Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Trojita
macrumors member

With Applecare+, do you think it is still necessary to use a case?

With Apple's Applecare+ plan do you think having a case is still necessary or are you going to go naked?
Trojita is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2
index1489
macrumors member

I think most people used a case to improve reception, but with the new iPhone this might not be an issue.

Still you will always drop your phone at least once in 2 years. So if you want the hassle then fine by you.
index1489 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Blueline29
macrumors 68000

I always use a case just because I'd rather avoid having to replace the phone if at all possible (particularly after it's been jailbroken); I don't like going through that process any more often than necessary.
Blueline29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Taz Mangus
macrumors 65816

I think I am going to get AppleCare+ for my wife and I will get AppleCare for me. My wife has a habbit of dropping her phones. My plan is to get iWrap full body for both white iPhone 4S's. The phone is so beautiful I think it would be a shame to cover it up.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't think regular AppleCare is available for the 4s
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Codepiink
macrumors regular

When I read the fine print for Applecare+ it says "Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee"... It says that it is available for the 4S. So I WILL be wearing a case with my phone.
Codepiink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:20 PM   #7
pasipple
macrumors 6502a

Applecare+ also does not cover nornal wear, scratches, etc...the damages have to affect the performance of the device.

So...you need a case to prevent the most common damages...SCRATCHES...

Per Terms and Conditions:

Excludes...

4(v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment;

Complete T&C...

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...leCarePlus.pdf
AppleTV3 v5.1

Last edited by pasipple; Oct 7, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
pasipple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
rkahl
macrumors 65816

I was thinking the same thing, but a case is about the same price as their damage deductible.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:36 PM   #9
slgray49
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codepiink
When I read the fine print for Applecare+ it says "Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage and 90 days of telephone technical support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee"... It says that it is available for the 4S. So I WILL be wearing a case with my phone.
I will get AppleCare+ but I will also get some invisible film to protect the phone from scratches. And $49 per incident is cheap. Verizon charges $149 per incident and over $9 a month. So what you pay for the insurance is about the same as AppleCare+ but to replace a damaged phone is 3x the cost. That's ridiculous.
slgray49 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:36 PM   #10
slgray49
macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codepiink
I will get AppleCare+ but I will also get some invisible film to protect the phone from scratches. And $49 per incident is cheap. Verizon charges $149 per incident and over $9 a month. So what you pay for the insurance is about the same as AppleCare+ but to replace a damaged phone is 3x the cost. That's ridiculous.
slgray49 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 08:42 PM   #11
Codepiink
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgray49 View Post

Yes that is true. And it is certainly a lot cheaper than buying a new phone at full price if it were damaged. The insurance price per incident that Verizon has set is, or was, standard at many wireless companies. At least that was the case for T-Mobile. but I do not want to take my chances. Sometimes I have my 4 naked and I have had not had any issues... I am really careful with my things.
Codepiink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 09:10 PM   #12
hushmartin
macrumors 6502

I won't be using a case, though I might explore the possibility of using a protective film of some sort.
hushmartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2011, 09:35 PM   #13
DVDxR
macrumors regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasipple View Post
Applecare+ also does not cover nornal wear, scratches, etc...the damages have to affect the performance of the device.

So...you need a case to prevent the most common damages...SCRATCHES...

Per Terms and Conditions:

Excludes...

4(v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment, including but not limited to scratches and dents, that do not otherwise affect the functionality of the Covered Equipment;

Complete T&C...

http://images.apple.com/legal/applec...leCarePlus.pdf
So in other words if you scratch your front glass be sure to throw it against a wall before calling it in
DVDxR is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone