Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:58 PM   #1
SR 7
macrumors regular

dock dividers Lion

are there any out there for OS X Lion? my old ones dont work with Lion apparently.
SR 7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Snookerman
macrumors 6502

Mine work fine, I used a terminal command I found on this forum, try searching for it.
Snookerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:58 AM   #3
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

any fix for this?
I cannot find a terminal command and they are now big "NO" signs...circle with diagonal line.
BJMRamage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

I would really like the code for this too! Miss my elegant dock dividers!
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
MWhiskerton
macrumors newbie

I would love to know the answer to this question also. I am afraid of the Terminal, though. LOL.
MWhiskerton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
chrf097
macrumors 68030

If you upgrade, I think it messes up, but the method to get them is exactly the same as Snow Leopard. Open the terminal and enter the following commands.

For left side (Application side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'
For right side (Folder/Trash side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'
Every time you enter it a new spacer is added. They won't show up until you reset the dock. Once you've done the command as many times as you want, type:
Code:
killall Dock
and the dock will reset. If you need to add more then just do the commands again. To take them out, drag them out like applications.

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
If you upgrade, I think it messes up, but the method to get them is exactly the same as Snow Leopard. Open the terminal and enter the following commands.

For left side (Application side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'
For right side (Folder/Trash side):
Code:
defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-others -array-add '{tile-data={}; tile-type="spacer-tile";}'
Every time you enter it a new spacer is added. They won't show up until you reset the dock. Once you've done the command as many times as you want, type:
Code:
killall Dock
and the dock will reset. If you need to add more then just do the commands again. To take them out, drag them out like applications.
I did some googling and this was all I could find. Not exactly what I had before, but arguably better! I think this is the way to go in Lion.
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:08 AM   #8
greeneyestyle
macrumors newbie

!!!Caution!!!

It may just be me, but I ran this and lost control of finder and many functions on my computer. The dock quite and did not restart and would not even after rebooting my computer. I thought I was going to have to re-install os x but managed to find another terminal command that fixed the problem.

I think this may be a problem only with os x 10.8.2 since that's what I'm running. It could also be because I mistakenly pasted the first command and then the killall dock command, skipping the second.

Idk anyways if anyone has a similar problem run the code below in terminal. To do this you may need to open terminal with spotlight using the shortcut command+space and typing in terminal then hitting "enter".

Code:
killall -KILL Dock
Then restart your computer after the screen turns grey and it should be working just fine when you log back in. I hope this helps someone!

P.S. I found the code by searching "killall dock mountain lion" in google and finding this link: http://bencollier.net/2012/08/mounta...g-active-apps/
greeneyestyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store