Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the iPhone 4S debuted on Sprint on Friday, a number of the carrier's customers have been complaining of slow data speeds. While the issues are not universal for iPhone users on Sprint, they do seem to be affecting a substantial number of customers.

sprint_logo.jpg

PCMag.com now reports that Sprint has issued a statement on the issue, characterizing the complaints as a "small number of reports" that the carrier is looking into.
"As always, Sprint is carefully monitoring the performance of the 3G network. We are looking into a small number of reports of slow data speeds when using the iPhone 4S, however there are also reports showing that Sprint's network is the fastest, such as the Gizmodo report that came out earlier today. Speed tests represent a moment in time and are subject to many variables including weather, time of day, device, and proximity to a tower. Sprint will continue to monitor the feedback we are getting from our customers and will investigate and resolve any issues that may arise," the company said in a statement.
As the report notes, it is unclear exactly what Gizmodo report Sprint is referring to as supporting its case, as the site's informal speed test survey is indeed showing dramatically slower average data speeds for Sprint compared to AT&T and Verizon.

PCMag.com also notes that Sprint has already been measured to have the slowest real-world 3G network speeds of the three iPhone carriers in the United States, and thus the iPhone itself may not be having a significant effect on the carrier's network. And with some customers perhaps being new to Sprint with the iPhone, they may have been unaware of the carrier's network speeds.

Article Link: Sprint Denies Widespread Issues with Slow iPhone Data Speeds

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My Sprint was slow as balls on Friday when I received it, but since Saturday it's been perfectly fine.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Guys, give them a chance. I am personally giving them a chance until my 14 days are about to run out. I used Sprint before and they were excellent, unless something changed, they should get over it.

BTW, remember it is mostly those with horrible speeds that come to MR or Sprint community to post, happy customers are unlikely to post.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
I was getting absolutely impressive 3G speeds last night. (100KB/s down 50KB/s up) On launch day, they were garbage.

I'm wondering if they fixed it and are denying anything was ever wrong in the first place?

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I was getting absolutely impressive 3G speeds last night. (100KB/s down 50KB/s up) On launch day, they were garbage.

I'm wondering if they fixed it and are denying anything was ever wrong in the first place?

What speeds are you getting now?

Gavernty

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
AT&T was pretty slow when the Iphone 4 first came out, give it time... their network is probably taking a major beating with this launch

jasontll

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I am with Sprint now and I hate it every time I saw the ad how they were great about the unlimited data plan and they said ATT and VZN charge you more after 2GB and TMobile slows you down after 2GB, yet they were the only fast and unlimited... In reality, they were slow from day 1 till the end....:(:(

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
By my math, that's still about half normal.

Interesting, for an EVDO Rev.A network? On any of my previous phones, I was never able to see 100KB/s ever, but that could be a function of where I live.

Now that it's midday and the towers are loaded up, I'm seeing about 60KB/s down and 20KB/s up. Still very usable for web browsing though.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Sounds like...

...that Propaganda Minister of Iraq. He denied the reality. Sprint being the fastest 3G? Where? At their Headquarters? My work phone is Sprint, my private phone is Verizon, my iPad is AT&T. Who are you kidding, Sprint? If I compare coverage and speed, you loose in 19/20 times against both competitors. Before I had Verizon, I had T-Mobile. No problems there either - I just wanted an iPhone. :D

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
I'm getting like 40KB/s-60KB/s downstream on average, but my upstream has never been above like 3KB/s. Weird. According to the Ookla SpeedTest app.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I'd rather have a sub-par internet performance for unlimited monthly than to have blazing fast internet that's only good for 2GB.

burjeffton

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Calls

My data was slow on launch day but plenty fast ever since.

The best part about switching to Sprint is that I can now make phone calls. Brilliant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.