Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
sla252
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Leave iMessage Group Chat...Please help!

Hey all! I'm a proud owner of the new 4s and the iMessage function is great. However, one of my friends added me to an iMessage group of 20+ people and my phone is constantly going off....its extremely frustrating. Would someone PLEASE give me specific directions on how to leave an iMessage group. Thank you!
sla252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:00 PM   #2
c3m
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
In the Messages app (iMessage app), go to the screen where you see the list of conversation that you had or having.

Click the "Edit" button at the upper left corner. Then find your group chat and press the red button next to it. Delete icon will show to the right of that chat. press that and then done.

or you can simply just slide your finger to the left or right on that chat roll to get the delete button up
c3m is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:00 PM   #3
verwon
macrumors 68030
 
verwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to do so, at this time. You'd need to get them to start a new one, stop using that one and leave you out of the new.
verwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:01 PM   #4
verwon
macrumors 68030
 
verwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3m View Post
In the Messages app (iMessage app), go to the screen where you see the list of conversation that you had or having.

Click the "Edit" button at the upper left corner. Then find your group chat and press the red button next to it. Delete icon will show to the right of that chat. press that and then done.

or you can simply just slide your finger to the left or right on that chat roll to get the delete button up
This doesn't stop you from getting new ones, it just deletes the existing convo.
verwon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
sla252
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
The only thing that I have figured out so far that is working is turning off iMessage all together...its annoying not being able to use iMessage with a single person but oh well for now...hopefully apple will come out with a fix for this issue
sla252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:50 PM   #6
iMessage
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Hopefully "leaving group" option is available on the next iOS update.
iMessage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:51 PM   #7
sla252
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
On the phone with apple support right now in regards to this issue...they keep insisting there is a way to leave a group chat, but still cant seem to give me an answer...now they are transferring me to an "expert"...more to come
sla252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:53 PM   #8
imaketouchtheme
macrumors 6502a
 
imaketouchtheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West Virginia
Send a message via AIM to imaketouchtheme Send a message via MSN to imaketouchtheme Send a message via Skype™ to imaketouchtheme
Interesting. Keep us updated.
__________________
imaketouchtheme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:54 PM   #9
shanezam203
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to shanezam203
How did you join the chat in the 1st place, your friend told you to message a new apple ID? I've never been in a group chat on iPhone, only Blackberry Messenger.
shanezam203 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:55 PM   #10
El3ctronics
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla252 View Post
On the phone with apple support right now in regards to this issue...they keep insisting there is a way to leave a group chat, but still cant seem to give me an answer...now they are transferring me to an "expert"...more to come
Yes please update if you hear anything!
El3ctronics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:57 PM   #11
sla252
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanezam203 View Post
How did you join the chat in the 1st place, your friend told you to message a new apple ID? I've never been in a group chat on iPhone, only Blackberry Messenger.

Same here. All you need to do to start an iMessage group chat is add the phone #'s and/or email addresses of the people you want to include, and they're in. It's very frustrating however when your phone keeps going off every 30 seconds from the members of the group chatting. As of now there is no way to remove yourself from a group chat, unless the person who started it ends it and starts a new one over without including you....still on the phone with apple regarding this issue....I will be sure to keep you all updated
sla252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:10 PM   #12
sla252
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Just got off the phone with apple tech support. They admitted there is no way to remove yourself from an iMessage group chat. The tech guy says the best thing we can do is go to www.apple.com/feedback

from here if enough people complain about this issue they will make a software update or some sort of fix for it....so everyone PLEASEEEEE do this haha.
sla252 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:06 PM   #13
Heisler98
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla252 View Post
Same here. All you need to do to start an iMessage group chat is add the phone #'s and/or email addresses of the people you want to include, and they're in. It's very frustrating however when your phone keeps going off every 30 seconds from the members of the group chatting. As of now there is no way to remove yourself from a group chat, unless the person who started it ends it and starts a new one over without including you....still on the phone with apple regarding this issue....I will be sure to keep you all updated
Like sla252 said, it's not technically a GROUP. Someone is just sending messages to you and a bunch of other people. It WOULD be smart to be able to ban people from sending you messages though.
__________________
Mid-2010 MBP 13.3", 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM | iPad 32 GB | iPod 4G 8 GB | 6 iMac G4s and G3s | iPad 2 Wi-Fi 32 GB | iPad 3 Wi-Fi 32 GB | iPhone 4S 32 GB
Heisler98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:13 PM   #14
shanezam203
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to shanezam203
Quote:
Originally Posted by sla252 View Post
Just got off the phone with apple tech support. They admitted there is no way to remove yourself from an iMessage group chat. The tech guy says the best thing we can do is go to www.apple.com/feedback

from here if enough people complain about this issue they will make a software update or some sort of fix for it....so everyone PLEASEEEEE do this haha.
that alone makes me hesitant to join the group chat till that is resolved.
shanezam203 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 09:18 PM   #15
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What about going into Settings --> Messages --> Group Messaging and turning it off. Mine is off and I don't have any of those annoying group message conversations going on.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:25 PM   #16
Diode
macrumors 68020
 
