Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
So for the people playing around with Siri,
Can Siri actually do anything without Wi-Fi or 3G data connection ?
Do make a reminder, play music, or Calendar events ... does it really need a data connection ???

thanks guys

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Okkk so no one has tested if Siri works without a network connection for basic tasks such as calendar editing, telling it to play music, doing reminders .. ??

Legionnaire

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011
why does it require data in the first place? i dont understand why it needs data connection anyway..

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

In needs data because it sends your request to a server which computes your action and thereafter will send back the response to the phone to carry out the action.

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
Wow ... So If I drive my car up to an other country and dont have a 3G connection in the other country ... Siri becomes offline and no way to use it ??

Sounds like a useless feature to me if you need it always online in order for it to work

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well as of right now you wouldn't have a use for it outside the states (especially for travel). But yes, you require 3G or wifi for it to do anything.

ksoze

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Sounds like a useless feature to me if you need it always online in order for it to work

You mean useless like Google, email, weather, texting, etc? I would prepare for more connected-based experiences as cloud and web services grow and local app gating only fades as users depend on these devices even more.

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho

ksoze said:

You mean useless like Google, email, weather, texting, etc? I would prepare for more connected-based experiences as cloud and web services grow and local app gating only fades as users depend on these devices even more.

Nice. That's exactly how I feel. I've heard a few complain about siri's connectivity but say nothing of just about every other feature on a mobile phone that requires a connection. Either use the data or carry around a super computer and siri will work. Apple chose the former over the latter.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Yes, Siri sends some form of your audio (or possibly just the text of what you've spoken) to a server which uses a database to figure out the meaning behind your words. The benefit of using a central database/server means that the system can improve by using all this data to refine the way it understands you.

Well as of right now you wouldn't have a use for it outside the states (especially for travel). But yes, you require 3G or wifi for it to do anything.

Really? So looking up directions is the ONLY thing that Siri does?

aduteau

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007

True ... And we end up paying even more for new data intensive packages from our carrier, boy ... The carriers most be so happy about the Cloud thing taking off

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho

sammich said:
Yes, Siri sends some form of your audio (or possibly just the text of what you've spoken) to a server which uses a database to figure out the meaning behind your words. The benefit of using a central database/server means that the system can improve by using all this data to refine the way it understands you.

Really? So looking up directions is the ONLY thing that Siri does?

If you are in another country directions and Yelp related requests would be wry useful. Of course other Siri functions would be necessary but primarily the two to get around comfortably.

tourada

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Idaho

thelatinist said:
Unfortunately, because of this my phone can't even do the basic voice commands my 3GS could do in no-signal areas. It's frustrating.

Well it is still beta. Maybe Apple will change that and allow parts of Siri (like the original voice control features and also dictation) to work offline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.