Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:10 PM   #1
jamdr
macrumors 6502a

Jinkies! Acquisition is written in Java!!

If there's one app out there (Apple and non-Apple alike) that makes me think "Aqua GUI" it's Acquisition. Much to my surprise, I learned today that it's programmed in Java! I never even noticed--it always seemed like a lean, 100% native app to me. This is terrific, and great news for Java developers on OS X. Dave must use Cocoa-Java to accomplish this feat, which I've only heard bad things about. But now I've been inspired to give it a try and build a Cocoa GUI for one of my simple Swing apps. I would be more than willing to put a little extra effort into developing a Cocoa front-end for an otherwise cross-platform Java app if it meant greater acceptance by OS X users (who generally hold a negative view of Java, from what I've seen). Anyone have any comments on this?
jamdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:13 PM   #2
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

i love the look and feel and usablity of Aquasition, just hate the pop ups and annoying pleads to get my money, i would probably donate if it were not so annoying

good luck and be sure to share your app with all of us here!!
Old Apr 16, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3
gallivant
macrumors member

That's the great thing about Cocoa - it lets Java, which would be a fantastic language if its GUI options weren't complete trash, have a genuinely usable front-end. My own development work is probably going to be C#/Mono and Cocoa-Java from here on out.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 05:45 PM   #4
Jolix
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamdr
If there's one app out there (Apple and non-Apple alike) that makes me think "Aqua GUI" it's Acquisition. Much to my surprise, I learned today that it's programmed in Java! I never even noticed--it always seemed like a lean, 100% native app to me. This is terrific, and great news for Java developers on OS X. Dave must use Cocoa-Java to accomplish this feat, which I've only heard bad things about. But now I've been inspired to give it a try and build a Cocoa GUI for one of my simple Swing apps. I would be more than willing to put a little extra effort into developing a Cocoa front-end for an otherwise cross-platform Java app if it meant greater acceptance by OS X users (who generally hold a negative view of Java, from what I've seen). Anyone have any comments on this?
Actually Acquisition is coded in Cocoa/Objective-C. It uses the limewire core for all of the p2p networking, which is java. It launches the core with NSTask and reads the io with stdin/stdout. So it's actually 2 processes, Acquisition and AcquisitionCore(limewire).
Jolix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 04:25 PM   #5
harveypooka
macrumors 65816

Has anyone else's Acquisition code stopped working? I upgraded to Tiger
on friday, everything went fine, then this morning my code stopped working.
I've sent an email to the developer (Dave, I think) but emails never get
answered. Anybody else effected?
harveypooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 05:38 PM   #6
asif786
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to asif786 Send a message via MSN to asif786
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveypooka
Has anyone else's Acquisition code stopped working? I upgraded to Tiger
on friday, everything went fine, then this morning my code stopped working.
I've sent an email to the developer (Dave, I think) but emails never get
answered. Anybody else effected?
have you upgraded to Java 1.5? if you have, i believe there's known issues with acquisition and java 1.5..
asif786 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 05:41 PM   #7
fedora
macrumors member

It's cocoa, not java.
fedora is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 05:42 PM   #8
harveypooka
macrumors 65816

No, I'm still using Java 1.4.2...the Java 1.5 is a standalone installer, not available via software update? It must be a problem with my reg code then...hmm. Cheers!
harveypooka is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming