Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Article here:

These frameworks and plugins that work together to build Siri are not included on other iOS builds besides the ones running on the iPhone 4S. Therefore, these files must be copied from a running iPhone 4S, or from the iPhone 4S’s firmware (.ipsw) file. The first method requires you to own an iPhone 4S to copy the files from, so it is not useful for most people: if you already own an iPhone 4S, you already have Siri. The issue with the second method is more technical: the firmware files are distributed encrypted, and we do not yet have the decryption key to access the Siri files inside of the iPhone 4S firmware file.

On the bright side... it sounds like they think they will eventually be able to decrypt the firmware files so everyone has access to the necessary Siri resources.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You mean so anyone can steal software huh.... Your mom must be very proud of you.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
I think, even if they managed to do it which is highly likely. Millions of more iPhone users accessing the Siri servers won't go down well with Apple. They will find a way of blocking these new requests.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
I think, even if they managed to do it which is highly likely. Millions of more iPhone users accessing the Siri servers won't go down well with Apple. They will find a way of blocking these new requests.

I'm hoping Apple is using the iPhone 4S to basically control traffic and beta test for a release to the iPhone 4 and maybe 3GS.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The entire point is so that it is legal. They are trying to avoid copyright infringement.

It's clearly not legal in any way shape or form. I hope Apple prosecutes to the full extent of the law.

I continue to be amazed that these forums allow and even seem to encourage blatant piracy discussions. It would not surprise me to see Mac Rumors named in a legal prodeecong as well.

superdudeo

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2010
I'm hoping Apple is using the iPhone 4S to basically control traffic and beta test for a release to the iPhone 4 and maybe 3GS.

I think that is wishful thinking. They need a hook for people to upgrade to the 4s. No way they are releasing for the 4 or 3GS.

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
It's clearly not legal in any way shape or form. I hope Apple prosecutes to the full extent of the law.

I continue to be amazed that these forums allow and even seem to encourage blatant piracy discussions. It would not surprise me to see Mac Rumors named in a legal prodeecong as well.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Slurrrrrrrrrrrppppp!

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008

u mad bro?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Mad because people are stealing software? Yes.

As someone who makes a living writing software, it makes me angry to see people who think that stealing others work is acceptable.

TeflonFong

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Regarding legality, is there any difference between Siri and FaceTime as far as licensing/software goes? There seems to be a parallel with how FaceTime was the hyped feature to upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 and how Siri is the hyped feature to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S.

Was FaceIt on Cydia via iPhoneIslam illegal? Or was it packaged/made/produced originally without "pirating" Apple's software? It utilized the rear camera of the 3GS for FaceTime calls, so maybe there is an inherent difference between that situation and the Siri situation.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Regarding legality, is there any difference between Siri and FaceTime as far as licensing/software goes? There seems to be a parallel with how FaceTime was the hyped feature to upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 and how Siri is the hyped feature to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S.

Was FaceIt on Cydia via iPhoneIslam illegal? Or was it packaged/made/produced originally without "pirating" Apple's software? It utilized the rear camera of the 3GS for FaceTime calls, so maybe there is an inherent difference between that situation and the Siri situation.

3GS to 4 was not Facetime itself but the front facing camera (without it Facetime is pretty much useless)

and yes FaceIt was different, facetime code was indeed on iOS no matter what phone you had, the UI part was hidden for all phones but the 4. Siri code is actually not on iOS, it is only part of the 4S build, so stripping it would be illegal, however that is not really the main issue, that code can (and actually already had been by another team) be re wrote to avoid that, the issue is the Authentication Key that is require to talk to apple server, that is what they are extracting from the 4S and what is the most problematic since it cannot be duplicated (yet)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
That's cool, I am ordering my 4S tomorrow. A month early, our daughter tried to eat my wifes 3G too many times and the massive amounts of saliva have started making it crap out.

So my wife gets my iPhone 4 and I get the 4S.

Show me how to get the files from the 4s to the 4 and my wife can talk to her phone too.

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
thewitt It's clearly not legal in any way shape or form. I hope Apple prosecutes to the full extent of the law. I continue to be amazed that these forums allow and even seem to encourage blatant piracy discussions. It would not surprise me to see Mac Rumors named in a legal prodeecong as well.[/QUOTE said:
Lol You Mad..........

money.gif

TeflonFong

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
3GS to 4 was not Facetime itself but the front facing camera (without it Facetime is pretty much useless)

and yes FaceIt was different, facetime code was indeed on iOS no matter what phone you had, the UI part was hidden for all phones but the 4. Siri code is actually not on iOS, it is only part of the 4S build, so stripping it would be illegal, however that is not really the main issue, that code can (and actually already had been by another team) be re wrote to avoid that, the issue is the Authentication Key that is require to talk to apple server, that is what they are extracting from the 4S and what is the most problematic since it cannot be duplicated (yet)

Thanks for the thorough explanation!

Steagles

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Mad because people are stealing software? Yes.

As someone who makes a living writing software, it makes me angry to see people who think that stealing others work is acceptable.

The point is no one is trying to steal ****. They are trying to port an exclusive program to another device for all of us who aren't rich enough to buy the new iPhone every year. Personally, I am very lucky to have one at all. No one is selling anything, and no one intends to. That is why the jailbreaks are always free.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

The fact that Apple could have ported this to other devices. Bit having a program the meaning of life and it tells you 42. However it's still the most desired feature Of the 4S says allot.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Oh no! prodeecongs have shut down many websites :eek:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Even though they're avoiding sharing IP protected files I still don't think this is particularly ethical. Purchasing Siri and running it's servers costs Apple money, 4S' users have payed for that privilege and no other iOS device users have.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I bet, I haven't really watched his post....He does that a lot?

In the main iphone section and many threads here he posts wrong information and then insists that he's correct.
Not sure if he's one of those knowitalls that think they know what they're talking about and when you correct them they get mad or if he does it on purpose to mislead people and then he sits there and gets enjoyment out of it.
I dont know, many people are weird like that:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.