Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 8, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1
aerlenbach
macrumors newbie

Unable to uninstall "Plex Media Server."

A few months ago I downloaded "plex" to my MBP. I thought it was neat, but wasn't something that I wanted on my primary machine. So, I threw away the Plex application. However, every time I restart my machine, "Plex Media Server" opens up. Obviously it's useless without "Plex," so I just ignored it.
Then I installed Lion. (I dunno if this might have something to do with the problem)
Now. I want to remove "Plex Media Server" because it's annoying, and useless, and I'd rather rid myself of the problem forever. So, I looked onto the Plex site, and it says this...

To completely remove the Plex Client and Plex Media Server from your Mac OS Computer:

Make sure the Plex Client and Plex Media Server are not running
Delete the following Files and Folders:
/Applications/Plex.app
~/Library/Application Support/Plex
~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.plexapp.mediaserver.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.plexsquared.Plex.plist

Making it simple for me, of course.
The only problem is, I checked all of those folders in my library folder, and nothing with the name "Plex" or "plex media server" is in the folders. They're just not there. I've searched, I promise. I'll take a picture of all of these folders and put it in the thread if requested. So my question is, how can I uninstall something that my computer claims doesn't actually exist?
aerlenbach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:25 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerlenbach View Post
So my question is, how can I uninstall something that my computer claims doesn't actually exist?
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:17 AM   #3
hleewell
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerlenbach View Post
A few months ago I downloaded "plex" to my MBP. I thought it was neat, but wasn't something that I wanted on my primary machine. So, I threw away the Plex application. However, every time I restart my machine, "Plex Media Server" opens up. Obviously it's useless without "Plex," so I just ignored it.
Then I installed Lion. (I dunno if this might have something to do with the problem)
Now. I want to remove "Plex Media Server" because it's annoying, and useless, and I'd rather rid myself of the problem forever. So, I looked onto the Plex site, and it says this... So my question is, how can I uninstall something that my computer claims doesn't actually exist?
In Finder, click Go>Go to Folder... and type ~/Library. In Preferences folder, look for com.plexapp, and obliterate those m*$#@f#$%#%%rs. Now you will have Peace my friend.
iPad Air
hleewell is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleewell View Post
In Finder, click Go>Go to Folder... and type ~/Library. In Preferences folder, look for com.plexapp, and obliterate those m*$#@f#$%#%%rs. Now you will have Peace my friend.
Deleting only the .plist will not remove all remnants of the app. There are many other files/folders beyond that which you find in the Preferences folder. The link I posted will show you how to find them all.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:02 AM   #5
deafgoose
macrumors regular

I use a program called CleanMyMac to uninstall programs.

So far its worked really well for me.
deafgoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:06 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
I use a program called CleanMyMac to uninstall programs.
In most cases, app removal software, including CleanMyMac, doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:46 PM   #7
tootall
macrumors regular

Files in ~/library are hidden?

I had the same problems and solved it following the advices in this thread -- thank you!!!

But I still have two general questions:

1) I searched for plex and the "finder" did not identify any files. Can the finder look in all directories or some are hidden?

2) I even looked manually and did not find the files until I realized that Plex was running; are the files in the library hidden when the app is running?

Thanks
tootall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:15 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
1) I searched for plex and the "finder" did not identify any files. Can the finder look in all directories or some are hidden?
2) I even looked manually and did not find the files until I realized that Plex was running; are the files in the library hidden when the app is running?
Did you follow all of the steps in the link in post #2 of this thread? Pay particular attention to steps 5-7.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Apr 21, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:46 AM   #9
ruffhousen
macrumors newbie

The Library May be hidden

I was having the same issue, not able to locate the Plex source files. That was until I came across an article that indicated that /Library is hidden by default in LION. The process to correct this as follows:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Source: http://hints.macworld.com/article.ph...10704093233123

Last edited by ruffhousen; Apr 21, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
ruffhousen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:02 AM   #10
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhousen View Post
I was having the same issue, not able to locate the Plex source files. That was until I came across an article that indicated that /Library is hidden by default in LION. The process to correct this as follows:

And the search method laid out by Mister GGJstudios circumvents that, thus you don't need to resurrect, ahem, make the Library folder visible.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffhousen View Post

Unnecessary, unless you're going into the Library repeatedly (which would probably indicate that you're doing something that's not really a good idea), plus each OS update is likely to wipe out that setting. Easier to simply hold option and click the Go menu, or place a shortcut in your sidebar, neither of which will be altered by updates. As GGJstudios said, his method also negates the need for this.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 03:13 PM   #12
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Did you try going to system pref-> users -> login items
And remove plex from there? It should been removed with all the deleting you have done but maybe it's still there
Old Apr 21, 2012, 04:11 PM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRIIM44 View Post
Did you try going to system pref-> users -> login items
And remove plex from there? It should been removed with all the deleting you have done but maybe it's still there
The method in post #2 would remove that item, along with everything else related to the app. There's no need to navigate to any specific folder, as the search will find all app components, wherever they are located.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 09:42 PM   #14
RWinOR
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The method in post #2 would remove that item, along with everything else related to the app. There's no need to navigate to any specific folder, as the search will find all app components, wherever they are located.

I too have a problem with Plex loading when I boot. I have tried all the suggestions and still cannot find it anywhere? I tried looking in finder, I tried spotlight, The full deletion in post 2 and this one. Plex is not listed anywhere yet it always opens.

I have updated to Mountain lion but I had this issue with lion too. Finally getting tired of it.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you
Happiest camper in the neighborhood.
RWinOR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2012, 09:43 PM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWinOR View Post
I too have a problem with Plex loading when I boot. I have tried all the suggestions and still cannot find it anywhere? I tried looking in finder, I tried spotlight, The full deletion in post 2 and this one. Plex is not listed anywhere yet it always opens.
Complete steps 1-7 of those instructions in post#2, then take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:09 PM   #16
epley
macrumors newbie

Fixed

Quote:
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
I had the same problem with the evil app pled--everything was hidden--the full app, preferences, etc. Evil. These directions fixed the problem! Thank you!

----------

Quote:
Complete steps 1-7 of those instructions in post#2, then take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.
The plex files are hidden. You must follow GGJStudios' directions, and click the plus button, add "other" search criteria for file visibility and choose visible and invisible. It will miraculously show up--all of it.
epley is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
library, media, plex, remove, server