Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jellis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
I understand the lingo is iPhone 5 for the next phone but wouldn't it be the iPhone 6?

1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3g
3. iPhone 3gs
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4s
6. iPhone 6

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Last edited:

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I don't know one way or another but it seems to me this numbering scheme needs to be disrupted. There will be an iPhone 11, but it would be stupid to call it that.

Macs don't have this kind of numbering, so before too long I would expect future iPhones to simply be called "iPhone" and distinguished by release year.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I understand the lingo is iPhone 5 for the next phone but wouldn't it be the iPhone 6?

1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3g
3. iPhone 3g3
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4s
6. iPhone 6

I don't recall there being an iPhone 3G3.

Hmm..

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
The iPhone 4 was the forth iPhone. The next iPhone will be the 6th iPhone.

That doesn't matter. Apple's naming scheme is not going by what number phone it is. They change the number when there is a dramatic change in the phone.

The next iPhone will not be 6 because that would be stupid as far as marketing goes.

It will be iPhone 5

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009

1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3g
3. iPhone 3gs
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4s
6. iPhone 6

If this were true iPhone 4s would have been called iPhone 5. Apple is unpredictable.:confused::apple::confused:

MacBootyDaddy

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
iphone 6 with iOS6. Sounds realistic.

But let's not forget about 4g and LTE. The next iPhone might have one of those two in its title.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Notwithstanding what I said above, I'm putting my nickel on "iPhone 5" for the next model.

Indy2424

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Notwithstanding what I said above, I'm putting my nickel on "iPhone 5" for the next model.

I really think it will depend on if they actually do a full redesign or not. If it just something where they upgrade processor and add LTE I think it will be the

iPhone 4G

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3g
3. iPhone 3g3
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4s
6. iPhone 6

No it would not.

The naming trend seems to be X then Xs then X again. The thing that throws people off is 1st Gen to 2nd Gen. Apple opted for the 3G moniker to correspond with 3G Connectivity.

Then again, for all we know, Apple could call the next iteration "The iPhone SUPER DUPPER". We just don't know.

rezivor

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
That doesn't matter. Apple's naming scheme is not going by what number phone it is. They change the number when there is a dramatic change in the phone.

The next iPhone will not be 6 because that would be stupid as far as marketing goes.

It will be iPhone 5

It won't be called the iPhone 5 because that doesn't make sense, it's not the fifth iPhone.
It'll be called something else

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I really think it will depend on if they actually do a full redesign or not. If it just something where they upgrade processor and add LTE I think it will be the

iPhone 4G

There would be rioting in the streets. It's a matter of national security: there will not be any more iPhone 4's.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
The iPhone 4 was the forth iPhone. The next iPhone will be the 6th iPhone.

The fourth phone? Ummm.. no.
iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5? Might name it something else.
iPhone 5S? Possibly. Who knows.

Get it?

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I don't know one way or another but it seems to me this numbering scheme needs to be disrupted. There will be an iPhone 11, but it would be stupid to call it that.

Macs don't have this kind of numbering, so before too long I would expect future iPhones to simply be called "iPhone" and distinguished by release year.

I always figured they would go up to 9, and turn 10 into X. This way they could start over again while still representing the actual number.

Example: iPhone 9-> iPhone X-> iPhone X2 -> iPhone X3 and so forth.

rezivor

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Yeah.
Calling it iPhone 5 wouldn't make any sense.
What if the next iPhone is 4g capable and they call it 4g
would the next after that also be called iPhone 5
No

jellis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Yeah.
Calling it iPhone 5 wouldn't make any sense.
What if the next iPhone is 4g capable and they call it 4g
would the next after that also be called iPhone 5
No

This is exactly my point, not that it will most definitely be called the 6 but that it will not be called the 5.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM

At first I thought that made a lot of sense... but I found a problem with that. They only sell the current version of the Mac... They are now selling three generations of iPhones. Consumers are not going to be able to remember what year the model they want came out in, it is much easier to go by 3gs, 4, 4s.

I do agree though that we will not see an iPhone 11 or something like that.. They will find another naming scheme.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
The model number is iteration-based, and designates major design changes, as another poster has already mentioned. I am going with iPhone 5 also.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I thought Apple had finally settled on a naming convention (4, 5, 6) and then against all logic they came out with the 4S and shattered my hopes for a good name scheme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.