Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
When I close the lid on my MBP it doesn't put the computer to sleep and when I open it up again many hours later the batter is dead.

How do I set it so that closing the cover puts the macbook pro to sleep? (regardless of which apps are open.)

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
When I close the lid on my MBP it doesn't put the computer to sleep and when I open it up again many hours later the batter is dead.

How do I set it so that closing the cover puts the macbook pro to sleep? (regardless of which apps are open.)

Well it should do this automatically. Do you have it connected to an external monitor?

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
If certain apps are open, like vlc open with a video on pause, then closing the lid doesn't put it to sleep.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
If certain apps are open, like vlc open with a video on pause, then closing the lid doesn't put it to sleep.

it might be best to reset the PRAM on your Mac and see if that fixes it. maybe the sleep rules have become corrupt.

also - like SHADO asked, do you use an external monitor? what about keyboard/mouse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.