Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It should be mentioned that this is from @chpwn on twitter not the thread starter. To prevent confusion and give credit where credit is do.

Below from Chpwn also there is at least one other main team working on Siri.

These frameworks and plugins that work together to build Siri are not included on other iOS builds besides the ones running on the iPhone 4S. Therefore, these files must be copied from a running iPhone 4S, or from the iPhone 4S’s firmware (.ipsw) file. The first method requires you to own an iPhone 4S to copy the files from, so it is not useful for most people: if you already own an iPhone 4S, you already have Siri. The issue with the second method is more technical: the firmware files are distributed encrypted, and we do not yet have the decryption key to access the Siri files inside of the iPhone 4S firmware file.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Purchasing Siri and running it's servers costs Apple money, 4S' users have payed for that privilege and no other iOS device users have.

Though I would love to have Siri on my i4, I agree with this.

Apple would never allow additional i4 to get on the Siri bandwagon because that would mean increase in servers' load and running cost etc etc...

let's all just accept that to have Siri is to move on to i4S...any older devices are just not in Apple's masterplan anymore...

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple would never allow additional i4 to get on the Siri bandwagon because that would mean increase in servers' load and running cost etc etc...

I know right,...just like Apple would never make a Mobile Phone... or like Apple will never make a phone with shims on the borders, or just like Apple would never release a CDMA iPhone... or how the iP5 would not be another 3GS... or... you get the picture by now

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The point is no one is trying to steal ****. They are trying to port an exclusive program to another device for all of us who aren't rich enough to buy the new iPhone every year. Personally, I am very lucky to have one at all. No one is selling anything, and no one intends to. That is why the jailbreaks are always free.

Did you buy it from Apple, because it's their product and they sell it.

No? You intend to get it free from another source.

That is stealing, regardless if the thief makes any money on it or not.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It will always be a piracy type of practice, because it requires "stealing" iOS programs and inserting it into another version. You won't see an official download, maybe just methods posted, so that users can "port" it on it's own.

It won't take long for Apple to determine a way to have the Siri server validate the hardware every now and then, and if it's invalid, blacklist the IMEI or phone number, ect.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
The point is no one is trying to steal ****. They are trying to port an exclusive program to another device for all of us who aren't rich enough to buy the new iPhone every year. Personally, I am very lucky to have one at all. No one is selling anything, and no one intends to. That is why the jailbreaks are always free.

So because you aren't "rich enough" you think it's cool to take a product/service? So if you stole a candy bar from a gas station, and didnt sell it, but ate it yourself, it's not stolen? WTF world am i living in? The rationalization people have is astounding.

When I used Installous, i knew what it was...straight up theft. Admit to yourself, its liberating to be honest to one's self.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Did you buy it from Apple, because it's their product and they sell it.

No? You intend to get it free from another source.

That is stealing, regardless if the thief makes any money on it or not.

I'm backing you up on this one.

Jailbreak apps are made by developers. It is THEIR intellectual property to sell or give away for free at their own discretion. Most of their content is free and available on many devices because they make it that way.

You, are trying to take Apple's intellectual property (Siri), and put it on a device that is unauthorized. So yes, you ARE stealing and what you are doing IS illegal, not just "against what Apple wants".

iNipponRyan97

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
New York, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well, since MuscleNerd jailbroke his iPhone 4S, why can't Stephen and chpwn ask MuscleNerd for the files and the keys and then replicate and legally redistrubute it, then everyone can have Siri and it can be easier. They obviously know him, especially chpwn. Whether the jailbreak was preliminary or not it must of got the keys, as that's simple. Why not?! There must be a reason! It's so simple to do this and they know the files they need, not the keys and encryption unless the 4S is jailbroken.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
What don't you get. No one other than Apple can legally distribute Apple developed software. How is that a concept you don't understand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.