Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I just bought a new Crucial M4 256GB SSD and am planning on installing Windows 7 as soon as it comes in the mail. Is there anything different about the process as compared to installing on a HDD? I've read that enabling TRIM in Windows can mess up the OS X partition, about aligning the partitions properly, etc. and to be honest I don't know much about this stuff. Any advice? Thanks.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I just installed like normal and patched the MBR to enable AHCI. This gave me the real / actual / expected performance of my OCZ Vertex 3s. There are additional tweaks available to maximize performance but I had already achieved 500MB/s read/writes. If there is any change I suggest is enabling AHCI. The down side of no bootcamp control panel and no sleep are far out weighed by the performance gain.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I just installed like normal and patched the MBR to enable AHCI. This gave me the real / actual / expected performance of my OCZ Vertex 3s. There are additional tweaks available to maximize performance but I had already achieved 500MB/s read/writes. If there is any change I suggest is enabling AHCI. The down side of no bootcamp control panel and no sleep are far out weighed by the performance gain.

Is there anything in Bootcamp that should be changed before enabling AHCI? All I've ever done is change the boot partition from Windows to Mac OS X and have never bothered to mess around with anything else in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.