Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:04 PM   #1
lionnewbie
macrumors newbie

Installing Photoshop on 64 bits and switching to 32 on Lion

Hi,

I will be installing photoshop CS5 on my new macbook air i5.

As some of you may be aware, Lion and I believe Leopard run as 64 bit operating systems, but apparently you can switch easily to 32 bits by rebooting the machine and holding down the keys 2 and 3.

My question is, have any of you installed Photoshop CS5 on lion yet, and can you please let me know if you can run Photoshop when the operating system is running at 32 bits?

And don't worry about needing to do anything to switch back to 64. It does it automatically once you reboot again after being in 32 bit mode.

The reason I ask is because I run some special work related programs that only run while the OS is set to 32, so I want to know if it is possible to run Photoshop irrespective of how you are running Lion.

Thanks so much for your info.
lionnewbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:08 PM   #2
iTabone
macrumors regular

I'm actually thinking of going lighter and using the slim PS on the Mac App Store.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:10 PM   #3
lionnewbie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTabone View Post
I'm actually thinking of going lighter and using the slim PS on the Mac App Store.
Which features are missing from that version when compared to the full version you can download from the adobe site?
lionnewbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:50 PM   #4
ro050408
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTabone View Post
I just checked the App Store, and I do not see any versions of Photoshop on there. What are you seeing?
ro050408 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:24 AM   #5
Charcoalwerks
macrumors regular

You can get Elements on the App store.

Thumb resize.
Charcoalwerks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:32 AM   #6
B.Chang
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcoalwerks View Post
You can get Elements on the App store.

Thumb resize.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the PSE on the App store is a cut down version of elements.
B.Chang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:59 AM   #7
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionnewbie View Post
Hi,

I will be installing photoshop CS5 on my new macbook air i5.

As some of you may be aware, Lion and I believe Leopard run as 64 bit operating systems, but apparently you can switch easily to 32 bits by rebooting the machine and holding down the keys 2 and 3.

My question is, have any of you installed Photoshop CS5 on lion yet, and can you please let me know if you can run Photoshop when the operating system is running at 32 bits?

And don't worry about needing to do anything to switch back to 64. It does it automatically once you reboot again after being in 32 bit mode.

The reason I ask is because I run some special work related programs that only run while the OS is set to 32, so I want to know if it is possible to run Photoshop irrespective of how you are running Lion.

Thanks so much for your info.
From another thread I see you're buying a MacBook Air.

You should know that, as far as I've read, Lion runs full-time as a 64-bit kernel. If you have software that runs only on a 32-bit kernel, you better make sure it's Lion compatible. AFAIK there is no 32-bit kernel on Lion.

And the new MBAs only run Lion.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you'll need to check it out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Chang View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the PSE on the App store is a cut down version of elements.
I think it's missing the photo organizer module. They're presuming the buyer will be using iPhoto for that functionality.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:16 AM   #8
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionnewbie View Post

Photoshop CS5 will run as a 64-bit app even on a 32-bit kernel, so you don't need to do anything with it. Most applications don't directly interact with the kernel.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:00 PM   #9
wordplanet
macrumors newbie

You can switch Photoshop CS5 to 32 bit on Lion to work with plug-ins such as vertus. You also need to run it in 32-bit mode if you want to use the Exposure slider in Photoshop (not in RAW, that runs at 64-bit). I've done it. It doesn't switch back to 64-bit when you restart the computer, at least not on my iMac nor on my Macbook Pro - both running Lion and CS5.
wordplanet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:12 PM   #10
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordplanet View Post
You also need to run it in 32-bit mode if you want to use the Exposure slider in Photoshop (not in RAW, that runs at 64-bit). I've done it. It doesn't switch back to 64-bit when you restart the computer, at least not on my iMac nor on my Macbook Pro - both running Lion and CS5.

My CS5 exposure slider works fine, and I don't ever run it in 32bit....and thats on my MBA and my iMac...
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air