Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Prissy
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4S shuts off by itself

My iPhone 4S (AT&T) has been shutting off by itself like 3-4 times a day... Has anyone came across this problem?
Prissy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Nope, I would bring it back to Apple and have it replaced.
Sounds like a hardware defect.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Prissy
macrumors 6502

Anyone else?
Prissy is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
GooMan
macrumors regular

Nope, I would bring it back to Apple and have it replaced.
Sounds like a hardware defect.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:31 PM   #5
nwmtnbiker
macrumors 65816

Settings/General/Auto-Lock and change it to never lol.
nwmtnbiker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Sevzmac03
macrumors newbie

4s

Im experiencing the same issue. After it turns off it gets put into " recovery mode" then im required to restore it every time.. Pretty annoying!
Sevzmac03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:11 PM   #7
verwon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevzmac03 View Post
Im experiencing the same issue. After it turns off it gets put into " recovery mode" then im required to restore it every time.. Pretty annoying!
Go to Apple!
verwon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:28 PM   #8
Sevzmac03
macrumors newbie

Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by verwon View Post
Go to Apple!
Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this..
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:34 PM   #9
verwon
macrumors 68030

Quote:

----------

Unfortunate luck of the draw, happens to everyone sometimes. It sucks, but...

Hope your next one has no flaws.
verwon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:43 PM   #10
Sevzmac03
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by verwon View Post
Unfortunate luck of the draw, happens to everyone sometimes. It sucks, but...

Hope your next one has no flaws.
i know its an unfortunate luck, oh well.. hopefully next time i get tomorrow is all good. thank you!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:56 PM   #11
verwon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
i know its an unfortunate luck, oh well.. hopefully next time i get tomorrow is all good. thank you!
I once went through 4 phones, it was a PIA!
verwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:44 AM   #12
sg01
macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. The phone turns off by it self. This has happened numerous times a day. In going to the Apple Store tom.
sg01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Go to Settings>General>Usage>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. If anything on that page has "panic" anywhere on the entry, your iPhone is experiencing kernel panics due to a hardware issue. The only fix for this is a replacement. No software update or restore will fix it.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Evolutioncsr
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyotoma View Post
Go to Settings>General>Usage>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. If anything on that page has "panic" anywhere on the entry, your iPhone is experiencing kernel panics due to a hardware issue. The only fix for this is a replacement. No software update or restore will fix it.
It is Settings>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. Thank you though. My phone was shut off today after being in my pocket for about 30 minutes I know for a fact I did not shut it off as I was using it frequently as calculator at work. Plus I never shut my phone off

I do have a panic.plist for todays date right around the time my phone was off

Last edited by Evolutioncsr; Oct 24, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Evolutioncsr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:49 PM   #15
sg01
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Thank you. I confirm that there were many kernel panics under diagnostics log. I went to the Apple Store today and was given a replacement. So far, the replacement has not shut off by itself.
sg01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:54 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg01 View Post
Thank you. I confirm that there were many kernel panics under diagnostics log. I went to the Apple Store today and was given a replacement. So far, the replacement has not shut off by itself.
Finally someone listened
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 01:07 AM   #17
irfan22
macrumors member

I've encountered this shut off problem twice since getting my phone on the 14th. I've checked under the diagnostics. I don't have any panic kernel but I have a ton of "low memory" logs

What does that mean?
irfan22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:03 AM   #18
MacSiorNo
macrumors newbie

OMG Me Too

Finally found someone else with the same problem! I pre-ordered 4S and got it the day it came out and I have had problems ever since! Mine shuts down multiple times a day, I am convinced there would be uber-pissed iPhone 4s users if this happened to everyone, so I definitely need to go to Apple.

Since I couldn't find anyone else with this many comlpaints, I thought it was normal to have this many bugs in the first version of software...etc. Hopefully I don't have to live with this anymore....it's been so annoying!!!!

Also---many apps don't work and my camera doesn't take pics anymore.
MacSiorNo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:06 AM   #19
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSiorNo View Post
Finally found someone else with the same problem! I pre-ordered 4S and got it the day it came out and I have had problems ever since! Mine shuts down multiple times a day, I am convinced there would be uber-pissed iPhone 4s users if this happened to everyone, so I definitely need to go to Apple.

Since I couldn't find anyone else with this many comlpaints, I thought it was normal to have this many bugs in the first version of software...etc. Hopefully I don't have to live with this anymore....it's been so annoying!!!!

Also---many apps don't work and my camera doesn't take pics anymore.
Definitely check your diagnostics for kernel panics.

Also, this is not the first version of the software. It is the eighth.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:37 AM   #20
MacSiorNo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Definitely check your diagnostics for kernel panics.

Also, this is not the first version of the software. It is the eighth.
Yes, I didn't know how to check them before....I did and there are globs of "panics". I am actually relieved to be nearing a resolution. HAHA--I was basically trying to say that I was too optimistic about my problems being tied to the fact that the phone was new...etc. Haha, I stand corrected, eighth version.
MacSiorNo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:44 PM   #21
sandornaut
macrumors newbie

i've been posting my experiences with this issue here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16556626#16556626

the short of it: one trip to the apple store where the genius advised me to wipe the phone to factory settings, then set up the phone as new and not from a backup... end result is that the shutdowns continue so i got on the phone with applecare today and a replacement is on the way.

hoping for better luck with the new hardware.
sandornaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:07 PM   #22
Prissy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Finally someone listened
I really thought u were kidding... lol but yes I do see panics on the list. Will go to Apple tomorrow. By the way, I also see Low Memory on the list, does anyone know what that means?
Prissy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:46 PM   #23
SaidF
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4s Shuts off by itself

My new iPhone 4s turned itself off one hour after I purchased it about a week ago, and since then it has turned itself off about twice daily (even when the battery was charged)!!!!!
SaidF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 02:49 PM   #24
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaidF View Post
My new iPhone 4s turned itself off one hour after I purchased it about a week ago, and since then it has turned itself off about twice daily (even when the battery was charged)!!!!!
Make sure to check your diagnostics page as well.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 09:11 PM   #25
Prissy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Make sure to check your diagnostics page as well.
So i went to the Apple store today and they told me to restore my phone as a new one with iTune. I just did it.. Let's see if it works or not..
Prissy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting