Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
PLEASE READ http://whatpulse.org/policy/ - They don't store any information, they only count the key strokes. They don't store what keys you type.

I thought this would be a lovely community project that everyone could get involved in. It's free and easy.

Our team link: http://whatpulse.org/stats/teams/19402/

Go to WhatPulse.org - Sign up - then go to download page: http://whatpulse.org/downloads/ - Download the client needed (Big black X is for mac)

Then join the team with this link: http://whatpulse.org/my/teams/jointeam.php?join=19402

Let's see if we can get up the top of the list!

FAO:

1: Where is the client? - When you download the client, it will appear in your top bar with the logo W.
2: Is this spyware/keylogger - No it's a well known program used by millions to track your key strokes.

WhatPulse Stats:

Project WhatPulse has 165,934 active members, which have typed 411,089,890,696 keys, have clicked 159,078,667,600 times and moved their mouse 22,444,841 miles.

What is WhatPulse?

Sure we have a fancy website, loads of stats and lotsa users, but many people still wonder what WhatPulse exactly is. This page tries to explain a bit more about what it is, a simple keys, clicks and mouse usage counter.

The purpose of WhatPulse is simply to collect statistics about your computer behavior. Some people (Like me) use it to determine how long they've worked on something, like a programming project, a school essay, chatting by all means.

How does it work?

WhatPulse opens a so-called "keyhook" when it's booted, which listens to incoming Windows messages about the keyboard, the keyhook sends these messages to the program itself, and the program first determines if the key pressed is a proper key (Every standard keyboards' keys are counted) and then simply does PreviousKeyCount + 1.

Pulsing: When you "pulse", you're actually sending your keycounts in the program to the server along with other information about your Account, so the server can decide where to put the keycount. If the pulse goes according to plan, the server sends back an "OK", and the client's keycount is reset to 0 (zero), and your previous keys are added to your profile in the server database! :)

And for all you people who are thinking "oeh mi god a keylogger, no way!", well, exactly, No way. WhatPulse is not and never will be any sort of keylogger, it does not collect the keys you type, but only how many keys you type. (see our Privacy Policy)

If you would like to spread the word please put this in your signature:

Join the MacRumors WhatPulse team! Click here.

[*COLOR="Red"]Join the MacRumors WhatPulse team! Click [*URL="https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1205161/"]here[/URL].[/COLOR*] - Remove the * for it to work.

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's a team logo we can use, if you like.

Attachments

• Whatpulse-MacRumors.jpg
    Whatpulse-MacRumors.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 547

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Color me skeptical but this worries me and no matter what they say or what privacy policy they have in place, they are indeed logging something that I am doing and sending it to their server. Is their server secure? If you say yes then I ask, are you sure? Perhaps you can weigh in on this more. Have you been using the software?

I think your attempt to bring community together this way is nice. It probably brings people together a lot more than informing members that you find them, annoying as hell.

I just don't know that I would want my "strokes" logged even if they're claiming that they're not interested in which key was pressed, only that a key is pressed.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Color me skeptical but this worries me and no matter what they say or what privacy policy they have in place, they are indeed logging something that I am doing and sending it to their server. Is their server secure? If you say yes then I ask, are you sure? Perhaps you can weigh in on this more. Have you been using the software?

I think your attempt to bring community together this way is nice. It probably brings people together a lot more than informing members that you find them, annoying as hell.

I just don't know that I would want my "strokes" logged even if they're claiming that they're not interested in which key was pressed, only that a key is pressed.

Hi Jessica,

I've been using WhatPulse since 06, I've had no issues with it. :)

My profile: http://whatpulse.org/stats/users/199260/

Also: http://whatpulse.org/stats/signup-stats/

Last edited:

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
That's actually a pretty sick piece of software but I would rather not take part...

No problem Fun, still awaiting other people to sign up. Would be a good bit of fun, and to see how far we can get up the list. As I've said before, it's used by a lot of people, it's totally safe :) I've been using it since 06.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Last edited:

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
hey - good recommendation! i might sign up for this :) i do a LOT of typing ;)

Hey Dofo, thanks. Good to get someone on board :)

It's good fun, maybe get a few of the IRC guys/girls to sign up also? link them to this thread :) We'd get up in no time!

Just to confirm: http://whatpulse.org/policy/

"The client checks each keystroke as it is entered to ensure that it is a valid key, but the key itself is not stored"

They don't store any of your information, nor do they record what keys you type, they only count the keys you type. So it's not logging any of your information for anyone who is skeptical about it.

Thanks again :)

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Just updating, not many people have taken part yet. Hopefully we can get some more on board.

Let's get up the top ;)

Remember to read the privacy policy, WhatPulse don't store, nor read any keys you type. They just count any key you type.

Thanks.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just don't know that I would want my "strokes" logged....

What's a matter Jess, you haven't been strokin' it much recently? ;)

OP, I'm still a little confused about the whole point of this experience. What is WhatPulse doing with the data? Is this some massive research project or just something someone thought would be fun? I'm sure sustaining such an operation has some cost involved, servers, hosting, etc., what's their ultimate pay off or goal? Who's running it, an individual, a company, or an educational institution?

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
What's a matter Jess, you haven't been strokin' it much recently? ;)

OP, I'm still a little confused about the whole point of this experience. What is WhatPulse doing with the data? Is this some massive research project or just something someone thought would be fun? I'm sure sustaining such an operation has some cost involved, servers, hosting, etc., what's their ultimate pay off or goal? Who's running it, an individual, a company, or an educational institution?

I have no idea to be honest. Never thought it would be such an issue. Thanks for replying. :)

All I can say is I've never had any issues with it, nor has the 1000's of users who use it. :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I love the idea, and if it stored locally or in a private profile I can delete at any time I might consider it.

I've run into keyloggers before... my computer is one of the few things I have to myself. :p

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Due to the nature, and the non-support with this. I have shut the team down. Thanks to the small portion of people who took part :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.