Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Canon Launches New AirPrint-Compatible PIXMA Printers

Canon today announced that several of its newest PIXMA printers are now compatible with Apple's AirPrint technology, also acknowledging that the "majority" of the company's printers released going forward will support the standard.
Quote:
Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, today announced that the PIXMA MG8220, MG6220 and MG5320 Wireless Photo All-In-One inkjet photo printers will now support AirPrint wireless printing for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. AirPrint allows users to wirelessly print photos, emails, web pages and other documents without the need to install device drivers, saving time and making for a seamless user experience.

AirPrint will be supported by the majority of Canon PIXMA inkjet printers launched from this point forward. AirPrint works with iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPod touch (3rd generation and later) using iOS 4.2 or later.
Full details are available through Canon's dedicated AirPrint site.

AirPrint debuted last November with iOS 4.2, but was limited to a handful of printers from HP at the time. HP has regularly added new AirPrint-compatible models since that time, but other manufacturers are just now getting on board with the standard. Epson announced several weeks ago that it would begin rolling out AirPrint support, and AirPrint-compatible Epson printers are now available.

Article Link: Canon Launches New AirPrint-Compatible PIXMA Printers
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:17 AM   #2
stanswx
macrumors newbie

Well bummer, I have the MG5220. Nice to see other manufacturers adding the functionality though.
stanswx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Skika
macrumors 68020

Do Macs support AirPrint?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:26 AM   #4
Freis968
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is Brother waiting for?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:27 AM   #5
ravenvii
macrumors 604

O' Brother, where art thou?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
rikscha
macrumors 6502

what about other models?

I want my Canon PIXMA MX885 to be airprint compatible.

does anyone know more about 'older' models being updated?
rikscha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:17 PM   #7
accessoriesguy
macrumors 6502a

i just dislike the fact that 'airprint' may be used to markup the price.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:45 PM   #8
slightly
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to slightly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Do Macs support AirPrint?
They don't need to. Macs and PCs use the printer driver model - many printers are supported by default in OS X, and for others, you can download the appropriate driver. And many of Canon's line are wireless capable, so you can print without physically hooking the computer up.

Matt
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:53 PM   #9
greytmom
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha
what about other models?

I want my Canon PIXMA MX885 to be airprint compatible.

does anyone know more about 'older' models being updated?
This. I have the MP 620. Don't want a new one, just want the one I have to work.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:15 PM   #10
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
also acknowledging that the "majority" of the company's printers released going forward will support the standard other manufacturers are just now getting on board with the standard
Since when did AirPrint become a standard? The technology isn't even available to non-iOS devices.

I for one would be happy if it was a standard, then other companies might join in sooner.
lowbatteries is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:47 PM   #11
JAT
In Time-Out

It's about time some decent printers get included in Airprint. I may have to upgrade my older Pixma for this. Pretty tired of HP's poor networking tech, Canon's seems to be far superior these days.
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:03 PM   #12
thewitt
macrumors 68000

HPs ePrint protocol is available to anyone to license.

AirPrint is a collection of open, standard protocols that can be implemented by anyone on any wireless device.

Epson and Brother have both announced AirPrint compatible printers.

It will become the standard for wireless mobile device printing purely based on the overwhelming number of devices shipping with the capability.

It will be in the best interest of both printer and phone manufacturers to adopt it...

-t
thewitt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:02 AM   #13
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
HPs ePrint protocol is available to anyone to license.
ePrint and AirPrint aren't related.

Quote:

AirPrint is a collection of open, standard protocols that can be implemented by anyone on any wireless device.
The only information I've found on the underlying technology is at http://www.finnie.org/2010/11/13/airprint-and-linux/ - so it looks like you're right, as AirPrint is now it's easy to replicate.

Quote:

Epson and Brother have both announced AirPrint compatible printers.

It will become the standard for wireless mobile device printing purely based on the overwhelming number of devices shipping with the capability.

It will be in the best interest of both printer and phone manufacturers to adopt it...

-t
When Android or Window 7 Phone announce AirPrint support, I'll call it a standard. Right now these printers are basically just wireless iPhone accessories (much like AirPlay-enabled devices).
lowbatteries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:12 AM   #14
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

This. I have the MP 620. Don't want a new one, just want the one I have to work.
Try AirPrintActivator by netputing

Should work for all printers

Had an internet outage and needed to print from my iphone.
(It works for ipad and iphone)

The printers need to be on your network and in sharing mode.
Once you install the app all your shared printers show up on your iphone or ipad.

Worked like a charm for me with a 3GS. A little slow, but better than nothing.

Free download:

netputing.com

They do like a donation.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:32 AM   #15
thewitt
macrumors 68000

Of course AirPrint and ePrint are related. AirPrint prints to ePrint enabled printers without sending the print job as an email message.

We have already written AirPrint drivers for the HTC, though they were done for a customer application and will not be released from us. It's a trivial combination of standard calls.

-t
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:24 AM   #16
kiljoy616
macrumors 68000

So is anyone suing Apple for a patent on Airplay. Come one someone...

Just have to ask since I love Airplay, Airprint, and my Air.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:37 AM   #17
lowbatteries
macrumors regular

Quote:
Of course AirPrint and ePrint are related. AirPrint prints to ePrint enabled printers without sending the print job as an email message.

We have already written AirPrint drivers for the HTC, though they were done for a customer application and will not be released from us. It's a trivial combination of standard calls.

-t
So AirPrint depends on ePrint? I can't find any mention of ePrint on the Canon site. Did Canon license this technology and just didn't (or couldn't) use the term "ePrint"?
lowbatteries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:45 PM   #18
thewitt
macrumors 68000

It would be possible to implement a receiving protocol for AirPrint without licensing ePrint, however HP has made it available very reasonably so I suspect some of these other companies have simply licensed it. I don't know if they can advertise that or not.

-t
thewitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 01:49 PM   #19
Windowsrefugee
macrumors member

[QUOTE=MacRumors;13377263]Image

Does anyone know if the Canon MX860 PIXMA printer is or will ever be supported by Canon? Is there some reason why this WIFI enabled printer cannot be seen by Canon's own Easy-PhotoPrint App even though the documentation says it is supported???
Windowsrefugee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 04:11 PM   #20
someone28624
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrefugee View Post
Does anyone know if the Canon MX860 PIXMA printer is or will ever be supported by Canon? Is there some reason why this WIFI enabled printer cannot be seen by Canon's own Easy-PhotoPrint App even though the documentation says it is supported???
This is what printer I have. I love it, but I would gladly trade it for an airprint enabled printer with similar features otherwise. I did get mine working via some hack awhile back. Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was. Found it someplace here. Only downside is that my desktop I installed it on needs to be on, otherwise it works beautifully.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 05:48 PM   #21
Windowsrefugee
macrumors member

Question

I can't seem to find this app or developer on the Apple App Store. Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawks View Post
Try AirPrintActivator by netputing

Should work for all printers

Had an internet outage and needed to print from my iphone.
(It works for ipad and iphone)

The printers need to be on your network and in sharing mode.
Once you install the app all your shared printers show up on your iphone or ipad.

Worked like a charm for me with a 3GS. A little slow, but better than nothing.

Free download:

netputing.com

They do like a donation.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 06:22 PM   #22
Windowsrefugee
macrumors member

Got it

I found AirPrint Activator for my Mac. I was mistakenly trying to find it in the App store so now I am all set, at least while I am at home

[QUOTE=Windowsrefugee;13525625]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrefugee View Post
I can't seem to find this app or developer on the Apple App Store. Any other suggestions?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion