Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jellis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Looks like I was wrong...

iphone_2012_media_invite.jpg

icanfly

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
That doesn't matter. Apple's naming scheme is not going by what number phone it is. They change the number when there is a dramatic change in the phone.

The next iPhone will not be 6 because that would be stupid as far as marketing goes.

It will be iPhone 5

If that were true than the iPhone 4 should have been called the iPhone 2 since it was the second form factor to be released.

Actually what you are saying makes sense though.. ok so everytime they change the design they change the number.. what shall we change the change the number to? Well it's the 4th gen so let's call it the 4.. see the logic you are using if they change the design of the phone they assign the gen number to it.. Hence a change in the design in the sixth gen iphone still renders it to be called the iPhone 6

Today, we're gonna learn how to count to 10!

Everyone repeat after me;

One
Two
Three
Four
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten

How's your counting logic then.

4 1/2
and so on on

omg what happened to 1, 2 and 3? :p

For your counting logic to work there had to be an Iphone 1, and Iphone 2, an iPhone 3 etc but there was not...

lol ok so why did they call it the "iPhone 3G" when it ran iPhone OS 2
or "iPhone 4S" running iOS 5

Well it was the second gen iPhone so it ran os2. It only had a 3 in it for 3g but it was the second iphone.. hello am I reaching anyone? Ditto for the 4s. 5th gen phone running iOS5 makes sense.. sixth gen running iOS6 we are still making sense here... the problem with everyone's logic is they keep thinking the iPhone 4 is a 4 because it comes after the number 3 but hello there never was an iPhone 2 or 3.. sure you had models with a 3 in them (2 in fact which again makes no sense) the only reason the 4 got assigned to be called iPhone 4 is because it was 4th gen. Nothing to do with changing form factor, nothing to do with coming after 3. Calling a sixth gen model the iPhone 5 makes no sense.

The only valid argument I have seen in this thread is that they won't call it the iPhone 6 because consumers might wonder what happened to the 5. That is the only small but of realistic truth at the moment.. in fact I still believe they won't call it 5 or the 6 it may be the new phone or something else.. But you need to understand your logic pointing to it being called the iPhone 5 has no backbone and it's more the fact that the fake name has stuck for so long you are too afraid to change it now so you defend it. Much like the way you are stuck in iPhone world for too long and too afraid to change to another ecosystem even if it's flawed

Last edited:

PlatinuM195

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2009
I think the only reason they chose the name iPhone 4 was because conveniently it was the 4th Generation iPhone and at the same time, 4 came after 3 (3GS).

They don't quite have that same convenience this time around.

icanfly

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012

This proves nothing.. Everyone likes to speculate at hidden meanings in things Apple do but nothing is official until it's official with Apple. Even with this poster I am happy to still say it won't be called the 5. If it is I am happy to be proven wrong because the logic behind calling it the 5 will be something not yet mentioned in this thread.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Once again, Apple comes out with a baffling naming convention. Why remove the number from the iPad if you're not going to do it with the iPhone. This is just as illogical as when they came out with the 4S.

I'll never understand why they name things they way they do.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Once again, Apple comes out with a baffling naming convention. Why remove the number from the iPad if you're not going to do it with the iPhone. This is just as illogical as when they came out with the 4S.

I'll never understand why they name things they way they do.

You know what's illogical, having an iPhone 6 come after an iPhone 4 because even 4 year olds know 5 comes after 4...

icanfly

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
You know what's illogical, having an iPhone 6 come after an iPhone 4 because even 4 year olds know 5 comes after 4...

You people just aren't getting your own logic.. look back at my post where I flaw the logic in all your arguments..

and as for this one 5 comes after 4 but then there is the 4s as well..
so if apple are naming their phones starting from iPhone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.. where is the iPhone 2? Where is the iPhone 3?

That's right they didnt exist. Iphone 4 was iPhone 4 because it was fourth gen. Simple. Sixth gen phone being called iPhone 6 only makes sense. If you say it's stupid for Iphone6 to have a 6 in it when previous one had a 4 in it that's assuming the 4 in the previous model stood for the fourth iphone which it didnt.. same as the Iphone 4 coming after 3gs assumes the 3 in the 3gs was for third phone. It wasnt..

Answer me that and grow up

Edit: I actually think the iPhone wont be called a 4 or a 5.. Going either way gives too much confusion. Call it the iPhone 6 people with flawed logic will say it it should be the 5. Call it the 5 and people will still question calling it the 5 when its sixth gen, running on iOS6.. Either way confusion will be had. But it will definitely not be called a 5. Mark my words

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
You people just aren't getting your own logic.. look back at my post where I flaw the logic in all your arguments..

and as for this one 5 comes after 4 but then there is the 4s as well..
so if apple are naming their phones starting from iPhone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.. where is the iPhone 2? Where is the iPhone 3?

That's right they didnt exist. Iphone 4 was iPhone 4 because it was fourth gen. Simple. Sixth gen phone being called iPhone 6 only makes sense. If you say it's stupid for Iphone6 to have a 6 in it when previous one had a 4 in it that's assuming the 4 in the previous model stood for the fourth iphone which it didnt.. same as the Iphone 4 coming after 3gs assumes the 3 in the 3gs was for third phone. It wasnt..

Answer me that and grow up

Different situation. The 3G and 3GS were branded for network connectivity compatibility reasons not numerical chronological release.

It just so happens the iPhone 4 suited being the 4th generation, and followed the 3G and 3GS so numerically it made sense.

In this case there is no 6G network to accommodate, so rather than do something retarded like have 6 follow 4, Apple rightly chose 5 to follow 4 which makes sense to everyone who passed kindergarten.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Edit: I actually think the iPhone wont be called a 4 or a 5.. Going either way gives too much confusion. Call it the iPhone 6 people with flawed logic will say it it should be the 5. Call it the 5 and people will still question calling it the 5 when its sixth gen, running on iOS6.. Either way confusion will be had. But it will definitely not be called a 5. Mark my words

People will question calling it the 5 when the vast majority of the general public doesn't even know what generation it is? Sounds like your logic needs a tune up, provided below.

This is for all the stupid idiots that don’t know how the real world works.

2007 iphone named: iphone (because it’s a cool name)

2008 iphone named: iphone 3G (because of the 3G speed)

2009 iphone named: iphone 3Gs (because of the extra speed for the 3G)

2010 iphone named: iphone 4 (because it would be dumb to call it iphone 5,6,7,8 or anything else.)

2011 iphone named: iphone 4s (because every two years they like to add a “s” for speed and calling it 5 would be retarded when it looks the same. It also allows them to sell a crap load of new phones with very little changed.)

2012 iphone named: iphone 5 (because that is the name. If you ignore the dam “generation” and how many phones there were. And if you look at the world outside your nerd house; you will notice that EVERYONE else in the REAL world is waiting for the iphone 5. It will just confuse to many people and make even less sence to call it anything else. READ EXAMPLES)

The generation argument is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

Generation Example:
2012: iphone 6
2013: iphone 6s
2014: iphone 8
2015: iphone 8s
2016: iphone 10
2017: iphone 10s

Makes sense Example:
2012: iphone 5
2013: iphone 5s
2014: iphone 6
2015: iphone 6s
2016: iphone 7
2017: iphone 7s

Nerd speak “well you can’t call the 2016 iphone 7 because it’s the 10th phone”

DUMBASSES!!

I also think they will / should keep the numbers so they can keep adding the “S”. If they drop the number every other year the phone would be called “the new iphone s”?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I don't care, nor have I ever cared about model names. I'm just very happy that it's not far off. The sooner they get this one out, the closer we are to next years.

Every so often every company makes a product that falls short of their best. The good news is that's the one that usually inspires them to make the next one better. So I'll happily skip the iPhone 5.

I eagerly await iPhone circa 2013.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Every so often every company makes a product that falls short of their best. The good news is that's the one that usually inspires them to make the next one better. So I'll happily skip the iPhone 5.

I eagerly await iPhone circa 2013.

Your iPhone 5S will look exactly the same as the two-tone iPhone 5 but with more features just like the iPhone 3GS and 4S.

icanfly

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
In this case there is no 6G network to accommodate, so rather than do something retarded like have 6 follow 4, Apple rightly chose 5 to follow 4 which makes sense to everyone who passed kindergarten.

Apple rightly chose to follow 5.. it hasn't been released yet how do you know? Are you Tim Cook?

Different situation. The 3G and 3GS were branded for network connectivity compatibility reasons not numerical chronological release.

It just so happens the iPhone 4 suited being the 4th generation, and followed the 3G and 3GS so numerically it made sense.

So how come the 1st iphone wasnt called the iPhone 2g? When you really think about it, Apple have never followed a steady pattern in their naming convention. They have only given an iPhone a number once.. once out of 5 models and that was iPhone 4 and I don't think you can argue it was called the iPhone 4 because it was 4th gen. If they are going to give the next phone a number only surely like the iPhone 4 it will be named whatever generation it is which is 6. Calling the sixth gen iphone a 5 is stupid.. and stop the crap 5 comes after 4.. does that mean if they called the new iphone the iphone 4g or the 4gs you would still be calling the seventh gen phone an iPhone 5?

(think harder)

Last edited:

icanfly

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Ignore icanfly. He signed up today and made 4 posts already for the purpose of trolling as an iPhone 6er.

Um... if you look on my info it does say join date June 2012..

anyhoo I am not here to bash iPhoners I'm here to to bash logic.. if this was any brand and the logic was flawed I would be having a go at that too.. as i said I am happy to eat my words come next week let's just wait and see

So far no one has challenged my arguments I welcome it.. thanks

icanfly

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
This is for all the stupid idiots that don’t know how the real world works.

2007 iphone named: iphone (because it’s a cool name)

2008 iphone named: iphone 3G (because of the 3G speed)

2009 iphone named: iphone 3Gs (because of the extra speed for the 3G)

2010 iphone named: iphone 4 (because it would be dumb to call it iphone 5,6,7,8 or anything else.)

2011 iphone named: iphone 4s (because every two years they like to add a “s” for speed and calling it 5 would be retarded when it looks the same. It also allows them to sell a crap load of new phones with very little changed.)

2012 iphone named: iphone 5 (because that is the name. If you ignore the dam “generation” and how many phones there were. And if you look at the world outside your nerd house; you will notice that EVERYONE else in the REAL world is waiting for the iphone 5. It will just confuse to many people and make even less sence to call it anything else. READ EXAMPLES)

The generation argument is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

Generation Example:
2012: iphone 6
2013: iphone 6s
2014: iphone 8
2015: iphone 8s
2016: iphone 10
2017: iphone 10s

Makes sense Example:
2012: iphone 5
2013: iphone 5s
2014: iphone 6
2015: iphone 6s
2016: iphone 7
2017: iphone 7s

Nerd speak “well you can’t call the 2016 iphone 7 because it’s the 10th phone”

DUMBASSES!!

I also think they will / should keep the numbers so they can keep adding the “S”. If they drop the number every other year the phone would be called “the new iphone s”?

Every two years they add an s you say?

iPhone - Year 1
iPhone3g - Year 2 (no 's') -- FAIL
iPhone3gs - Year 3 ('s')
iPhone4 - year 4
iPhone4s (with an 's')

You may argue they added an 's' every two years starting with 3gs but like calling the iPhone4 with a number that's still a once off occurrence so no pattern emerges yet.

They have broken the mould by the first 3 phones having the same form factor but then only the next two having the same if they do indeed change the form factor of sixth gen

Also your examples of years 2013+ are irrelevant you cannot predict they will follow a one time pattern of releasing an s model then a number then an 's' again and then a number etc.. nothing in the naming convention follows a pattern Apple will call it what they want but it still makes no sense to call the sixth model an iPhone 5 running on iOS6. period. That's the issue I don't think it should be called a 6 either but not 5.

jellis

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Ignore icanfly. He signed up today and made 4 posts already for the purpose of trolling as an iPhone 6er.

Icanfly is making a lot of sense. And I don't think you know what trolling is...he is right on topic.

Please explain yourself.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
I laugh at you fools arguing about the iPhone's name...

I remember last year before 4S was released, everyone was saying it will be named "iPhone 5". If you say "4S" you will be flamed. Then days before the announcement source codes were found pointing to "4S". By then people still desperate for it to be called "iPhone 5" were saying Apple is playing with people.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

icanfly

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Icanfly is making a lot of sense. And I don't think you know what trolling is...he is right on topic.

Please explain yourself.

Thanks buddy

I laugh at you fools arguing about the iPhone's name...

I remember last year before 4S was released, everyone was saying it will be named "iPhone 5". If you say "4S" you will be flamed. Then days before the announcement source codes were found pointing to "4S". By then people still desperate for it to be called "iPhone 5" were saying Apple is playing with people.

Sigh. :rolleyes:

Exactly.. before the iPhone 4s came out everyone was dubbing it the iPhone 5.. They called it the 4s so really from that point on you would think people would then be calling the sixth gen - the next iPhone, iPhone 6th gen or similar. Tell me this if Apple came out and called it the new iPhone does that mean you are going to be dubbing the 7th generation the iPhone 5 still?

I will go one step further to say now that 'the new ipad' has come out everyone still calls it the iPad3 because its the third gen.. What if Apple came out and called the next one 'the new iphone' you going to keep referring to it as iPhone 5 or like the iPad refer to it by gen calling it the iPhone 6?

Last edited:

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Um... if you look on my info it does say join date June 2012..

anyhoo I am not here to bash iPhoners I'm here to to bash logic.. if this was any brand and the logic was flawed I would be having a go at that too.. as i said I am happy to eat my words come next week let's just wait and see

So far no one has challenged my arguments I welcome it.. thanks

Please return here on the 12th, late afternoon east coast time would you :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.