Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Sep 2, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1
zanax
macrumors newbie

How to flip (left to right) screen

I am trying to make a DIY heads up display (HUD) for my car using a macmini onboard. The problem is I want to project the screen image onto my windshield and it appears flipped (left to right) since it is a reflection of my screen. So I am looking for a app or a built-in config option that will allow me to flip the screen image so that when finally viewed as a reflection on the windshield it will appear corrected.
I am not a programmer and know nothing about coding so I am unable to troubleshoot this. However I also have a linux box (running Ubuntu) and I know that you can play with something called "XRANDR" and put "-x or -y" to flip the screen image left to right or top to bottom. Wondering if mac would have some feature like that. Googling didn't help much.
Any pointers would be helpful.

What I am NOT looking for is:
1> simple screen mirroring
2> rotation of screen image 90, 180 degrees etc.

My macmini runs Snow leopard, intelmac, w/AMD Radeon HD 6630 graphics

Last edited by zanax; Sep 2, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
zanax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:23 AM   #2
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

I know that MAME on the PC has a command line switch that allows for horizontal flipping, so that you can play video games in a cabinet with mirrors. I wonder if the MacMAME port has the same setting, and if so how, it'd be interesting to see how it is implemented. Maybe digging around in http://www.macmame.org/ might help. You might have to learn a little coding before tackling this project...

Last edited by OllyW; Sep 10, 2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: clean up
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Tags
flip screen, left to right, mirroring