Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Haven't seen many about yet....so this thread will probably disappear off the page pretty quick. :rolleyes:

Applespider

macrumors G4
I only really know of the UK Train Timetable widget

But that's incredibly useful; infinitely faster than National Rail's Live Departure Board website. It's helped me leave the house early enough twice this week to catch the late-running 'early' train rather than getting to the station to discover the normal one is also late and making me late for work. ;)

There is one for Yell.com too but since the results come back in Safari anyhow, I've never bothered downloading it.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Applespider said:
I only really know of the UK Train Timetable widget

But that's incredibly useful; infinitely faster than National Rail's Live Departure Board website. It's helped me leave the house early enough twice this week to catch the late-running 'early' train rather than getting to the station to discover the normal one is also late and making me late for work. ;)

There is one for Yell.com too but since the results come back in Safari anyhow, I've never bothered downloading it.

Thanks for your response..ONE response LOL..... I guess that says how useful Dashboard is going to be to UK users. :p

Applespider

macrumors G4
MacSA said:
Thanks for your response..ONE response LOL..... I guess that says how useful Dashboard is going to be to UK users. :p

But I'm using lots of other widgets that work in the UK; like weather, Jwire and the Dictionary app (even tho it uses the OAD, it does reference UK spelling and definitions so it's not quite so bad as I feared it might be). The iComic Dilbert is also becoming a favourite.

I'm sure we'll see more when UK developers figure out which online resources to use. I've seen specific weather widgets for Norway, restaurant menus in Germany so I'm sure at some point, we'll end up with UK TopTable restaurant lookups and BBC weather forecasts etc. Another part of the problem might be that many UK websites make you register before you can use their service; directory enquiries, postcode lookups, TV listings all require registration so widgets aren't going to be easy for lone developers to come up with unless they send the user to register beforehand.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
The Yellow Pages widget made by Onar is a bit buggy. I did a few searches and now if I enter any text it will not get any results. Just leave a blank area.

I did a search and clicked on a link to open a browser page, and after that it won't find anything else. Sometimes it just sits on searching and doesn't come back with any results.

Deej

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
UK
I'm trying to find a weight converter, that converts from kg to uk stones / pounds - the default converter with dashboard doesn't do this which is mighty annoying!

Anybody seen one on their travels? I haven't as yet...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.