Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
well I don't know, I think networking with Rendezvous is a nice feature, as is the integration with Mail and Address Book. What kind of features are you looking for?

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
ichat needs to be more like adium. the only reason i'm using ichat is because i paid so much for the jaguar upgrade (its a matter of principle really, adium blows it out of the water). ichat needs
1.Buddy List groups
2.Tabbed Message interface
3.Profile support
4.Multiple account support
5.File Transfer that actually works
6.More descriptive dock icon
7.Full sized buddy icons
8.about 100 other things that i'd mention if i had more time

ichat's interface is kind of nice, but it really lacks features. i really miss adium and if adium 2.0 is half as good as its supposed to be, screw the money i spent, i'm swithcing back. rendevouz has never given me a list of the people on my network and file transfer has never worked.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
1.Buddy List groups
have you tried grouping your contacts in address book? does that work?
2.Tabbed Message interface
umm... already got it
3.Profile support
use address book bro. its there.
4.Multiple account support
like msn and yahoo? sure i agree.
5.File Transfer that actually works
haven't tried it.. can't tell ya.
6.More descriptive dock icon
its fine by me.
7.Full sized buddy icons
again. i'm fine with it.
8.about 100 other things that i'd mention if i had more time
try 5 or so. It sounds as if its all opinion and you just want adium.. well in that case use adium.. they are not the same program. Personaly I would dig having support for msn and voice support down the road so it can be used with my phone line (cellular or otherwise). Less nitpicky.. more visionary. I dont give a damn what the dock icon is. Thats what resedit is for :)

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
well i have to agree...iChat is lacking many features of just basic PC AIM that i liked. No one seems to be able to send me pics over iChat...they all show up as pink boxes. Also, you cant click on a name to get buddy info like idle time, away message, etc. and I KNOW you can just move your mouse over the name and it (SOMETIMES) shows you the away message, but the last person on the list...i can never see their away message.

and i agree...i dont want to have to put all these people in my address book (if that would even work) to get group lists. i liked being able to put people in certain lists and minimize a given list. Like when on campus, i can minimize the other lists and keep the list of people that i IM during lecture open.

Also, they make it difficult to add people to your buddy list. the list setup tab was a great thing!

overall, i think iChat is great, but its not as good as it could be.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
iChat does have a couple nice features that AIM doesnt have though, like automatically saving chat logs.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the chat logs would be helpful if they showed the date that it was recorded, not the sequence number

and yah...file transfer doesn't work for **** unless the other person is using iChat

i'm already used to not having people in groups...i deleted all the people i hardly talk to in order to make things less complicated.

profiles are stupid...you really don't need them

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
doctorteeth: maybe i'm missing some of these ichat features. does it actually have a tabbed interface like adium, where every chat is in its own tab in a single window? i have not found this yet if its there. by multiple accounts, i meant allowing me to have several aim screennames (aim is the only protocol i use). i solved this problem, i must not have been thinking straight when i first tried to do it. i dont really care that much about buddy icons, but why include them if you're going to shrink them? this does not make much sense. making groups in the address book does not make buudy groups in ichat and it's also a hassle to have to add every buddy to your address book (i have to make two entries for a friend with two screen names)

there are several little bugs that are a nuisance sometimes, but the rendevouz one is a real pain. i can have my normal buddy list showing several people from my network, yet when i load up rendevouz, it has never showed anyone at all for the entire time i've used 10.2. am i doing something wrong? what else besides select "login to rendevouz" do i have to do?

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
i also have not found ANY sort of tabbed chatting interface in ichat.... once you start talking with 3 people it's easy to type in the wrong window (it can be hard to tell which one is the active window--with adium, the person's SN is highlighted in the tab)

right now i use ichat with a second SN so i can see away messages and send files... i still do my important chatting with adium :)

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
the tabs are on the left bro... they just arent on the top.

Get in two different chats.. and click on the different screennames to switch between chats.

works for me...

-chris

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth

Get in two different chats.. and click on the different screennames to switch between chats.

works for me...

-chris

Doesn't work for me... uh... why?

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth

works for me...

-chris

i can't get it working either... it works for 2 individual chats, right? i thought that drawer just showed who was involved in a single chat

samdweck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2002
1 Infinite Loop
Originally posted by kishba

i can't get it working either... it works for 2 individual chats, right? i thought that drawer just showed who was involved in a single chat

i am using iChat 1.0 build 52.. how about you? confused still... i know the participants tab... is that what u use?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
The one thing that i have noticed that seems to be lacking. Is the fact that ichat doesn't transmitt your away message to those who IM you. It simply just takes the incoming message. Profiles it doesn;t have profiles. i've tried doing it in the address book and that doesn't work. Yeah it might not be that big of a deal, but to a college student this things are important. After all i need as many reasons as possible to not do my work. This eliminates one. Not cool

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
does anyone know what you have to do to set up rendevouz messging? i have it set to launch when ichat starts, but it has never showed any names. do the other people have to be using ichat for me to see them, or sould it recognize anyone using the aim protocol on the network? i'm on a college lan and there are always people online, i have friends on the network whose names appear in my buddy list, but not on the rendevouz list. what's up?

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
go to preferences>accounts. then type the name and pass of your second account and log in. now when you go to the preferences again, both names will be stored in the screen name pull down menu. unfortunately, i do not think it has adium's feature of asking you at start-up which account you would like to use.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
rendezvous will only see other people on your network running ichat with rendezvous turned on. It's a rendezvous thing, not AIM protocol. Also, if they are on the same network, but different subnet, rendezvous will not detect them either.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
thanks for the info chibianh. does anyone know if aol is planning to incorporate rendevouz into aim, now that it's open source? if not, it makes the feature kind of useless for most situations.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
go to preferences>accounts. then type the name and pass of your second account and log in. now when you go to the preferences again, both names will be stored in the screen name pull down menu. unfortunately, i do not think it has adium's feature of asking you at start-up which account you would like to use.

Thank you, but I was refering to running multiple accounts at once. I can't be the only person that has/runs more then one AIM name at a time. For now- I'm running both iChat and AIM at the same time...but there has to be an easier way.
Anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.