Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
I have a 12 inch ibook g4 1 ghz and all of a sudden today i noticed that pressing the F12 key no longer ejects CDs from the combo drive. any ideas on what might have happened?

the only thing i've noticed is that also, F12 now opens a "save as" dialog box in ms word when word is open. otherwise the key doesn't do anything at all, other than make the beeping noise.

Ogre55

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2005
Try going into you system preference and choose the keyboard panel. There is a check box that says something about F7-F12. If I have it check F12 just beeps at me. Check and see if the box is checked. If it is try unchecking it and see if that helps.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There have been reports that this sometimes happens to iBooks on the dot upgrades to Panther...people reported it for 10.3.7->10.3.8 and 10.3.8->10.3.9. Some people have reported that repairing disk permissions, fully shutting down the computer and rebooting, and then repairing disk permissions again, and fully shutting down and rebooting again, will solve the problem, but I have not gotten around to trying it yet....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.