Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
are there any improvements in behavior as file server SMB with Windows 7 on the network ?
What SMB version is included ?

currently have 10.6.8 server and occasional hiccups with file permissions still with 10 PC running Windows 7.

if 10.7 is more reliable, would upgrade. share your experience/thoughts.

mainstay

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2011
BC
Without additional information on what other roles your server is running it is hard to give a recommendation to upgrade.

Apple has replaced SAMBA with their own proprietary internally-developed code, called SMBX, apparently largely due to not being able to comply with the SAMBA project's open-source licensing requirements.

OS X Lion does not support logging into NAS boxes running Samba or AFP servers that employ the DHCAST128 (claimed as a security risk). So this has caused NEW issues for networks with certain NAS's.

I would prefer to work with the devil you know and keep SL.

I haven't had issues with Windows systems accessing Lion, to be fair.

But then again, Windows computers access my SL servers perfectly fine too. I have had some minor permission errors on rare occasions but can they can be fixed with BatChmod.

Long answer to say: I wouldn't "upgrade".

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
the server is a simple file server with SMB service running with numerous volumes mostly for word documents with different user rights.

that's really all i want from it. yes, i still occasionally experience permission error when PC opes word document and when tries to save i get permission error - needs to be saved as new file.

is there a definite cure for this symptoms ? it happens rarely, but still.
what BatChmod does ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.