Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:01 AM   #1
orkyz!
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I can't get my iPhone out of recovery mode!

I have had my jailbroken iPhone 4 for about a year now, and it had been running smoothly until it just got stuck on recovery mode yesterday. I tried the hold power button and home button thingy but it didn't work. I tried tiny umbrella and it didn't work. iTunes doesn't even recognise my phone's name! It doesn't give me an option for me to restore from a backup! I tried restoring but even that failed. It says The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1013).
Please help!
orkyz! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Fulaeetoy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Your current firmware? Last thing you do when your phone goes to recovery mode?
Fulaeetoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a
 
Frosticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by orkyz! View Post
I have had my jailbroken iPhone 4 for about a year now, and it had been running smoothly until it just got stuck on recovery mode yesterday. I tried the hold power button and home button thingy but it didn't work. I tried tiny umbrella and it didn't work. iTunes doesn't even recognise my phone's name! It doesn't give me an option for me to restore from a backup! I tried restoring but even that failed. It says The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1013).
Please help!
This is why I don't jailbreak.

Other than checking you've got the latest version of iTunes and trying a restore, I think you might be out of options.
__________________
iPhone 5S 32GB |iPad (3rd gen.) 4G 32GB | 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5 | Apple TV 2 | iPod Nano 8GB
Frosticus is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 02:15 AM   #4
ManBearWaffle
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
If you're on a Mac, do the following:

Open Terminal
Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" without quotes, of course
Type in your password
Put a # in front of the IP addresses for gs.apple.com
Press CTRL + O to save and then CTRL + X to exit

Now, restore your iPhone.
ManBearWaffle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 03:22 AM   #5
orkyz!
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I'm not on a mac
I updated iTunes and tried to restore my iPhone again but it didn't work.
orkyz! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a
 
Frosticus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Easy then, Applecare.

Oh, wait..
__________________
iPhone 5S 32GB |iPad (3rd gen.) 4G 32GB | 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5 | Apple TV 2 | iPod Nano 8GB
Frosticus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 02:12 PM   #7
mindyish
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Not sure what you were doing when it went into recovery mode as you didn't include that in your post but I recently had this issue and was able to fix it with tinyumbrella recovery loop fix :

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Download it from there.

It may give you an error when you try and run it depending on if you are on mac or pc and such. The error will say you are missing a zlib.dll file. You can download that from here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?zlib1

I didn't trust saving directly into my system folder but you have to put it directly in the same folder as the program that needs it (after unzip) and it should run then because the program will try and locate this dll on its own.

This worked for me getting out of recovery and itunes wouldnt let me restore.
mindyish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
piethingy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Smile Thank You

ManBearWaffle your solution was the only thing that worked for me Thank You


----------

Thank you so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearWaffle View Post
If you're on a Mac, do the following:

Open Terminal
Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" without quotes, of course
Type in your password
Put a # in front of the IP addresses for gs.apple.com
Press CTRL + O to save and then CTRL + X to exit

Now, restore your iPhone.
piethingy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:04 AM   #9
rociogzzs
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by piethingy View Post
ManBearWaffle your solution was the only thing that worked for me Thank You


----------

Thank you so much
---------

What password did you insert? the one of your Mac or your iphone's password????

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBearWaffle View Post
If you're on a Mac, do the following:

Open Terminal
Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" without quotes, of course
Type in your password
Put a # in front of the IP addresses for gs.apple.com
Press CTRL + O to save and then CTRL + X to exit

Now, restore your iPhone.
---------

I did everything but when y try to CTRL + X (to exit) the window doesn't close. =( I don't know what to do!!
rociogzzs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:26 AM   #10
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
If you are stuck in Recovery loop you should try the recovery loop fix in redsn0w. And if that don't work try the one in iREB.
TheRainKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #11
sha4000
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyish View Post
Not sure what you were doing when it went into recovery mode as you didn't include that in your post but I recently had this issue and was able to fix it with tinyumbrella recovery loop fix :

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

Download it from there.

It may give you an error when you try and run it depending on if you are on mac or pc and such. The error will say you are missing a zlib.dll file. You can download that from here:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?zlib1

I didn't trust saving directly into my system folder but you have to put it directly in the same folder as the program that needs it (after unzip) and it should run then because the program will try and locate this dll on its own.

This worked for me getting out of recovery and itunes wouldnt let me restore.
This worked for me. My sons 4 battery died so I ordered one from Amazon but when I installed it the thing was on recovery mode. I guess from me holding power and home so many times to see if it would boot up before I figured out the battery was gone. Anyway I downloaded Tinyumbrella and kicked it right out of recovery mode. Thanks for the post.
sha4000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Iphone 3g - data recovery from recovery mode alifenorm iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Nov 2, 2013 02:53 AM
iPhone 3G Data recovery while in recovery mode Merklynn iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Aug 23, 2013 03:36 AM
iPhone Recovery Mode markgixxer750 iPhone 1 Mar 30, 2013 04:24 AM
Help! iPhone 5 in recovery mode - possible carry out recovery from second computer? pullman iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Dec 24, 2012 12:40 AM
Stuck in Recovery Mode with my iPhone 3G (i cant do DFU mode!!) Moskiton Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Jun 8, 2012 02:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC