Upgrading - quick question

Discussion in 'OS X' started by Matt-London, Jul 26, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2009

I currently have an iMac running Leopard and a mac mini with Snow Leopard.

I want to upgrade the iMac shortly to Lion so I first have to upgrade it to Snow Leopard. Can I use the Snow Leopard install DVD that came with my mac mini on my iMac? The disk has mac mini stamped on it so will it work and am I allowed?

2. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Mar 19, 2008
    Warrington, UK
    No, that disc is specific to the Mini. You'll have to buy a standard £/$29 Snow Leopard upgrade disc for the iMac.
  3. macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2011
    Jonesville, Virginia
    Clean Install

Hello Matt. You can't use the Mac Mini's disk for Mac OS X Snow Leopard, but there is still a way to get around this. You can download the Mac OS X Lion installation on your Mac Mini that has Snow Leopard on it. Once you have the installation application on your Mac Mini, you can burn the .dmg to a disk. Once you have the Mac OS X Lion .dmg on a disk, you can simply put it into the iMac and install a fresh copy. This should let you bypass the need for Snow Leopard. You should back up everything before you install Lion, because you'll be doing a clean install, not an upgrade. I hope this helps!
  4. macrumors 601

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    And the reason they made it that way was precisely to stop people from doing what you're asking if you can do. :blush:
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2009