Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that reliable source "Mr. X" has revealed that Apple has added a number of new entries for revised iPhone 4 and iPod touch models to its internal inventory database.

According to the report, three new iPod touch models have appeared under the codename N81A, which it presumes to be the new white iPod touch in three different capacities. The black iPod touch is expected to continue to be offered under the current N81 codename.

This information lines up with what we reported last week, indicating that only minor updates to the iPod touch are expected. MacRumors can indeed confirm that N81A is the codename for the white iPod touch, and that Apple will be continuing to use N81 for the black iPod touch.

ipod_touch_stacked.jpg

Apple is expected to make the black iPod touch update a quiet one, utilizing the same internal codename and SKU as the current line but with only minor changes such as an improved ambient light sensor and the addition of an oleophobic coating to reduce fingerprint smudging on the device's screen. Our information suggests that Apple has been targeting an availability date of October 13th or 14th for the new iPod touch models, although that has apparently been a bit of a shifting target.

Apple's iPhone 4 revisions appearing in its inventory database are marked as N90A, a minor change over the existing N90 device that is the current GSM iPhone 4. The CDMA iPhone 4 carries the codename N92. Two new N90A models have appeared in the database, with the report suggesting that they are tweaked low-end iPhone 4 units in white and black, potentially coming in at 8 GB. The "iPhone 4S" that has been seen in a number of parts leaks and bearing a nearly identical appearance to the iPhone 4 has been carrying a codename of N94 and has not yet appeared in Apple's inventory database.

One more piece to the puzzle comes from our previous information, which had indicated that Apple was also preparing a minor update to the iPod nano. Our information indicates that the revised iPod nano will carry a codename of N20A, differentiating it from the current N20 sixth-generation iPod nano.

Article Link: Apple Adds Revised iPhone 4 and White iPod Touch Models to Inventory Database

jfrancis04

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
If the N90 is a new, tweaked iphone 4, then does that mean the iPhone 5 is for sure the N94? Which would also mean no redesign? :(

On the other hand, this all but confirms the iPod touch will stay the same, which begs the question...what in the world are all those darn cases for?

Last edited:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
surely the revised iPhone would be the iPhone 4S?

Maybe there is an iPhone 5 lurking somewhere.. hmm.. It'll be really disappointing and surprising to not see an iPhone 5 after all this.

casemate_iphone5cases.jpg

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I doubt Apple would update their inventory to show the 5 yet...gives away too much early. They know people get these numbers before product launches. "all too easy my friend"

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
Apple is expected to make the black iPod touch update a quiet one, utilizing the same internal codename and SKU as the current line but with only minor changes such as an improved ambient light sensor and the addition of an oleophobic coating to reduce fingerprint smudging on the device's screen.
Crud, that means it will be difficult/impossible to know when the old versions have moved out of the supply chain. :mad:

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
My guess is that Apple - obviously - follows all these wild rumors. I'm betting that they're getting cocky about how well they've kept the 5 under wraps, and that the "1" badge on the phone icon in the invite is more along the lines of "one missed call".

As in, you guys really didn't see this coming.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Apple is still doing the oleophobic coating? Those shots of devices that had it wear off with repeated uses aren't enough to convince them it's not practical?

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
My guess is that Apple - obviously - follows all these wild rumors. I'm betting that they're getting cocky about how well they've kept the 5 under wraps, and that the "1" badge on the phone icon in the invite is more along the lines of "one missed call".

As in, you guys really didn't see this coming.

I like that!

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Of course there will be, Apple are an innovative company, they dont sit around for 16 months putting an A5 into a iphone4. :)

When I read this and looking at rumors, I was honestly thinking there will just be a 4s and no iPhone 5. After reading your comment, I am sure hoping Apple does just that, used the extra time to create the iPhone 5. If nothing else, I just sold my 4 for over $500 to some guy, poor guy...I will be happy if they just upgrade the camera as the iPhone is my only camera.

Johnnyboy711

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I think these rumors are bogus, apple employees didnt take a whole year off, theres going to be major updates to the itouch and ip5, they want bussiness so of course they are going to make there products a lot better

mholtz2323

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
The N94 being labeled as the iPhone 4s doesn't take in account that apple has been testing the internals in an iPhone 4 like shell.
iPhone 5 has 4inch screen and tapered design, 8mp camera, A5.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I know Apple too well to think they will just come out with a minor update. They are too good at marketing to make this a less-than-expected update. It will either be as-expected or better. I have a feeling it will be iPhone 5, low-price iPhone 4 with minor touch-ups, new iPod Touch/Nano, and possibly the death of the Classic and Shuffle.

That and talk of iOS5 and iCloud will be the entire event.

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
Apple will not - repeat NOT - leave the path of synchronized iPhone and iOS versions anymore. They had to come up with a weird iPhone name (3Gs) a few years back to make it match with the iOS version.

Therefore, no matter what it looks like, the next iPhone will be the iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.