Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iViking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hi,

I have MS Office installed on my MBA. I need to replace this MBA for a new one, and want to transport MS OFFICE to the new one so I don't have to re-enter the pass key as I only have one validation to use. (Can only be used on 1 machine).

I have heard of migration assistant but have never used it. Will it allow you to migrate one program over, rather than everything on one MBA to another? I only want to migrate the installed MS Office, nothing else.

If so, how does one go about doing it?

Thanks!

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I would also like to know this as I have received my replacement MBA today and have Office 2011 installed on my faulty MBA

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Get carbon copy cloner it is free. You can clone the whole drive or copy individual directories.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
When you use Migration Assistant, I believe that all of the applications are moved. I did not see how to select specific applications... but then I did not search for that function either (I wanted all of them). Most applications move seamlessly... some require a re-entry of the serial key. Microsoft Office is one of the few where you will still need to enter the key on the new machine.

I keep all of my software keys stored in my 1Password vault. One of the benefits of this is that when you migrate to a new machine, it is trivial to re-enter software keys with a couple of clicks. It beats trying to find the software boxes.

/Jim

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
When you use Migration Assistant, I believe that all of the applications are moved. I did not see how to select specific applications... but then I did not search for that function either (I wanted all of them). Most applications move seamlessly... some require a re-entry of the serial key. Microsoft Office is one of the few where you will still need to enter the key on the new machine.

I keep all of my software keys stored in my 1Password vault. One of the benefits of this is that when you migrate to a new machine, it is trivial to re-enter software keys with a couple of clicks. It beats trying to find the software boxes.

/Jim

That is good to know but how do you get around the product key already being used on the faulty machine?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
That is good to know but how do you get around the product key already being used on the faulty machine?

When I recently replaced one of my MBAs with a new one... I secure wiped the old MBA, returned it to Apple... then used the same MS Office key on my replacement MBA.

I never had any problem doing this. I buy all of my software, do not duplicate keys across multiple machines (beyond what is permitted by the license agreement)... and I replace my machines frequently.

/Jim

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
When I recently replaced one of my MBAs with a new one... I secure wiped the old MBA, returned it to Apple... then used the same MS Office key on my replacement MBA.

I never had any problem doing this. I buy all of my software, do not duplicate keys across multiple machines (beyond what is permitted by the license agreement)... and I replace my machines frequently.

/Jim

Some MS Office 2011 products allow two installs, I will have to check later and report back.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
In my experience, if activation fails it's easy enough to call up the Microsoft activation hotline, explain the situation, and they give you an activation code. Just make it clear the other system was wiped and returned.

Unless you've tried it and Microsoft has told you "tough luck", I wouldn't worry about it.

chazmink

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Long Beach Island, NJ
I migrated everything including MS Office from my unibody MacBook to my new MBA 13 with no need for a code. Perfectly ethical since I the put a clean install on the old machine so am still only running one copy. Actually, I think you can install on a desktop AND laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.