Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
I've got a 15" Ti PowerBook and decided to upgraded to Tiger today and so far it's been stable and no real problems. The only complaint I have so far is that the fan runs FAR MORE than before. I'll be browsing sites and about 10-15 minutes in and the fan comes on and won't shut off. The fan has been running for a long time and I never used to have this problem before.

Is anyone else having a problem with the fans running constantly?

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well I think that is because many more features are running in the back demanding more CPU power...or load...therefore more heat ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Juventuz said:
Is anyone else having a problem with the fans running constantly?

No problems here. You said you 'upgraded' to Tiger, does this mean you didn't do a clean install? I did an upgrade first and Tiger ran well, but not perfectly. There were some small idiosyncracies with some of the new features and some of the old programs. I then did a reformat and install and it's running better than ever. :D

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
I find that the people that do a clean install don't have as many problems as the people who just do an upgrade and save their old system files. Try doing a clean install, i'm sure it will fix your problem. Also check all the background programs that are running, some of them take up a huge amount of the cpu.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Also, before this thread explodes into another debate with a certain MR member :rolleyes: about the merits of a clean install, have you tried resetting the PRAM and NVRAM? It doesn't seem to me so far that there is any consistent pattern of notebook computers affected by this issue, although I don't think I've heard of it with any iBook users.... I'm not sure about that. But anyway, I believe that the power management hardware controls the fan too, doesn't it? This might be an easy place to start, and it doesn't involve any real hassle beyond rebooting.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Did you ever have Virex installed on your TiBook? It doesn't play nicely with Tiger at all. I'd disabled mine but used the uninstaller script to wipe it out completely and it stopped the fan running quite so much in my AL book.

I do still find Tiger is running a little warmer though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.