Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Is this some sort of weird feature I'm unaware of? I'm using the 4S (w/factory iOS5). Whether I'm on the home screen or in an app, the volume will all of a sudden turn up to full blast. It happens sporadically, I can't replicate it every time but it happens probably every second or third time I use the phone. The volume icon will appear on the screen, and when I try to turn it down it goes back up on it's own.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've owned every single iPhone and never had this issue before. Is this an OS issue or do you think it's my phone that's defective (or is it some weird iOS5 feature).

LWP777

Suspended
Sep 20, 2010
Yes, I'm experiencing this as well. For example, tonight the volume was turned town to a pretty low setting but when I unlocked the phone, it was turned up full blast. Pretty annoying. I'm on the new 4S. I don't remember this happening with my 4.

Anyone?

Spliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
On some occasions the volume icon will just stay on the screen and not go away without the volume even moving. This makes no sense it's either the volume button is jammed so the volume is increasing or else it's an iOS issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Same with my 2 iphone4s (one black/one white) 32gb.

I am also experiencing brightness issue, brightness goes full blast at passcode/lock screen, whenever i enter my code, it turns back to lower state... :confused:

AntPhone

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I was just about to start a new thread with this....not sure if it's completely similar but when I use Siri to create a text message, if I had to manually edit the text message before sending it, then I notice that the volume of the keyboard clicks is extremely high for the first few clicks....as I continue to type I can hear the volume readjusting to a lower level. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Spliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
For me, it mainly happens when I first unlock the phone. All of a sudden the volume will start increasing for no reason. When I push the decrease volume button, it will "fight" with the increase volume but will still go down until I release the button. It's like pushing both buttons on the phone at once, the OS doesn't know what to do with it and the increase volume ends up winning.

I've also tried adjusting the ringer volume in the settings to low, but to no avail.

Even if the volume is already up full blast, it will still try to increase the volume, thus keeping the volume indicator on the screen. It's very annoying if you're trying to read something and the volume icon is sitting in front of everything.

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009

I am also experiencing brightness issue, brightness goes full blast at passcode/lock screen, whenever i enter my code, it turns back to lower state... :confused:

The brightness change between the lock screen and the home screen has functioned that way on my 3GS, 4, and now 4S. I don't think it's a new issue.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I was just about to start a new thread with this....not sure if it's completely similar but when I use Siri to create a text message, if I had to manually edit the text message before sending it, then I notice that the volume of the keyboard clicks is extremely high for the first few clicks....as I continue to type I can hear the volume readjusting to a lower level. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Same here. Right after using Siri the volume is loud for the first few sounds, whether it be keyboard click, an SMS tone, or locking/unlocking the phone.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
I have this issue and on further investigation found that if I try to lightly jiggling the volume up button back and forth, it will register it as a click and will often just boost the volume straight up to the top. I'd be interested to see if its the same for you guys - if so it would indicate a hardware problem.

I have a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

thatisme

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2010
United States
Ive had the same issue with iOS5 upgrade on my iPhone 4. I did a wipe / reset on the device and re-loaded everything manually without using the backup, and it seemed to have fixed the issue for me. YMMV

Spliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I have this issue and on further investigation found that if I try to lightly jiggling the volume up button back and forth, it will register it as a click and will often just boost the volume straight up to the top. I'd be interested to see if its the same for you guys - if so it would indicate a hardware problem.

I have a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Funny you mention that because I just jiggled the volume down button and it still increased the volume. If I jiggle both buttons they both increase the volume. Good find, I can replicate this every time.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Funny you mention that because I just jiggled the volume down button and it still increased the volume. If I jiggle both buttons they both increase the volume. Good find, I can replicate this every time.

It went up after you jiggled volume down? Now that's interesting. I called Apple last night and she said I should restore the firmware. I knew it wouldn't do anything, but I did it anyway and, surprise surprise, the volume still randomly increases. Genius Bar appointment at 4:20pm today so I'll let you know how it goes.

jameswinder

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Hi everyone. I just registered here after googling this issue. I have a white 64GB iPhone 4S with EXACTLY the same issue being described here. PLEASE could you guys let me know ASAP what the genius bar guys say? I live in the UK.

WytRaven

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Orbiting Mercury

Yes I have had this one several times.

Spliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
It went up after you jiggled volume down? Now that's interesting. I called Apple last night and she said I should restore the firmware. I knew it wouldn't do anything, but I did it anyway and, surprise surprise, the volume still randomly increases. Genius Bar appointment at 4:20pm today so I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes, if I have the volume on the lowest setting and jiggle the down volume for just a second, it will increase the volume all the way to full blast. This happens without me even holding down the volume button.

Probably time for me to make an appt at the genius bar as well...

jameswinder

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Yes, if I have the volume on the lowest setting and jiggle the down volume for just a second, it will increase the volume all the way to full blast. This happens without me even holding down the volume button.

Probably time for me to make an appt at the genius bar as well...

Exactly the same here. Really annoyed now. I can't listen to music as after a few minutes the volume shoots up to full blast and hurts my ears. Probably gonna call Apple ASAP and see what they can do.

I'm eagerly waiting to see what the guys who've been to a genius bar today have to report!

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Just back from the Apple Store. The Genius immediately agreed it was a hardware problem and swapped it there and then. Played around with the new iPhone's volume buttons and they seem fine, so hopefully this is just an issue on a few units.

jameswinder

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Thank you for letting us know. I did a restore and it didn't work so I'm going to see the Genius Bar next Saturday. Really hope they can replace it with a working unit!

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Just back from the Apple Store. The Genius immediately agreed it was a hardware problem and swapped it there and then. Played around with the new iPhone's volume buttons and they seem fine, so hopefully this is just an issue on a few units.

So a Genius "immediately agreed"? Tell you what, I'd fire this genius immediately if it were up to me.

I have a iP4 that's never had this issue. It started happening just now with iOS5. Happened to me just once actually since I upgraded the OS. Definitely not a hardware issue.

jameswinder

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
So a Genius "immediately agreed"? Tell you what, I'd fire this genius immediately if it were up to me.

I have a iP4 that's never had this issue. It started happening just now with iOS5. Happened to me just once actually since I upgraded the OS. Definitely not a hardware issue.

I don't think this is a software issue.

I reset my phone to factory settings and it occurred even before I installed any apps or even set the phone up.

If I even brush my finger over the volume down button it turns the volume up!

Plus this person's replacement phone seems to be fine.

There is only a very very thin membrane under that button and I'm pretty certain Apple have simply made it far too easy to break on this model. I've owned every iPhone and never had this issue before.

Interestingly guys here's a post with someone having exactly the same issue with an iPhone 3 back in 98!!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/565261/

answerman

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2008
I don't think this is a software issue.

I reset my phone to factory settings and it occurred even before I installed any apps or even set the phone up.

If I even brush my finger over the volume down button it turns the volume up!

Plus this person's replacement phone seems to be fine.

There is only a very very thin membrane under that button and I'm pretty certain Apple have simply made it far too easy to break on this model. I've owned every iPhone and never had this issue before.

Interestingly guys here's a post with someone having exactly the same issue with an iPhone 3 back in 98!!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/565261/

I had my 4S replaced today for this same flaw. The "Genius" did a firmware restore first and the problem did not resolve. The issue is not present with my current phone.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

That is normal. The ambient light sensor does not kick in till it is unlocked. So to ensure you will at least be able to see the screen to unlock it in strong lighting conditions it goes to full brightness. It goes to your brightness setting right after. This has been the iPhone's behavior since it was released in 2007.

Michael

jameswinder

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
I had my 4S replaced today for this same flaw. The "Genius" did a firmware restore first and the problem did not resolve. The issue is not present with my current phone.

So that's 2 people in this thread. Basically looks like a small number of units basically have a hardware fault then. Unlucky I guess. I really hope the store can just swap mine straight over.

Just wondering if anything else could cause it. Do you guys use a case with your 4S and if so which one? I'm using a rocketfish case which is basically like a rubber bumper with a clear plastic back. Obviously it's not design specifically for the 4S but definitely no part of the case is covering the buttons or anything and it's not too tight.

I've been using the phone daily for music and using the volume buttons and never noticed the problem until today when it suddenly started happening. Now it happens virtually every time I try to do anything with the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.