Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Hy, I was wondering, Ivy bridge won't come until the Q of 2012, that's still a long way. That would mean that the MBP would be 500+ days old before a refresh. I know that that can't be true...

So they'll probably upgrade it once before Ivy bridge right?

Does anyone have any more information about this manner?

Does anyone knows more of what to expect?

My thought:
In order to keep the MBP up-to-date without new CPU's they will need to upgrade it. What they'll ptobably do is:

Give it
§ a new look
§ Bluetooth 4.0
§ maybe a longer batterie life
§ 8GB RAM standard, could be true
§ 256 GB ssd could be true ('cause Apple ssd and RAM is nowadays, well lets say overpriced, so they could do this without a to high price increase, my guess is 100 or 150$ more standard)

Make it:
§ smaller (thinner)
§ lighter

I also think that if Apple will held a media event around the 7th september, they'll probably announce it then..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I know, but I haven't read a single rumor about it...
And that's strange, there should be at least one.

No not really, the lack of rumors is not unusual especially if the the refresh is a still a ways off.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Hy, I was wondering, Ivy bridge won't come until the Q of 2012, that's still a long way. That would mean that the MBP would be 500+ days old before a refresh. I know that that can't be true...
Where are you getting 500+ days from?

The last refresh was Feb 2011. Ivy Bridge is due out Q1 2012 so a refresh could be coming out Feb/Mar 2012. That is less then 400 days.

If they are doing a redesign which is likely I'm sure they will wait till Ivy Bridge is released so this cycle could be a tiny bit longer then the last one.

But then again who knows. If they do an update in October it will be minor stuff so it will probably still have an optical drive and no SSD as standard.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
At best we'd get a spec bump, but that's assuming Intel releases an interim CPU bump (like .5-1x multiplier bump or something at the same price point of the current CPUs).

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Isn't Intel supposed to support USB 3.0 on Ivy Bridge? Perhaps Apple will finally include that once Intel supports it.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010

My thought:
In order to keep the MBP up-to-date without new CPU's they will need to upgrade it. What they'll ptobably do is:

Give it
§ a new look
§ Bluetooth 4.0
§ 256 GB ssd could be true ('cause Apple ssd and RAM is nowadays, well lets say overpriced, so they could do this without a to high price increase, my guess is 100 or 150$ more standard)

Make it:
§ smaller (thinner)
§ lighter

I also think that if Apple will held a media event around the 7th september, they'll probably announce it then..

About Your analysis

1. New look = maybe
2. Bluetooth 4.0 = Yes because damn MBA has it.
3. Longer battery life = 7 hours is pretty good for as it is. Apple laptops stand out better in battery life test compare to any other laptops.
4. 8GB ram Standard = No.
5. 256 GB SSD standard = Yes, but did you see how much apple charges for it on 13 inch MBA? It was 300 dollars extra from 128GB SSD. They will ask around same price.

6. Apple will announce at September Media Event = Uh no... MBP has been only out for less than 6 months and it is not due for refresh anytime soon.
iPhone and iPods have almost reached a year or more in product cycle and they need to be updated.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Perhaps.
Apple does, we don't.

See above answer.
Give it
§ a new look
§ Bluetooth 4.0

Make it:
§ smaller (thinner)
§ lighter
1. Why? This design isn't even 3 years old yet, the old one(non-unibody) was virtually the same for 7 years. I doubt it's happening anytime soon.
2. If you use bluetooth that much, that's fine, mine gets used for a mouse.
3. How? The battery is already the biggest one they can fit without compromising even more on components.
4. Maybe, but then they wouldn't make the ludicrous amount of profit they do on upgrades.
5. Maybe, but some users need/want more storage.

Smaller and lighter? How? It's already cramped enough as it is in the current case design, making it smaller and lighter would also mean making it less powerful.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
great anothr rumour thread

no one will know till its released.

if u want amacbook pro now, buy it and enjoy it.

Meldar

macrumors regular
Yes to the above post...

