Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:48 AM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
I quit smoking 3 weeks ago. Some tips.

Hey guys, i'm proud to say i've been a non-smoker for 3 weeks tomorrow. It's so liberating and empowering, i feel like i can do anything now. Here are some tips that really helped me out.

1) Quit on a Sunday night after a weekend of heavy drinking and smoking.
2) Have you last cigarette before bed that night, and make sure it's the last one in the pack, so you don't have anymore.
3) Monday morning is a new day, new week, and you don't have any cigarettes. Now is your big chance. Jolly ranchers helped me beat the craving, the first few days were the most brutal. Oh, and chocolate, LOTS of chocolate.
4) Reward yourself. When you hit one month, buy yourself something. I'm treating myself to another tattoo next week. With all the money you're saving, you deserve it!

Now whenever i have a craving, i beat it just by thinking i've been smoke free for 3 weeks and it would be stupid to ruin it now. I've also trained my mind to associate cigarettes with poison instead of pleasure. You might gain a bit of weight if you don't go to the gym, but damn, it's so worth it.
likemyorbs is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
AnimaLeo
macrumors 6502

Congrats man. Keep up the good work!
AnimaLeo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Daffodil
macrumors 6502

Congratulations, likemyorbs! Like you say yourself, it's so worth it, so best of luck.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4
likemyorbs
Banned

Thank you guys! It's an uphill battle but it's definitely possible. People have to do it when they are ready. I had two failed attempts before this when i couldn't make it past 3 days. This time i just had a gut feeling that this was my time to quit.
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Huntn
macrumors 604

Good job, keep it up! I've never had to quit smoking. However, I watched my Dad spend a good 30 years trying to quit. I imagine working out would help or go on a run? They also say changing habit patterns is good. If you typically sit down in the morning in your kitchen to read a paper, drink a cup of coffee, and smoke a cancer stick, your brain is going to be constantly asking you were the nicotine is. Supposedly it's best to do something different. Go to a different room! Chew on a carrot instead of a cig. The challenge will be the next time you find yourself in a stressful situation.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:11 PM   #6
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
Thank you guys! It's an uphill battle but it's definitely possible. People have to do it when they are ready. I had two failed attempts before this when i couldn't make it past 3 days. This time i just had a gut feeling that this was my time to quit.
I quit in January with e-cigs. It's worked very well.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:14 PM   #7
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Good job, keep it up! I've never had to quit smoking. However, I watched my Dad spend a good 30 years trying to quit. I imagine working out would help or go on a run? They also say changing habit patterns is good. If you typically sit down in the morning in your kitchen to read a paper, drink a cup of coffee, and smoke a cancer stick, your brain is going to be constantly asking you were the nicotine is. Supposedly it's best to do something different. Go to a different room! Chew on a carrot instead of a cig. The challenge will be the next time you find yourself in a stressful situation.
Going to the gym actually makes my cravings worse, but i do it anyway. After a hard workout, a cigarette is the most relaxing thing ever. And when i find myself in a stressful situation, i'll just smoke some pot instead, i've already thought this through! That's another tip that ill have to add to the OP, planning what you will do in a stressful situation. Food seems to work for me.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
I quit in January with e-cigs. It's worked very well.
Congrats! You know, i used my ecig the first two times i tried to quit, and it didn't work for me because it wasn't similar enough to a real cigarette, so i went back to the real thing. I find that cold turkey is working best for me. Quitting is a very personal thing and different things work for different people.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Caliber26
macrumors 65816

It's so strange for me to hear these stories. I've been an on-again-off-again smoker since I was 17 (I'm 30 years old now) but I've always been able to stop without a problem.

I'll smoke for 3-5 months and stop for 6-7 months and do it all over again. I usually start smoking if I'm in one of those phases where I'm constantly going out to bars and clubs, but when I'm not, it doesn't even cross my mind. I think it's more of a social thing for me, versus an actual addiction.

Congrats on your decision, though. My only piece of advice is to avoid being around people that are smoking. We're prone to want one when we see others 'enjoying' one. Going out on smoke breaks with coworkers is a huge no-no for me as it will make me wanna spark one up, too. Hope you keep up the good work!
Caliber26 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 01:58 PM   #9
BeardedOrc
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

One day at a time ...

It's a constant ongoing battle everyday and craving will not stop. The craving does gets less and your self control gets stronger.

I'm a former pack/day for about 15 yrs. Haven't lit up for 2 years now.

Congratulations!!!
BeardedOrc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:25 PM   #10
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Congrats! You know, i used my ecig the first two times i tried to quit, and it didn't work for me because it wasn't similar enough to a real cigarette, so i went back to the real thing. I find that cold turkey is working best for me. Quitting is a very personal thing and different things work for different people.
There are different kinds of e-cigs. I just had to try a few before I found the one that worked best for me.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:50 PM   #11
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedOrc View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

One day at a time ...

It's a constant ongoing battle everyday and craving will not stop. The craving does gets less and your self control gets stronger.

I'm a former pack/day for about 15 yrs. Haven't lit up for 2 years now.

Congratulations!!!
Wow that's awesome! did you go cold turkey? I never smoked THAT much. I smoked a pack every 2 or 3 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post
There are different kinds of e-cigs. I just had to try a few before I found the one that worked best for me.
Yeah i know there are different ones, but none are like the real thing. Vapor and smoke are just two very different things.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:56 PM   #12
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Yeah i know there are different ones, but none are like the real thing. Vapor and smoke are just two very different things.
Agreed. It took an adjustment, but now I find regular cigarettes to be gross.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:24 PM   #13
BeardedOrc
macrumors member

Quote:
Wow that's awesome! did you go cold turkey? I never smoked THAT much. I smoked a pack every 2 or 3 days.
Went as much as 3 packs/day for a few months when I was in college.

I've tried numerous times and this by far is the longest. Hopefully, this is it. I've tried the patch, nicotine gum, Wellbutrin (anti-depressant which also is prescribed as smoking cessation aid). What worked best for me was Wellbutrin for about a week and cold turkey.

Never let down your guard and NEVER have that "just one stick only" celebratory or whatever your brain has concocted that you deserve one. Thats is how I've ended back to smoking before.

I remember that first hell of a week of quitting. Never want to go through that again...

Goodluck!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber26 View Post
It's so strange for me to hear these stories. I've been an on-again-off-again smoker since I was 17 (I'm 30 years old now) but I've always been able to stop without a problem.

I'll smoke for 3-5 months and stop for 6-7 months and do it all over again. I usually start smoking if I'm in one of those phases where I'm constantly going out to bars and clubs, but when I'm not, it doesn't even cross my mind. I think it's more of a social thing for me, versus an actual addiction.

Congrats on your decision, though. My only piece of advice is to avoid being around people that are smoking. We're prone to want one when we see others 'enjoying' one. Going out on smoke breaks with coworkers is a huge no-no for me as it will make me wanna spark one up, too. Hope you keep up the good work!
I have a friend like you. He could smoke pack a day for several months and stop for several months whenever he wanted. I guess you guys are resistant to chemical and/or psychological addiction.
BeardedOrc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Smoke free for over a year now. Gummy worms are/were my savior. My dentist doesn't like them but cavities are more treatable than cancer. Good luck!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:51 PM   #15
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilpots View Post
Gummy worms are/were my Savior.
How did you manage to keep them lite???
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:52 PM   #16
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

I quit cold turkey over 20 years ago. I wish it was that easy to kick a food addiction.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Tilpots
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJohnHenry View Post
How did you manage to keep them lite???
I'm either too dense to get the joke or I have no idea what you're talking about?

Edit: Lit? Now that's funny. Do I get to facepalm myself?

Last edited by Tilpots; Nov 12, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Tilpots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 05:40 AM   #18
likemyorbs
Banned

Update:
Still haven't touched a cigarette! And I dont miss them. Guess I'm one of those lucky people that was able to quit cold turkey without side effects. Looks like I'm done for good.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:31 AM   #19
imotionb18
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to imotionb18
Quote:
Update:
Still haven't touched a cigarette! And I dont miss them. Guess I'm one of those lucky people that was able to quit cold turkey without side effects. Looks like I'm done for good.
Congrats! I just hit my three week mark today! That first week was brutal, but I managed to get through it.
imotionb18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:55 AM   #20
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good job! Keep it up!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:46 AM   #21
likemyorbs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imotionb18 View Post
Congrats! I just hit my three week mark today! That first week was brutal, but I managed to get through it.
Yeah the first week was the worst. Once you get past that hurdle, you're golden.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:49 AM   #22
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I need to do this with my energy drink addiction
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:01 AM   #23
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Congrats to all of you who are quitting. A friend of mine who quit after 15 years said the the thing that did the trick for him was cutting a straw down to the size of a cigarette and having one with him all the time. He could chew on it or simply fidget with it in his hand. He said it took care of that habitual physical stimulation and sensation that his body was used to getting from smoking and holding a cigarette. Over time he was gradually able to stop using the straws as his "sobriety" maintained. However, he says even after years of not smoking he still gets cravings.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:20 AM   #24
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 65816

Quit 4yrs ago. Biggest piece of advise I can give is cut out the triggers that you found yourself smoking after. Most smoke more when they drink, I quit in August 2007 and didn't touch a drink until the Christmas party in Dec. Find those few things that always had you reaching for a cigarette and try and eliminate them.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 05:05 PM   #25
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerGT2.5 View Post
Find those few things that always had you reaching for a cigarette and try and eliminate them.
What, give up sex???
iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion