Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone5.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Apple's suppliers for the next-generation iPhone are ramping toward full production capacity, with manufacturing partner Foxconn already said to be producing 150,000 iPhone 5 units per day.
Suppliers in the iPhone 5 supply chain in Taiwan have geared up production recently with volume shipments of the new Apple smartphones to begin soon. Production of iPhone 5s at OEM maker Foxconn Electronics has reportedly reached 150,000 units per day, according to industry sources.

Lens maker Largan Precision, touch panel maker TPK Holding, reinforced glass supplier G-Tech Optoelectronics and battery vendors Simplo and Dynapack are all operating at full swing currently, the sources indicated.
iPhone 5 shipments are said to be set to reach 5-6 million for the month of September and over 22 million for the fourth quarter of the year. Interestingly, the report notes that while Pegatron has reportedly been tabbed to handle about 15% of the iPhone 5 production load, the company may not begin deliveries until next year.

The report makes no mention of any distinction between the iPhone 5 and the so-called "iPhone 4S", as some sources have indicated that Apple will introduce both a revamped iPhone 5 as well as a cheaper device codenamed "N94" based on the existing iPhone 4 design. Apple has already had considerable success with its cheaper iPhone models carried over from previous model cycles, as evidenced by the fact that the iPhone 3GS continues to rank as the second-best selling smartphone in the United States, behind the iPhone 4.

Details on the iPhone 5 remain scarce, with conflicting information pointing to either an only slightly larger display of up to around 3.7 inches on a device similar in size to the iPhone 4 or a significantly larger but thinner device with a display likely around 4 inches.

Article Link: Foxconn's iPhone 5 Production Already Hitting 150,000 Units Per Day?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I don't know about Foxconn, but MacRumors seems like it's hitting 150,000 Rumors per day. Can't we consolidate all of these into a single "We have nothing really of value to say, but let's post it anyway" tab ?

Seriously, at this point, the iPhone 5 is a 2.5" device with a 5" screen, it has a tapered and very slim design that is the same as the iPhone 4's case with a LTE world chip available in seperate GSM and CDMA models with only HSPA+ running off a single core Cortex A8 processor that is the A5 found in the iPad 2.

(Yes, I know none of that makes sense... kind of the point of what I'm trying to say).

It's to the point where it's not even rumors anymore, it's just idle speculation about everything, nothing and anything Apple could do.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
If we haven't seen new parts for an iPhone re-design, I can't help but think it means one won't be forthcoming.

Glass phone = No purchase from me.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Exciting, here's to hoping for a Media event soon to see what this thing actually looks like. I am looking forward to an iPhone that has the edge to edge screen and less boarder top and bottom. I hope the rumors are true.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I don't know about Foxconn, but MacRumors seems like it's hitting 150,000 Rumors per day. Can't we consolidate all of these into a single "We have nothing really of value to say, but let's post it anyway" tab ?

Seriously, this is how the rumors work. This is to be expected for a product this anticipated, and this delayed.

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Uh, are both white and black models going to be released at launch?

I'd like Chromatic models like the iPod Nano myself. But that would probably be a couple too many SKUs for Apple.

Seriously, this is how the rumors work. This is to be expected for a product this anticipated, and this delayed.

This is not "Rumors", this is "Speculation". Rumors tend to have a basis in evidence. At this point, all the different and contradicting "rumors" are just mere speculation by different blogs. A single aggregate thread for all of these would be sufficient.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

Seriously, at this point, the iPhone 5 is a 2.5" device with a 5" screen, it has a tapered and very slim design that is the same as the iPhone 4's case with a LTE world chip available in seperate GSM and CDMA models with only HSPA+ running off a single core Cortex A8 processor that is the A5 found in the iPad 2.

(Yes, I know none of that makes sense... kind of the point of what I'm trying to say).

It's to the point where it's not even rumors anymore, it's just idle speculation about everything, nothing and anything Apple could do.

That is why its called MacRumors and not MacFacts.

