Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
OWC Announces 6Gbps SSD Upgrade for 2011 MacBook Air






Other World Computing, which offers many customization and upgrade options for Macs, today released an SSD upgrade for 2011 MacBook Airs that takes advantage of the MBA's SATA Revision 3.0 abilities and offers 6 Gigabits of potential throughput.

The factory SSD from Apple only supports SATA Revision 2.0, which maxes out at 3 Gbps, half the speed of Revision 3.0.
Quote:
The new OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G SSDs combine award-winning SandForce technologies and Tier 1/Grade A Toggle Synchronous NAND to deliver data rates that are more than 3x faster and capacities that are up to 4x greater than factory available SSD options. Currently available in two sizes-120GB and 240GB-the new 6Gb/s SATA 3.0 Revision models continue OWC's position as the only alternative to factory SSD options for the 2010-2011 MacBook Air.
The upgrades don't come cheap, however. The 120GB version is $349.99 and the 240GB version is $599.99.

The MacBook Air comes standard with 64GB, 128GB or 256GB of storage.

Article Link: OWC Announces 6Gbps SSD Upgrade for 2011 MacBook Air
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:07 PM   #2
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
The title of this post says these are for the 2011 MBA's but the quote mentions the 2010 also. Can they be used on the 2010 MBA's?
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:13 PM   #3
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
The title of this post says these are for the 2011 MBA's but the quote mentions the 2010 also. Can they be used on the 2010 MBA's?
No. The product page for these indicates they're only for the 2011's.

That sentence is referring to the Aura Pro Express upgrades collectively — both the 3Gbps ones that work in the 2010 and 2011 MBAs and also these new 6Gbps ones that work on in the 2011 MBA.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express
__________________
I write and draw Multiplex, an online comic about the staff of a movie theater. Now available in the App Store!
gmcalpin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:17 PM   #4
3bs
macrumors 603
 
3bs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post
No. The product page for these indicates they're only for the 2011's.

That sentence is referring to the Aura Pro Express upgrades collectively — both the 3Gbps ones that work in the 2010 and 2011 MBAs and also these new 6Gbps ones that work on in the 2011 MBA.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express
Oh ok thanks. Too bad, I was considering getting one for my 2010
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Abyssgh0st
macrumors 68000
 
Abyssgh0st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Send a message via ICQ to Abyssgh0st
I'd buy one of these if I could sell my current SSD for ~$200.
__________________
27" 2.93 i7 iMac
11" 1.8 i7 MBA
iPhone 5
Abyssgh0st is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Judas1
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
How do you upgrade? Do you have to have it built to order or can you go to the Apple store?

Last edited by Judas1; Sep 15, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Judas1 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:46 PM   #7
ShortArc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
What worries me about these SSD 6G drives is the power consumption spec.
Active 3W & Idle 1.2W. This I believe compares to less than .5W for idle for the stock SSD. In other words, these SSDs will drain your battery pretty quick!
ShortArc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:27 PM   #8
DarkFlame
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
The power consumption might be true, but it's worth it. I paid $275 (prob worth $250 still, after 7-8 months) the DAY it came out through newegg for a 120GB Vertex 3 SSD. It does shave about 45 minutes off my total battery time in tests, but it's like driving a rolls royce. I've been up 29 days (without a restart) and it hasn't skipped a beat, can't say the same for the macbook air my friend has.

I think it is well worth it and wouldn't think twice about spending the money on it. Esp for something I use every day.
DarkFlame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:09 PM   #9
admanimal
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas1 View Post
How do you upgrade? Do you have to have it built to order or can you go to the Apple store?
It's a simple installation you can do yourself. It just requires the right screwdriver, which is included.
admanimal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Mattsasa
macrumors 68000
 
Mattsasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Send a message via AIM to Mattsasa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortArc View Post
What worries me about these SSD 6G drives is the power consumption spec.
Active 3W & Idle 1.2W. This I believe compares to less than .5W for idle for the stock SSD. In other words, these SSDs will drain your battery pretty quick!
WOW, 3 watts of power that is just horrible!! who could have a computer that uses 3 watts of power!
Mattsasa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:24 PM   #11
DaveN
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
This makes the Air very appealing to me

The fact that I can upgrade the SSD as faster, larger SSDs become available is very appealing to me. I'm on the verge of replacing my five year old MacBook and this pushes me a little closer to releasing my purse strings to do that!
DaveN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:46 AM   #12
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortArc View Post
What worries me about these SSD 6G drives is the power consumption spec. Active 3W & Idle 1.2W. This I believe compares to less than .5W for idle for the stock SSD. In other words, these SSDs will drain your battery pretty quick!
I asked OWC to comment on the impact their high-performance SSD would have on battery life. Look on their blog for a response -- hopefully tomorrow.
FloatingBones is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:58 AM   #13
ThomasJL
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
TRIM support probably lacking

Wait... This is probably not a good thing.

Both Lion and Snow Leopard only allow TRIM support on Apple-branded SSD's. So, while OWC's 6Gbps SSD may run faster at first, it will inevitably slow down due to no TRIM support.
ThomasJL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:45 AM   #14
Heavertron
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJL View Post
Wait... This is probably not a good thing.

Both Lion and Snow Leopard only allow TRIM support on Apple-branded SSD's. So, while OWC's 6Gbps SSD may run faster at first, it will inevitably slow down due to no TRIM support.
An ill informed comment.

These drives likely use the Sandforce controller that has garbage collection functions built in, so no need for TRIM.
__________________
MBP 17" 2011 2.2 GHz, 8 Gb, 256 Gb Apple SSD MBA 11" 2011 1.6 Ghz, 4 Gb, 128 Gb SSD iPhone4S Thunderbolt Display
Heavertron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:35 AM   #15
usptact
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Actually, you don't need 6Gpbs capable SSD to drain your battery. Recently I bought a Crucial C300 SSD 256GB. Just later I did a comparison of the consumptions by this SSD and my old and faithful Seagate 160GB 7200rpm... I was surprised that in active state the SSD consumes little bit more!
usptact is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:49 AM   #16
JDW
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavertron View Post
An ill informed comment.These drives likely use the Sandforce controller that has garbage collection functions built in, so no need for TRIM.
How ironic that your own comment is "ill informed." From the OWC Blog itself...

"Wear Leveling technologies are able to eliminate virtually any reduction in data transfer speeds over heavy, long-term usage without dependency on less-than-effective OS TRIM management."

Read it yourself here:
http://blog.macsales.com/11900-owc-a...le-macbook-air
JDW is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:31 AM   #17
Heavertron
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW View Post
How ironic that your own comment is "ill informed." From the OWC Blog itself...

"Wear Leveling technologies are able to eliminate virtually any reduction in data transfer speeds over heavy, long-term usage without dependency on less-than-effective OS TRIM management."

Read it yourself here:
http://blog.macsales.com/11900-owc-a...le-macbook-air
Huh? I think you misunderstand my post. The blog says:

"Utilizing SandForce DuraClass technology".

Therefore my statement was correct. These drives use the SandForce controller, so have their own 'housekeeping' mechanisms, so TRIM is not required to maintain performance.
__________________
MBP 17" 2011 2.2 GHz, 8 Gb, 256 Gb Apple SSD MBA 11" 2011 1.6 Ghz, 4 Gb, 128 Gb SSD iPhone4S Thunderbolt Display
Heavertron is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:49 AM   #18
Sjhonny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The land of the cucumbers
My two cent ... stay away from sandforce. Performs awesome on paper, but has (very) high failure rates, in comparison to other SSD controllers. Also the speed bump, which will be unnoticeable in nearly all real life situations, doesn't justify the price (nearly 3$ a GiB ).
__________________
I'm Random, you're number two
Sjhonny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:51 AM   #19
cluthz
macrumors 68040
 
cluthz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Norway
Send a message via MSN to cluthz
It's good that there is an aftermarket alternative to the Apple SSD,
but am I the only one that feel the standard SSD is the only thing in the MBA that isn't a bottle neck?
__________________
-tb
MacBook Air 13" i5 osx10.7.5
HackPro i7-4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX780GHz Edition, 3x SSD , win7+osx10.9.4
cluthz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:33 AM   #20
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjhonny View Post
My two cent ... stay away from sandforce. Performs awesome on paper, but has (very) high failure rates, in comparison to other SSD controllers. Also the speed bump, which will be unnoticeable in nearly all real life situations, doesn't justify the price (nearly 3$ a GiB ).
Can you point to information on these high failure rates? Never heard this before.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:07 AM   #21
Sjhonny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The land of the cucumbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Can you point to information on these high failure rates? Never heard this before.
Link 1