Diode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Washington DC
Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What about going into Settings --> Messages --> Group Messaging and turning it off. Mine is off and I don't have any of those annoying group message conversations going on.
I think with it off you'll get individual text messages from the person instead of it showing in the group.
__________________
16GB iPhone 4; 2.4 GHZ C2D iMac 4GB Ram; 32GB iPad2; AppleTV2
Diode is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:29 AM   #17
kappaknight
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanezam203 View Post
that alone makes me hesitant to join the group chat till that is resolved.
You don't join group chats; you get pulled in.
kappaknight is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:42 AM   #18
Grayburn
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London/Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What about going into Settings --> Messages --> Group Messaging and turning it off. Mine is off and I don't have any of those annoying group message conversations going on.
Hhhmm dont have that option in that path on the iPhone 4
__________________
iPhne 5S 64GB
Follow me on Twitter
Grayburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:22 AM   #19
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayburn View Post
Hhhmm dont have that option in that path on the iPhone 4
Under Settings, you don't have this?

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
__________________

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Nov 16, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
SandboxGeneral is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:19 AM   #20
nomad01
macrumors 68000
 
nomad01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Birmingham, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Under Settings, you don't have this?

Thumb resize.
I have all that but don't have the group messaging option.
__________________
11" Macbook Air, Mac Mini, eMac, White Macbook, iPad 2, iPhone 4s
http://www.bake-shop.co.uk
nomad01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:26 AM   #21
SandboxGeneral
Moderator
 
SandboxGeneral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Great Lakes State
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad01 View Post
I have all that but don't have the group messaging option.
Hmmm.... Maybe its a US option and not available in the UK. I see that you and Grayburn are from England.
__________________
SandboxGeneral is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:33 AM   #22
diamond.g
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
I didn't think that setting had any bearing on iMessage conversations?
diamond.g is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:37 AM   #23
urkel
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
I got into text messaging very early so I was trained to write bigger blocks of text since we used to get charged per message. But newer users have that IM mentality where every single emoticon or thought gets its own text and it makes group messaging a nightmare. My sister-in-law would send a picture of her kid and then I'd get machine gun alerts from all her friends:

"LOL"
"Thats so col"
"I meean COOL, LOL"
"Funny. LOL"
""
"OMG"
"Do I know you?"
"Im not talking to you, Im responding to Jenny"
"Then why am I getting the texts. "


And it wouldnt stop until they lose interest a few hours later. I really hope Apple realizes this is an issue for some people and they implement a way to unsubscribe from certain group messages without forcing you to unsubscribe from iMessage completely because group discussion is still important with some business discussions.
urkel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:56 PM   #24
Roxanna1029
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I know, this is extremley annoying! I own an iPod 4th Generation, and my friends keep making these annoying group chats. They for some reason feel the need to say hi every 10 minutes and my iPod is CONSTANTLY going off! Even worse, they include me in MULTIPLE group chats! So every like 5 minutes, I get texts like this:

"Hi"
"Hey"
"Whats up"
"Not much, u?"
"Hey guys"
"Hey. Whats up?"
"Im sick"
"Aw that sucks"
"guys look outside theres a rainbow"

Me: URGH!

Apple, please give us the option to get out of group chats! Once we are dragged in, we can't get out!!!
Roxanna1029 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:49 PM   #25
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Here's a link to instructions on how to leave a group chat. I haven't tried them.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 5 and earlier

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Someone please tell me there is a way to leave Group Chat Leet Apple iPhone 21 Mar 3, 2014 11:55 AM
iMessage, Group Chat... Can't Download MMS? Fanaticalism Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Dec 19, 2013 09:17 AM
iMessage Lag issue with Group Chat (iPhone 5) M-5 iPhone 0 Apr 4, 2013 04:59 PM
iMessage group chat. Am I right? Macs4u Mac Basics and Help 3 Feb 2, 2013 08:38 PM
imessage leaving group chat ? InfinitiG iOS 6 1 Sep 3, 2012 02:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC