Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The City of Cupertino posted more details about Apple's "spaceship" campus that was first revealed in June. The project includes the following:

• An Office, Research and Development Building comprising approximately 2.8 million square feet;
• A 1,000 seat Corporate Auditorium;
• A Corporate Fitness Center;
• Research Facilities comprising approximately 300,000 square feet;
• A Central Plant; and
• Associated Parking.

The new posting also includes Apple's proposal documents (in PDF) that contain the Introduction, Site Plan & Landscaping, Floor Plans and Renderings.

Click for larger​
The overview was revealed back in June, but the availability of the PDFs offer a closer look at what Apple is proposing and higher quality renders of Apple's expected new campus. As Steve Jobs described it back in June:
It's a pretty amazing building. It's a little like a spaceship landed. It's got this gorgeous courtyard in the middle... It's a circle. It's curved all the way around. If you build things, this is not the cheapest way to build something. There is not a straight piece of glass in this building. It's all curved. We've used our experience making retail buildings all over the world now, and we know how to make the biggest pieces of glass in the world for architectural use. And, we want to make the glass specifically for this building here. We can make it curve all the way around the building... It's pretty cool.
The City of Cupertino later revealed they were certain to approve Apple's proposal, and that the structure is expected to be completed in 2015.

Article Link: Cupertino.org Posts More Details about Apple's New 'Spaceship' Campus

Last edited by a moderator:

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
This could easily be the next wonder of the world. I would love to see this building in person!

I'm going to feel bad for 1 Infinite Loop, though. Poor baby..it's going to be overshadowed by the new HQ.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
I think I am going to look for a job at apple. Let's see, what can a trained elementary teacher do for apple? I sure hope something to get out of this life sucking job...

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5288d)

Such a beautiful design. Definitely the flagship building in Apple's portfolio.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Design is awesome, agree.
But looking at the floor plan too much open space for me. I know, my own company is in favor of it but i still don't like it. For some concentrated brain work it's just not nice to have all the noisy colleagues around you.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Doesn't look like Arn or anyone else is going to be liveblogging Apple events held at their HQ after 2015 since the auditorium is underground.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Mecca

We'll be traveling there...

Attachments

• mecca_01.jpg
    mecca_01.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 684

HatchSZ

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Parking lot is as large as the main building

Which goes to show how 'green' the building is. No one will ever walk or bike to the campus. The property is huge and set apart from the community and teh street grid.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
TBH, i think they need to work with the city to have the address of this building changed to 1 Infinite Loop, because obviously this is the real infinite loop. The address of the old headquarters should be changed to something else.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
A central plant? So Apple is going to build their devices there? :cool:

Edit: Or they talking about the garden in the middle?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

HatchSZ said:
Which goes to show how 'green' the building is. No one will ever walk or bike to the campus. The property is huge and set apart from the community and teh street grid.

Yeah, unfortunately the Santa Clara valley is a bit of a sprawling suburban mess.

blouis79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
they should make the perimeter in the shape of an apple. Now that would be sick

Steve would want this to be a giant Apple logo visible from space. More than likely the convention centre would be in the leaf.

Just keeping it a well guarded secret for now....

Last edited:

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I don't see it on the floor plan, but it would be nice if they had a public retail and/or company store at their new showpiece.

The 1,000 person auditorium complete with exhibit area is interesting. Who needs Moscone or Yerba Buena now. I wonder how many people their current Town Hall auditorium houses?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.