Also, I highly doubt we'll see any physical changes. The current model is really quite fabulously futuristic and unbelievably thin once one considers how high the processors are clocked and yet how proportionally little heat the machine puts out. At 100% CPU usage my early 2010 model runs at a max of 75 degrees Celsius. Would I like a newer Sandy Bridge machine, sure. Do I need it, no.

The problem with these kind of rumors is they almost invariably lead people to believe the new models of anything will be above and beyond anything we've ever seen, while in reality they tend to be simple minor updates or basic performance tweaks to keep them ahead of the curve just so. Good for people who want a MBP but think they might want to wait, bad for people like my dad and me, who sometimes find it difficult to distinguish between a shiny gadget and a crucially improved precision machine.

8GB of RAM would be nice but honestly, those who need it can install it themselves or have it installed, since I don't think the end user can really modify the current MBP beyond the HDD. Thinner, doubt it. Smaller, hope not, 15" is great.

A higher clocked i7 might be nice to see in the absolute highest end model though.

Titanium81

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2011

My thought:

Give it
§ a new look
§ Bluetooth 4.0

Make it:
§ smaller (thinner)
§ lighter

Here is the Break-down for the new MacBook Pro :)

15" MacBook Pro

* 0.5lb lighter
* 1/10 Inch Thinner
* Liquid Metal Case
* CD/DVD/Blu-ray Drive
* 256GB SSD (Standard)
* 8GB RAM (Standard)
* 512MB VRAM (Standard)
* 1920x1200 Display (Standard)
* Bluetooth 4.0

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Here is the Break-down for the new MacBook Pro :)

15" MacBook Pro

* 0.5lb lighter
* 1/10 Inch Thinner
* Liquid Metal Case
* CD/DVD/Blu-ray Drive
* 256GB SSD (Standard)
* 8GB RAM (Standard)
* 512MB VRAM (Standard)
* 1920x1200 Display (Standard)
* Bluetooth 4.0

I would bet the farm that there will *never* be a blu-ray drive in *any* apple product. I mean seriously they removed the optical drive out of the mini the one product that would of benefited greatly from a blu-ray drive for all those using them for media servers.

It is pretty much a forgone conclusion that at least the 13 & 15 MPB will shed the optical drive in a redesign to make them thinner. Just like the floppy drive from days past the Optical drives days are numbered.

8gb of RAM would be great if the price stays the same.

256gb ssd standard. I don't think that will happen until a redesign and the optical dive is removed and they have the option to include a second HDD for storage. 256gb is pretty low if they are only going to have 1 HDD. If that is the case I cannot see them using 256 SDD drives as standard when a 500gb drive is way cheaper.

1900x1200 on a 15" screen. Not sure how that would look. The current hi-res screen is a pretty good resolution.

Ulf1103

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
I would bet the farm that there will *never* be a blu-ray drive in *any* apple product. I mean seriously they removed the optical drive out of the mini the one product that would of benefited greatly from a blu-ray drive for all those using them for media servers.

It is pretty much a forgone conclusion that at least the 13 & 15 MPB will shed the optical drive in a redesign to make them thinner. Just like the floppy drive from days past the Optical drives days are numbered.

8gb of RAM would be great if the price stays the same.

256gb ssd standard. I don't think that will happen until a redesign and the optical dive is removed and they have the option to include a second HDD for storage. 256gb is pretty low if they are only going to have 1 HDD. If that is the case I cannot see them using 256 SDD drives as standard when a 500gb drive is way cheaper.

1900x1200 on a 15" screen. Not sure how that would look. The current hi-res screen is a pretty good resolution.

Indeed, for all the people, I also mend that Apple would lose the optical drive for an extra HDD :p

----------

The last refresh was Feb 2011. Ivy Bridge is due out Q1 2012 so a refresh could be coming out Feb/Mar 2012. That is less then 400 days.

If they are doing a redesign which is likely I'm sure they will wait till Ivy Bridge is released so this cycle could be a tiny bit longer then the last one.

But then again who knows. If they do an update in October it will be minor stuff so it will probably still have an optical drive and no SSD as standard.

I really thought it was Q2 that there was said on the rumor... :S

Ironsoccerman

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Detroit, MI

Actually it isnt due for notebooks until about june 2012... so go update yourself

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1204402/ :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.