Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
New York
Hey guys,

I mistakenly dropped my iPhone 4 on 10/22 and my screen cracked. I was luckily under AT&T insurance and call it in right away. After sending in the required paperwork, I received a refurbished 32GB iPhone 4 from AT&T/Asurion about two business days later.

Almost immediately after turning on the phone, I noticed it was restarting in an infinite loop (no pun intended). I then tried restarting the phone myself and was stuck with a phone that would not turn on but constantly vibrating. Due to the length of the iPhone battery, I had a black screen vibrating phone for almost 6 hours.

I was furious that I paid a $199 deductible for a defective replacement phone and immediately called both AT&T and Asurion. After waiting an additional three days to send another replacement phone, I was pleasantly surprised today to see that the phone was not only brand new and sealed but an iPhone 4s!

Long story short, AT&T and Asurion pulled through and I'm happy with my new arrival. Anyone else experience anything similar when receiving a replacement phone???

bigtrip

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Back in the day, I received a brand new blackberry bold 9000 as a replacement for a broken Palm Treo through asurion. I thought I made out pretty good! I had to jump through some serious flaming hoops to do it though.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Asurion replacements suck. I've NEVER gotten a good one. I haven't used them for years, and never will again.

When I did use Asurion I was with Verizon. Asurion would send me a bum phone, then I'd take it to a Verizon store where the manager had the authority to replace it with a new one from stock. Verizon store managers are all well-aware of how badly Asurion replacements suck, and so they have the authority to retain customers by providing a replacement.

I don't know why you wouldn't go with an independent insurer, such as Safeware or SquareTrade. Cheaper and better. Squaretrade doesn't cover theft, Safeware does, take your choice.

macbookman83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2011
New York
Asurion replacements suck. I've NEVER gotten a good one. I haven't used them for years, and never will again.

When I did use Asurion I was with Verizon. Asurion would send me a bum phone, then I'd take it to a Verizon store where the manager had the authority to replace it with a new one from stock. Verizon store managers are all well-aware of how badly Asurion replacements suck, and so they have the authority to retain customers by providing a replacement.

I don't know why you wouldn't go with an independent insurer, such as Safeware or SquareTrade. Cheaper and better. Squaretrade doesn't cover theft, Safeware does, take your choice.

They have been fairly decent to me.... Last year I lost my iPhone and received a brand new unit. I noticed online most of the bad reviews were related to Verizon customers..... I'm on AT&T although I don't think it should make a difference if your paying either way.

Also I live in NYC and Squaretrade doesn't cover theft, and Safeware isn't in my coverage area.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.