Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Greer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Wayne, NJ USA
My new iPhone 4S has only been out of the box for 18 hours, but I already love it. It's a far change from my BB :D

Going to bed last night, I tried lowering the volume to zero, like I would do with my iPod Touch, but the iPhone would only lower to one notch (almost silent). I had to flip the silent/vibrate button and modify the Silent settings to not vibrate while silent. I don't like this solution, because many times I want to put the phone on Silent and Vibrate mode.

How can I get the volume to lower to zero?

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Yea. I wish there was a "completely" silent mode. I can still hear my phone vibrate from across the room. Think you need to set up a silent ringtone. Wish there was one, and it was easy to access on the fly.

John Greer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Wayne, NJ USA
Switch it to silent mode?
According to what I read last night, the flip button on top of the volume up/down buttons is to switch to Silent Mode. Silent mode is then defined in Settings (actual silent or silent with vibrate).

Remember, I'm new to iPhones and you can't always believe what you read...

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
What I did before going to bed was turn airplane mode on before going to bed.

bouda

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Has there been any hacks to change this? I had the original iPhone and you could hit the volume button and the ringer would be completely silent and not vibrate. I did this when I slept. Much easier then going into the sound settings and turning vibrate off and back on each night/morning.

Hits Outdoors

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Flip the ringer switch which is right above the up and down volume buttons on the left side of the phone to off. There will be no call or tone sounds at all. If u want to kill the vibrate also .just click settings and slide the tab next to vibrate over to OFF.Now ur phone is totally silent

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
You can turn off the vibrate function in settings under "sounds". I always turn off the vibrate functions on my iPhone. Then the silent button will truly be a silent button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.