Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crunkcrumpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Youtube video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67D1BgwuEG8

Basically my iPhone turns the volume up - all by itself. No matter if I try to lower it down using the slider or the volume buttons.

Anyone have any ideas? *It did this a few weeks ago under firmware 2.0.1, but was lowering itself down, rebooting did fix the problem, but I don't want to reboot everytime it happens*

Etnies419

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Does your screen periodically lock/unlock or show the "Slide to Power Off" slider? I had this problem with my old iPhone that I exchanged about 2 weeks ago. There was something loose inside of it, and you could hear it when you shook it. It only did the previously mentioned things when I shook it though.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I had the same problem just earlier today, but mine was lowering the volume. It went funny when I plugged it into my car aux. I did reboot to fix the problem. I have no buttons broken or anything. I'm on the 1st iPhone, so weird. I haven't had the problem since and won't really worry about it until it keeps happening.

Btw, nice song. :p

cruelmemory

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2007
How to troubleshoot this issue

OK, so with this problem (by the sound of the description) could very well be software related. If the iPhone has not been impacted around the volume rocker (or worse, exposed to liquid), and since resetting the phone resolves the issue short term, it indicates that it's more software then hardware related. I would try to restore the phone before bringing it to Apple.

Remember to sync all of your information first and do a restore and setup as new phone this is important because if your having a software issue and you restore from backup, guess what? The problem gets reinstalled as well and you just wasted your time doing a restore from backup.

Only restore from backup if you are not having software related issues (for example, your iPhone was working fine and was swapped because the ringer switch fell off. Then you should be able to restore from backup).

If the issue persists on a clean restore without syncing any information, then it would indicate a hardware issue within the switch.

lmccleve

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
Re:

Hey i tried restoring the software on my phone, (as a new phone), but it still hasnt fixed it does anyone else have any ideas?? THe strange thing is that it doesnt do it all the time, only every couple days..

Gadgetgeezer

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2009
I am sure that a new wiring harness will solve your problem. The membrane switches for volume etc can either fail or become stuck over time.

1swift

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
I am sure that a new wiring harness will solve your problem. The membrane switches for volume etc can either fail or become stuck over time.

So this is looking like hardware, My phone seemed to switch from silent to unsilent easily in my pocket recently, now my phone goes all the way up and the notification often stays on screen

Any chance apple replaces this on a 3gs? its out of warranty by now im sure

NOUSERNAMESLEFT

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Iphone 3gs volume bug

i have a similar problem but instead of having the volume turn up all the time i have no volume except for calls and alarms :mad:@:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.