Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:26 AM   #1
soulreaver99
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
My iPhone 4S Review

http://www.thegeeksoffice.com/?p=221

Enjoy!
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
So "one of the best phones out in the market to date" gets a 7.5/10 ?
Matthew Yohe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:40 AM   #3
soulreaver99
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
This was a tough one. This is no way a perfect 10, but it's not that innovative and not that big a reason to jump from an iPhone 4. Still a good product nonetheless.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:45 AM   #4
DroidRules
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
This was a tough one. This is no way a perfect 10, but it's not that innovative and not that big a reason to jump from an iPhone 4. Still a good product nonetheless.
Not that innovative and not that big a reason to jump huh. Are we supposed to take your blog seriously when you make those types of statements? Not saying it's the best phone out there for every user but I say the millions sold (many by 4 owners) tell a different story.

This phone is head and shoulders above the 4, in many aspects. Speed, antenna, camera, dual core processor, video, picture editing on phone, Siri..... If it was in a different case with slightly bigger screen I bet you would be freaking over it and saying how innovative apple is. Even though I don't agree with your findings thanks for posting it up.

Last edited by DroidRules; Oct 16, 2011 at 03:01 AM.
DroidRules is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:18 AM   #5
soulreaver99
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidRules View Post
If it was in a different case with slightly bigger screen I bet you would be freaking over it and saying how innovative apple is.
It's going to take a little more than that
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:31 AM   #6
TheNinjaJedi
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidRules View Post

This phone is head and shoulders above the 4, in many aspects.... picture editing on phone.....
iPhone 4 does this with iOS 5 installed.


Last edited by TheNinjaJedi; Oct 16, 2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: fixed quote box
TheNinjaJedi is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidRules View Post
Not that innovative and not that big a reason to jump huh. Are we supposed to take your blog seriously when you make those types of statements? Not saying it's the best phone out there for every user but I say the millions sold (many by 4 owners) tell a different story.

This phone is head and shoulders above the 4, in many aspects. Speed, antenna, camera, dual core processor, video, picture editing on phone, Siri..... If it was in a different case with slightly bigger screen I bet you would be freaking over it and saying how innovative apple is. Even though I don't agree with your findings thanks for posting it up.
I may disagree with his comment that it is not a big enough reason to jump from a 4 to a 4S (I don't think it is for *me*), but I do think that you are not differentiating properly between something that is *innovative* and something that is, for example, *evolutionary*. I will grant that Siri is a great evolution (some will say revolutionary which is fair) and the antenna may well be revolutionary (in terms of dual diversity for both send and receive but this was to fix a problem which should not have existed) but the rest? Speed, dual core, video, picture editing on phone...

On balance overall, this is a great evolution.
Peterg2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:12 PM   #8
soulreaver99
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
It will be very interesting when the hack makes Siri 100% functional on the iPhone 4. I stand by my review and it's pretty clear that the leap from the 4 to the 4S wasn't that great a leap from the 3GS to the 4. And as I mentioned, anyone with less than an iPhone 4, this would be an excellent phone to upgrade to.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Matthew Yohe
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Send a message via AIM to Matthew Yohe
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
It will be very interesting when the hack makes Siri 100% functional on the iPhone 4.
It won't happen.
Matthew Yohe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:01 PM   #10
mackmgg
macrumors 65816
 
mackmgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
This was a tough one. This is no way a perfect 10, but it's not that innovative and not that big a reason to jump from an iPhone 4. Still a good product nonetheless.
When reviewing a phone, why should you factor in how big of a jump it is over the previous model? If it's the best phone on the market, it should be a 10/10, and the iPhone 4, if only slightly lesser, should be a 9/10. Then users would see that, and decide whether or not to upgrade.
mackmgg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmgg View Post
When reviewing a phone, why should you factor in how big of a jump it is over the previous model? If it's the best phone on the market, it should be a 10/10, and the iPhone 4, if only slightly lesser, should be a 9/10. Then users would see that, and decide whether or not to upgrade.
No phone is perfect. Thus to award a phone 10/10 implies that in terms of the current state of development it cannot be improved upon. That is absurd.

Last edited by Peterg2; Oct 16, 2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: correcting typo
Peterg2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:39 PM   #12
mackmgg
macrumors 65816
 
mackmgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterg2 View Post
No phone is perfect. Thus to award a phone 10/10 implies that in terms of the current state of development it cannot be improved upon. That is absurd.
Oh, I didn't mean that it deserved a 10/10. He just said in a reply that it wasn't a perfect 10 because it wasn't big enough of a jump. I don't think that it is a perfect phone, but it's certainly better than a 7.5/10, and the fact that the previous generation was also good shouldn't discredit a new phone.
mackmgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:18 PM   #13
soulreaver99
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackmgg View Post
Oh, I didn't mean that it deserved a 10/10. He just said in a reply that it wasn't a perfect 10 because it wasn't big enough of a jump. I don't think that it is a perfect phone, but it's certainly better than a 7.5/10, and the fact that the previous generation was also good shouldn't discredit a new phone.
I think you just skipped right down to the last paragraph and didn't read the rest. I have a bad habit of doing that too. Lack of innovation was not the only reason. Battery performance wasn't as great as the 4 (from my own testing), no LTE in this 4G capable world, iOS 5 is the best iOS but it doesn't really stand out or do anything different from rival mobile OSs

7.5 is in no way a bad rating. I said several times it's a great phone. I love apple and know what they've been capable of. There's just a lot more they could have done on this years iPhone
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:24 PM   #14
kre62
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I cant wait til iOS 6 comes out and all these 4 owners will be crying about how their phones with 3GS technology (internal chip architechture) cant keep up.

