Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
aricher said:
How old is your DVD player? I can get VCD to play in my new Sony but not my 3 year old one.

age has nothing to do with ... i have a brand new DENON that doesn't play VCD's

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Part of it is regional too. VCDs are a lot more common in Asia (they're used instead of VHS), so the DVD players released here tend to support them. On the other hand, the models released in, say, the US may not all support VCD.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Basically, you have to check the DVD player for compatibility.
I have a YAKUMO player that plays DVD, VCD, MP3, anything in MPEG format (even .AVI and .MPG) and can even read folder stucture, so I can burn a normal data DVD, and as long as it has MPEG format, it can read it!
And all this for £30! - Look cheap - a lot of the more expensive players play DVDs really well, but don't have all those features built in.

The YAKUMO player is here - check out those supported formats!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yep, sounds like similar features to my Philips 625, which I got for free with one of those 'bonus points' schemes :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Toast Titanium 5 gave me an "Export to VCD" option in iMovie and FCE. I'd think Toast 6 would do the same.

Inspector Lee

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
East Lansing, MI
litosclone said:
I use Toast for making VCD's. but you still have the problem of some DVD players not playing them.

Have you included iTMS tracks on these VCDs you burn with Toast or does the DRM shut it down. I can't burn purchased music via Toast anymore. I read somewhere that Cupertino blew it out with a Quicktime update.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
aricher said:
How old is your DVD player? I can get VCD to play in my new Sony but not my 3 year old one.

My (very) old Sony 5-discs DVD player does play VCDs but only if I use blue-dye discs and I burn at 1x (higher than that and it has problems reading past about 20 minutes).

Other dye colors usually result in the player telling me "no disc". :rolleyes:

Is that LaCie external FireWire, Dual-Layer, LightScribe-capable burner out, yet? (it even comes with Toast if you buy the Mac version).

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
bluemonkey said:
How do I do this? I tried exporting from iMovie to Quicktime, and also to MPEG-4 and the discs were unreadable to my Sony DVD player. Do I need some sort of special authoring software?
VCDs are MPEG1, and SVCDs are MPEG2. http://www.videohelp.com has all the answers and tutorials for how to create VCDs. This link (if it works) has all the Mac OS guides:
http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php...=0&listallusers=&search=Search+or+List+Guides
this seems helpful:
http://homepage.mac.com/major4/fcp_vcd.html

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia

litosclone

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2003
City of the Crosses
Inspector Lee said:
Have you included iTMS tracks on these VCDs you burn with Toast or does the DRM shut it down. I can't burn purchased music via Toast anymore. I read somewhere that Cupertino blew it out with a Quicktime update.

I have not tried to include iTM track on to the VCDs, I mainly use toast for making VCDs of my short films and the music is added to the final movie. But you have me curios, I'm going to play with that, see if I can’t add hidden features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.