Rumor defined:
1. unverified report - a generally circulated story, report, or statement without facts to confirm its truth
2. idle speculation - general talk or opinions of uncertain reliability

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Release the damn phone already. I am sick of iphone 5 rumors, lets do iphone 6 rumors please!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This is not "Rumors", this is "Speculation". Rumors tend to have a basis in evidence. At this point, all the different and contradicting "rumors" are just mere speculation by different blogs. A single aggregate thread for all of these would be sufficient.

It is sources from an industry publication. Given those sources cannot be independently verified by everyone, it becomes a rumor. Not speculation. Speculation is something an overpaid analyst does.

Having an aggregate thread defeats the purpose of many macrumors readers who come here only to read stories or don't check a thread after the first few hours of it being posted.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Uh, are both white and black models going to be released at launch?
Probably, just like the iPad 2.

Release the damn phone already. I am sick of iphone 5 rumors, lets do iphone 6 rumors please!
No, Apple, take your time, get it right. Only a fool would want you to rush anything out door, particular the product that generates over half of your revenue and has your fattest margins.

Windmill360

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
A source close to Apple says the next gen phone wont be launched until the first week of December and that delays were caused by Jobs' recent decline in health, which lead to a lack of leadership and overall company direction with it's new products.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
they have already started iphone 5 production and we haven't seen one LEGIT leak photo of it? Amazing...

Bondomination

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
Bellevue
A source close to Apple says the next gen phone wont be launched until the first week of December and that delays were caused by Jobs' recent decline in health, which lead to a lack of leadership and overall company direction with it's new products.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that you just completely made that up. Your not helping the rumor war we got going on here. December isnt likely, doesn't give consumers enough time to review the device for those holiday shoppers we have out there. Anything for the holidays will be released a month or two before.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

OH no. I knew this woud happen! How can I wait again so long? How can they make iPhone5 at foxconn but then is delay? So bad.

nickdelvecchio

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
AZ
aaaand here we go.

I'm glad we're getting past the "what does it look like?!?" rumors and getting into the production and when we are going to hear from Apple rumors. I'm ready! what do you guys think??? media event next week? week after??? i'm hoping the 14th!

Beardy man

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
So what will it REALLY look like?

I can't believe that they are, at this moment, producing 150,000 per day - nearly 1,000,000 per chinese week (longer working hours than us?) and yet, not one of these has passed Mr Blurry Cam? Really?

oops, sorry Jett0515 - just saw your post ;-)

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
aaaand here we go.

I'm glad we're getting past the "what does it look like?!?" rumors and getting into the production and when we are going to hear from Apple rumors. I'm ready! what do you guys think??? media event next week? week after??? i'm hoping the 14th!

Yeah if the 14th sounds right if they plan on releasing it in in early October

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
they have already started iphone 5 production and we haven't seen one LEGIT leak photo of it? Amazing...

Well, remember how people from China to the US were sued for iPhone 4 and iPad 2? Some were fined thousands of dollars, some went to jail, and at minimum a lot lost their jobs? Yea, I don't think anyone is willing to cross this bridge again, just to entertain the web community.

deellow

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309
Am I the only one that will be sorely disappointed if the new iPhone is just a bump after waiting so long? I would've been ok with a bump had it gone on sale back in July, but these extra few months better mean a new product.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
Glad to know that my future phone is being assembled as I type this :cool:

Me too, the Nexus-Prime will really show Apple how to make a super-smartphone, I actually feel bad for them. The Prime will look like it came from Commander Data traveling back in time, to give us his 24th century tricorder, where as the i5, well meh, not so much.

nickdelvecchio

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
AZ
Yeah the 14th sounds right if they plan on releasing it in in early October

For sure. lets hope we will see media invites pop up soon! especially if there's any chance of the event being Wednesday.

-FINALLY convinced my wife to let me sell my Verizon iPhone 4 and we're going to get 2 iPhone 5s (or whatever the crap they will call it this time) so i'm stoked to see how awesome this one is.

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
Well, remember how people from China to the US were sued for iPhone 4 and iPad 2? Some were fined thousands of dollars, some went to jail, and at minimum a lot lost their jobs? Yea, I don't think anyone is willing to cross this bridge again, just to entertain the web community.

Exactly, they see the new phone all day, and are probably sick of it already :) And to risk their hard earned pay that puts food on the table, no way would they give two *****s about leaking pic's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.