Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The title's confusing. Anyway.

The new 2011 MacBook Pros have two SATA connectors inside(one for the HDD and the other for the ODD). Most machines ship with a 3GB/s connector for the ODD and a 6GB/s connector for the HDD.

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the current 6GB/s HDD slot for an SSD and put the HDD in place of the ODD in the 3GB/s connection.

I'm guessing it'll work, but I just want some guarantees before I spend money or anything. Thanks!

JronMasteR

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2011
Switzerland
Works flawlessly for me. I have done that in May this year and had no issues so far. There are several optibay adaptors available, some are cheeper than others. All of them seem to work.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I pulled the optical drive and added an optibay and its been working flawlessly.

I opted for a second SSD since I wanted to avoid using a HD for various reasons.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
How do you guys handle the twin drives?

SSD for the OS and applications, and the HDD where you store all files and things?

Isn't that inconvenient? Maybe not. I had dual drives in my old desktop, but I used one for daily use and the other for bulk storage. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

I might look into something like this, but I still use the ODD occasionally and the prices of larger SSD drives are a little too high for my liking.

I think I'll order the Seagate Momentus XT as a stop gap until full sized (512Gb+) SSD's don't cost $1500.

Awperator

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
How do you guys handle the twin drives?

SSD for the OS and applications, and the HDD where you store all files and things?

Isn't that inconvenient? Maybe not. I had dual drives in my old desktop, but I used one for daily use and the other for bulk storage. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

I might look into something like this, but I still use the ODD occasionally and the prices of larger SSD drives are a little too high for my liking.

I think I'll order the Seagate Momentus XT as a stop gap until full sized (512Gb+) SSD's don't cost $1500.

That's how I do mine. I have the OS and my parallels images on the SSD, while my documents, movies, music, photos, etc are on the HDD. I aliased those folders so everything was working.
I used this post on reddit to help me, namely this part:

Symlink Instructions: The best way (that I know of) to efficiently create a working symbolic link is by using the terminal. Here is a list of what each of these four commands do:
Copy all files in your 'documents' folder into a new 'Documents' folder onto Macintosh Data HD (note, the * is used to indicate a space)
Modify the old Documents folder to allow it to be removed (usually Mac OS X prohibits this)
Remove the old Documents folder
Create a symbolic link where the old Documents folder used to be, that points to the newly copied Documents folder on Macintosh Data HD
cp -Rp ~/Documents /Volumes/MacintoshDataHD
chmod -R -N ~/Documents
rm -rf ~/Documents
ln -s /Volumes/MacintoshDataHD/Documents ~/Documents

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
If you have 240GB + 1TB, you mount the 1TB in ~/Movies and ~/Music and leave everything else on the SSD.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
If you have 240GB + 1TB, you mount the 1TB in ~/Movies and ~/Music and leave everything else on the SSD.

I bet I could make due with that arrangement. Especially if I could get an enclosure for my stock SuperDrive so that I could still use it if absolutely necessary.

What do 240Gb SSD's go for these days? Isn't having two drives going to kill battery life?

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
I bet I could make due with that arrangement. Especially if I could get an enclosure for my stock SuperDrive so that I could still use it if absolutely necessary.

What do 240Gb SSD's go for these days? Isn't having two drives going to kill battery life?

240GB Vertex 3 OEM is ~450 online in the USA, 1TB M8 is $90 or so, battery life won't be too bad, the vertex 3 is a bit heavier, but the 1TB drive is not bad, you'll lose a little battery, but the advantage is huge. I probably won't even need music mounted on the 1TB, just movies, as I've only got 30GB on my laptop. 240GB is a fair bit for an SSD.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Also too much money. Can't even begin to justify that amount right now.

I'll just get the Seagate Hybrid and wait for the price of SSD's to drop.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I'm about to buy a macbook (either air or pro). If I get the pro, I'm gonna put an ssd and was thinking about optibay too. But I read that an HDD in the optibay doesn't have the Sudden Motion Sensor, which means it will easily break if moved/shaken or something.
So can I have an SSD in the optibay and boot from it, and the HDD in its default place for data etc?

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I'm about to buy a macbook (either air or pro). If I get the pro, I'm gonna put an ssd and was thinking about optibay too. But I read that an HDD in the optibay doesn't have the Sudden Motion Sensor, which means it will easily break if moved/shaken or something.
So can I have an SSD in the optibay and boot from it, and the HDD in its default place for data etc?

bump.
tl-tr: What's the best option, hdd+optibay ssd(for boot) or ssd(for boot)+optibay hdd ?

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia

Ask yourself how many years laptop computers have existed, and been thrown around before sudden motion sensors existed. How many people do you know in your life that have dropped a laptop and found that their hard disk was the component that was damaged.

Its a fix for a problem that doesn't really exist.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Ask yourself how many years laptop computers have existed, and been thrown around before sudden motion sensors existed. How many people do you know in your life that have dropped a laptop and found that their hard disk was the component that was damaged.

Its a fix for a problem that doesn't really exist.

I didn't know that!
But to be honest, if the HDD is in the optibay only for data, it won't be on 100% of the time. So even if I drop it, I will probably only be using the ssd (can't drop a macbook while watching a movie, right?)
+the magnetic charger helps with drops :)
Thanks for the info. But I think I'll go with the air since it's 100euros more but has an 128gb ssd which is 200euros to buy.

BAC5.2

macrumors regular
May 16, 2011
Thanks for the info. But I think I'll go with the air since it's 100euros more but has an 128gb ssd which is 200euros to buy.

I wouldn't make my decision based on that, but if that's what you want then go for it!

blackbinary

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
I'd like to point out the SSD in the Air is only Sata 2, so your not even getting very good speeds.

Your much better off buying a sata 3 SSD to take full advantage of the sata 3 speeds (which means roughly double performance).

dsio

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Australia
I'd like to point out the SSD in the Air is only Sata 2, so your not even getting very good speeds.

Your much better off buying a sata 3 SSD to take full advantage of the sata 3 speeds (which means roughly double performance).

Reports are the SSD in the 13 airs are not much above SATA 1 speed at best, 180MB/s sequential is pretty weak for 2011.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.