Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Well, I have been waiting, and I'm not impatient, but ..........

I have been an iphone fanboy for 3yrs running, and only researched the Galaxy Sll a few days ago. I felt hypocritical not giving one of these devices a try, (how would I ever know which one was really better for me)?

Now then, you really have put me right back on the fence about what to do :)

If I get a GalaxySll, I can try it out for up to 30 days, (and not put up with the swarms trying for the iphone5 on the 14th and days after).

On the other hand, I have been using a piece of crap 3g for 3 years, and really want to get my hands on a 5 right away. (tried a iphone4 in July, but the reception truely sucked, I was shocked and forced to returned it).

Has anyone on this thread had the chance to use a GalaxySll, whatta you think?

I did the 30 day thing with my Atrix. Even ordered it online, got the full upgrade price (only ~8-9 months into my current contract!), used it for 25 days, returned right back through the email with the supplied return labels. My account "reset" like I hadn't used an update, and the credit was posted on the following months CC statement.

After the issues with my Captivate, I kind of put Samsung on the s***list :D That being said, I had a chance to mess around with the SGS II, though keep in mind it was the international version (the "native" version isn't here yet). A friend of mine had a chance to score one for a decent enough price outright that if he decides to bail on it, he'd probably break even.

This is my ~30 minutes or so assessment, since I looked at it when we met up for drinks with some friends, didn't want to spend too much time fondling a phone :)

Seems very quick. The Samsung IU wrapper is not great, but you can at least drop on an alternate launcher like ADW or Launcher Pro, the default setup is just a mess of design, color, etc. Looked at a few pics that were shot with the camera, pretty decent (based on online postings, the camera is good, I think the iP4 is better from my humble amateur photographer perspective).

The display is very good. The move from a Pentile sub-pixel config like the Captivate, Atrix, Bionic, etc., make a huge difference in small text clarity. The color is good, but I find it over-saturated, I'd probably dial it back a little. It seemed put together really nicely.

He was unhappy with the battery life but I think there's some tweaks/root/hacks/firmware that improve it quite a bit. FWIW, he's waiting to see what the iPhone 4 brings too.

Thefan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
And wow, another person who fails to realise that Apple would not rush iCloud (and therefore iOS 5) after the MobileMe debacle.

The delay is down to getting iCloud spot on from day one, along with iOS 5 ... in my opinion.

How can you possibly think that Apple, Sprint, and Verizon would ban vacation for employees for two weeks for just an updated iphone 4. The bump to 3GS sold well, but that was due that phone still being the most superior in the market, which is no longer the case now. There is no way in hell that Apple will release just an iphone 4s. The New York Times even quoted an Apple employee who would not give his names for obvious reasons, that there are TWO phones coming out. A low end device and completely revamped iphone 5. It's very probable that the iphone 5 could be delayed, but as for just a updated iphone being the sole investment by Apple inc.......no way. If you think otherwise, then that's your opinion, as this is mine. But I'm looking at the nature of the current market of phones, and trust me, so is Apple.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
No, I'm an adult ... hence why I'm telling you to behave. You're on about delayed shipments, no one knows how many units Apple have shipped of the new iPhone and when.

Oh wait. You meant the annual refresh is delayed, from July to October. That's not a delayed shipment, it's a delayed launch. Apple delayed no shipments, but they did delay the unveiling and subsequent launch.

Yes launch is what I was referring to...typo'd my wordings

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I'm still puzzled why N94 can't just be a gigantic sized iPhone. Why does it have to have a 3.5 screen? Is there confirmation of this? Again, I would point out, the A5 is bigger than the A4 and the leaked battery is bigger than the one in the current iPhone, plus all rumors suggest a bigger screen.

I say the 4S is an iPhone 4 style shell, but just enlarged. The teardrop design? iPod touch 4 style shell, just enlarged. That would account for the minor cosmetic differences on both products (in particular the iPod has a very minor change if that tear drop design IS an iPod, which would make sense given the size of the radios...).

HighDesert50

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
touch not touched

Disappointing to read of only minor updates to the ipod touch; the product needs an infusion of innovation. 3G would have been an interesting option. I can imagine that the Kindle upgrades and pricing will now take a bite out of touch sales.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Disappointing to read of only minor updates to the ipod touch; the product needs an infusion of innovation. 3G would have been an interesting option. I can imagine that the Kindle upgrades and pricing will now take a bite out of touch sales.

Yeah a slight bump in screen real-estate would be nice, seek buttons (forward/back by the home button) something I've been wanting since its creation so I can maybe switch to the iPod Touch as a music player, and 3G would be nice.

Thefan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Samsung / google event is on October 11th.

Just read Samsung and google are holding an event on October 11th to unveil the nexus prime to counter interest in the next iphone. It'll be running Android 4.0 Apple better be releasing something amazing, because the specs of that phone look pretty damn cool.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Actually no. After being told I don't know what I'm talking about and getting several posts touting certainties that I was wrong, the final reply from the other expert (besides you) on this topic was...

Yeah, and at the end of the linked article, it says this:

appadvice.com said:
What do fellow AppAdvice readers think? Will you jailbreak your Apple TV to play your 1080p content? Are there any special themes or tweaks you’d like to see on your jailbroken Apple TV? Discuss away!

You've been PM'd.

This thread is about "Mr. X" spying new part numbers of iOS-based stuff. :apple:TV is one iOS-based product. Hopefully, a new part number of it shows up soon too.

That is a laughable over-generalization to attempt to justify your thread hijacking activity.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm still puzzled why N94 can't just be a gigantic sized iPhone. Why does it have to have a 3.5 screen? Is there confirmation of this? Again, I would point out, the A5 is bigger than the A4 and the leaked battery is bigger than the one in the current iPhone, plus all rumors suggest a bigger screen.

I say the 4S is an iPhone 4 style shell, but just enlarged. The teardrop design? iPod touch 4 style shell, just enlarged. That would account for the minor cosmetic differences on both products (in particular the iPod has a very minor change if that tear drop design IS an iPod, which would make sense given the size of the radios...).
98% of all Apple rumors reported on tech media sites end up being false. To assume anything from anyone who is not basing their commentary from news emanating from the Apple.com domain is foolish.

Go ahead and plug in all of your favorite iPhone rumors and you'll end up with a FrankenPhone that has none of the simplicity, elegance, and thinness that one would expect from Apple and its former CEO Steve Jobs.

Let's examine the screen size issue for a moment. It is probable that Apple has had engineering samples of every single commercially viable flat panel screen pass through its labs in Cupertino. It is likely that every single screen from 2" to 6" has been attached to the iPhone guts and that every single screen from 5" to 17" has been attached to the iPad guts.

Even with all of that, someone is deliberately selecting the 3.5" screen for the iPhone and the 9.7" screen for the iPad despite a large array of possibilities. It's not like Apple isn't aware of Android smartphones with 4"-4.5" screens or 7" tablets. The 3.5" iPhone screen is probably Steve's preference and knowing his aesthetic, he isn't going to supersize the iPhone. I'm sure he's happy to let some fattie wear some other company's logo but no porker handset is going to wear the Apple logo.

Fanfoot

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2010
So... three different iPod Touch models you say?

I assume if there are only 3 iPod Touch models that kills the possibility of there being a 128GB iPod Touch to replace the departing classic? Seems unlikely they'd get rid of the existing 8GB Touch since even that is $229. And with the worldwide supply crunch on flash I suppose its just not going to happen for Apple to increase the capacities on the touch models this year. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.