Lol at shortsightedness. I saw the same thing when the 3GS came out, and people thought it wasnt a big deal cause right then and there at that time, the 3G ran iOS 3 just fine. We all know what happened after that...
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:26 PM   #15
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidRules View Post
Not that innovative and not that big a reason to jump huh. Are we supposed to take your blog seriously when you make those types of statements? Not saying it's the best phone out there for every user but I say the millions sold (many by 4 owners) tell a different story.

This phone is head and shoulders above the 4, in many aspects. Speed, antenna, camera, dual core processor, video, picture editing on phone, Siri..... If it was in a different case with slightly bigger screen I bet you would be freaking over it and saying how innovative apple is. Even though I don't agree with your findings thanks for posting it up.
So the only reviews you take seriously are ones that treat the 4S as the holy grail of phones?
2IS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:32 PM   #16
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Careful with your review: You say that all accessories are compatible with 4 and 4S, and that's simply not true if you have an AT&T iPhone 4. My original Apple bumper doesn't work (the new revision does), and a LOT of my cases that came out for the AT&T iPhone do not work fit correctly because of the shifted mute switch.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:37 PM   #17
soulreaver99
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Careful with your review: You say that all accessories are compatible with 4 and 4S, and that's simply not true if you have an AT&T iPhone 4. My original Apple bumper doesn't work (the new revision does), and a LOT of my cases that came out for the AT&T iPhone do not work fit correctly because of the shifted mute switch.
Thanks for pointing that out. I have a the Snap Case from Incase and it works on both the iPhone 4 and the 4S. The bumper works on both too, so I guess I have the newer revision. I'll make a note of that!
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:01 PM   #18
braddick
macrumors 68040
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
I think you just skipped right down to the last paragraph and didn't read the rest. I have a bad habit of doing that too. Lack of innovation was not the only reason. Battery performance wasn't as great as the 4 (from my own testing), no LTE in this 4G capable world, iOS 5 is the best iOS but it doesn't really stand out or do anything different from rival mobile OSs

7.5 is in no way a bad rating. I said several times it's a great phone. I love apple and know what they've been capable of. There's just a lot more they could have done on this years iPhone
7.5 out of ten is 75%. A 75% on a term paper or a test is equal to a C+.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:11 PM   #19
impulse462
macrumors 65816
 
impulse462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
I think you just skipped right down to the last paragraph and didn't read the rest. I have a bad habit of doing that too. Lack of innovation was not the only reason. Battery performance wasn't as great as the 4 (from my own testing), no LTE in this 4G capable world, iOS 5 is the best iOS but it doesn't really stand out or do anything different from rival mobile OSs

7.5 is in no way a bad rating. I said several times it's a great phone. I love apple and know what they've been capable of. There's just a lot more they could have done on this years iPhone
You can't dock points off the phone's score for what it's not. That's like a car reviewer saying that a Ford is not as good as a Saturn V rocket because it can't reach terminal velocity.

I agree with everyone else, if it's the best phone on the market, you should have given it a 10/10. It is, however, nice to see someone taking the time to write something up like this.
__________________
13.3" MacBook Air, 1.3GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; 16GB Space Gray iPhone 6
impulse462 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:18 PM   #20
TopToffee
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
It will be very interesting when the hack makes Siri 100% functional on the iPhone 4. I stand by my review and it's pretty clear that the leap from the 4 to the 4S wasn't that great a leap from the 3GS to the 4. And as I mentioned, anyone with less than an iPhone 4, this would be an excellent phone to upgrade to.
But that's not the comparable leap.

The comparable shift is from 3G to 3GS... and this revision (4 to 4S) is MUCH MUCH bigger
TopToffee is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:18 PM   #21
2IS
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulse462 View Post
I agree with everyone else, if it's the best phone on the market, you should have given it a 10/10. It is, however, nice to see someone taking the time to write something up like this.
Except not everyone else is saying that. You can get the highest score on a test in your class, that doesn't mean you got 100% on the test. So unless the review scoring is based on a curve, "the best phone on the market" does not have to equate to a perfect 10/10
2IS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:22 PM   #22
soulreaver99
Thread Starter
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
7.5 out of ten is 75%. A 75% on a term paper or a test is equal to a C+.
That's a pretty good grade for some people! Seriously, just because I didn't give it anything higher than a 9, doesn't mean I'm trashing the product at all.

Everyone has different expectations. I respect that.
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 6 Plus 128GB | Samsung Galaxy Note 4
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!

Last edited by soulreaver99; Oct 16, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
soulreaver99 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:26 PM   #23
TJ5921
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
This is my first iPhone. 10/10.
TJ5921 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:55 PM   #24
timberga
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreaver99 View Post
I agree on the battery life part.....it's definitely worse on the 4s than the 4.....but I think a good comparison would be

iPhone 4 with iOS 5 and
iPhone 4S with iOS 5 (default)

My friends with iPhone 4 are complaining about battery life as well that have upgraded to iOS 5.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopToffee View Post
But that's not the comparable leap.

The comparable shift is from 3G to 3GS... and this revision (4 to 4S) is MUCH MUCH bigger
Wait you are saying that the 3G to 3GS wasn't as big of an "impact" as the 4 to 4S?
timberga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:59 PM   #25
JohnnyQuest
macrumors 65816
 
JohnnyQuest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Your review is flawed.

The 4S is heavier, and is distinguishable by the Verizon-like antenna setup and the inclusion of a SIM slot. Plus, you call it "the phone of 2011," yet give it a 7.5/10?
__________________
2.6 GHz 8GB RAM 512GB HD Retina MacBook Pro. 64GB LTE iPad air. 64GB iPhone 5
JohnnyQuest is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5s review Jgraeff iPhone 7 Sep 23, 2013 05:28 PM
My Review of the iPhone 5 BrownManUPS iPhone 14 Oct 5, 2012 10:00 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC