Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 5, 2011, 04:36 AM   #1
nss.aries
macrumors member

Editing the iTunes Library manually?

Hello everybody
Is there a way to edit the iTunes library manually in OSX? I know the .itl file is encrypted and the xml is just a readable version that the software desn't use, but on google I found a windows software (iT Clinic-something) that seems able to edit the .itl (editing the xml and counting on the iT need to search that if it doesn't find something on the itl).
I need it for several reasons, but the main one is that I have some songs in 128kbps quality that i'd like to replace with a 320kbps version maintaining playcount and date added info. I've done it manually (replacing the files and making iTunes finds the new ones) but some songs create conflicts and make the player skip to the next one in the middle of the song, in particular with those with slightly different duration, even after manually editing the duration time field - it returns to the previous version when you close itunes, the same thing that happens if you change the xml values (it copy them from the itl when you open iTunes).

I don't understand why I cannot manage my library the way I want :/

Thanks,
gabriele

Last edited by nss.aries; Oct 5, 2011 at 04:48 AM.
nss.aries is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2011, 05:59 PM   #2
AmbiguousNinja
macrumors regular

You can do it in iTunes.
AmbiguousNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2011, 04:40 AM   #3
nss.aries
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbiguousNinja View Post
You can do it in iTunes.
I don't know your iTunes, but with mine you can't change "playcount" and "date added" fields. And with some files, if you change the "duration" manually, it turns back as it was before the next time you open the sw :/
nss.aries is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Tags
editing, itl, itunes, library, music