Link 2

Even on Wikipedia

SF: 15-30%
Intel: >5%

And I know those aren't officially released numbers. They simply don't exist. Although there are not enough numbers know concerning the latest (2200) SF controller, there's no reason to believe failure rates decreased substantially over earlier generations (on the contrary even, just have a look at support fora and reviews).
__________________
I'm Random, you're number two
Sjhonny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:37 PM   #22
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
FASTER! the only bad thing is you can't do much with your old hard flash drive. Unless of course you had one with those bigger memory thresholds...or maybe OWC will create an external thunderbolt bracket
__________________
accessoriesguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:39 PM   #23
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
I asked OWC to comment on the impact their high-performance SSD would have on battery life. Look on their blog for a response -- hopefully tomorrow.
Here's what Larry from OWC had to say on their blog this morning:

"While it is absolutely true that these drives have higher power consumption during data transfer processes vs. lower performing drives like the factory models – the amount of time the drives are active in this way is less than those drives. Further, if you’re doing a processor intensive task – the amount of time your processors are are full power consumption is also reduced since these tasks are also now completed faster. We will publish comprehensive real world results, but at the end of the day I think the overall results will surprise some. "
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:13 PM   #24
Cheffy Dave
macrumors 68020
 
Cheffy Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas1 View Post
How do you upgrade? Do you have to have it built to order or can you go to the Apple store?
No, you buy it and instal it yourself,(8 Screws) back up your HD to it and install, this has nothing to do with
__________________
lotsa "stuff"
Cheffy Dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:14 PM   #25
ShortArc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
Here's what Larry from OWC had to say on their blog this morning:

"While it is absolutely true that these drives have higher power consumption during data transfer processes vs. lower performing drives like the factory models – the amount of time the drives are active in this way is less than those drives. Further, if you’re doing a processor intensive task – the amount of time your processors are are full power consumption is also reduced since these tasks are also now completed faster. We will publish comprehensive real world results, but at the end of the day I think the overall results will surprise some. "
Larry may be absolutely correct. However my concern is Idle!
Most of the time my MBA SSD will be in idle (reading documents, web pages, sending emails, etc.). Typically SSDs consume .5W or less in this state. 1.2W would be significant and will have an impact on battery life. My guess would be around 10% reduction based on 7W (estimated) overall consumption in idle. I am not trying to critisize but rather obtain an answer.

Years ago I bought my first SSD, a G. Skill "Titan", 256GB. It used a RAID 0 controller to achieve speed. Power consumption was so high in idle that my MBP had a runtime of 1 hour (half of what is was before). I ended up using it in a MP and that worked out fine. Since than SSD manufactures have gotten power under control and generally they save power over mechanical drives. Anyway, I am dying to buy a 6G drive but need to know the battery drain. Cheers.
ShortArc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OWC SSD "Upgrade" 2012 Macbook Air - Buyer Beware mediacomposer MacBook Air 265 Nov 6, 2014 06:35 PM
Cricual M4 SSD/Optibay/Early 2011 MBP - but 6Gbps?? Kristan MacBook Pro 4 Jun 6, 2014 09:55 AM
apple macbook 13.3 early 2011 with 240gb OWC electra 6g SSD- price? gochi Buying Tips and Advice 1 Oct 9, 2013 04:59 PM
OWC Certifies 480 GB Aftermarket SSD Upgrade for 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 37 Nov 6, 2012 11:22 PM
Macbook Pro Unibody 2011 Raid 0 (Two owc ssd's) eftrix MacBook Pro 3 Oct 2, 2012 08:36 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC