Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mac_lineup_nov11.jpg

AppleInsider reports on a new research note from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster sharing data on U.S. Mac sales for the month of October from NPD. According to NPD's data, Apple's October Mac sales were up 19% year-over-year, putting the company on target to reach analyst estimates in the range of 5.1-5.3 million units for the full quarter.
Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray shared the latest domestic sales data from the NPD Group on Monday, which showed Mac sales up 19 percent year over year in the month of October. As sales continue to pick up leading up to Christmas, he sees Apple selling between 5.1 million and 5.3 million Macs during the December quarter.

Those numbers would represent year over year growth of between 23 percent and 28 percent. Consensus on Wall Street has called for Apple to report sales of about 5.2 million Macs during the quarter.
Apple last quarter reported sales of 4.89 million Macs, by far a company record. The company also guided toward record revenue and earnings for the current quarter, spurring analysts to push their Mac estimates to over 5 million.

As for the iPod, NPD reports that U.S. unit shipments are down about 18% year-over-year as consumers continue to shift away from dedicated music players and instead utilize smartphones for their portable music needs. But even that 18% decline appears to be smaller than anticipated, with analysts currently predicting a 20% drop for the full quarter. Based on the data, Munster suggests that Apple is on pace to sell approximately 16 million iPods in what is easily the company's biggest-selling quarter for the iPod each year.

Article Link: Apple's October Mac Sales Lining Up for Record 5 Million+ Units in Quarter

iOrlando

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
oh yeah, Apple still sells Macs...I tend to forget with all the iPhone and iPad focus.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
These Mac sales have to be coming at the expense of some other Windows computers...and this don't even count the Windows sales losses to the iPads. Apple is eating a whole lot of other company's lunches!

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
What's different about Mac sales

Keep in mind that a Mac sale is different from a Wintel sale. Wintels are interchangeable within the Windows ecosystem. 50%+ of Macs are sold to people who've never used a Mac before, and every one of those new-to-the-Mac people are switching ecosystems. And once people are in the Mac ecosystem, they are unlikely to switch again any time soon. The iPhone/iPad/iPod halo effect contributes greatly to the ecosystem lock-in effect.

So these sales numbers should really be frightening to Microsoft and their beleaguered "partners" (low-margin hardware OEMs).

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
So, ARM makes the low(er) power 7 which could with a few other components, like GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0, and touchscreen, uprate the iPod Nano to more profitable niche below the Touch.

Don't know if it is worth doing, but if the nano can keep generating profits, why not.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The MBP 13" is heavier and has lower resolution than the Vaio SA, so no sale.

Plus, you can't get Blu Ray on the Mac.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

Haha, right on, dude! And don't forget, the MBP doesn't have a 3-D display, a chrome roll bar, or a floppy drive. APPLE FAIL! SONY RULZ! LOLOLOLOLOL

Fainer

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
All I care about in this is when will the iMac be updated? I just got the "ok" to get one, but it looks like it might not be to far from a refresh and I dont want to get one a few weeks before that happens!

But I really, really want one now......

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008

I'm holding off my next Mac purchase because I'm waiting for Apple to drop the SuperDrive from the MBP.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Amazing how many people I bump into who still ask, "Does the Mac run Microsoft Office?" *lol/groan*

We had it first people, and its respective applications even earlier.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Nonstandard prohibitively expensive storage.

See, I have resolved to only buy SSD boot-drive computers from now on. That's a new standard I've set for myself.

You, on the other hand, have resolved to buy the cheapest thing you can no matter what the sacrifice.

So, yeah. Apple doesn't make a computer for someone with your priorities. They're not interested in that. This isn't news.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
See, I have resolved to only buy SSD boot-drive computers from now on. That's a new standard I've set for myself.

You, on the other hand, have resolved to buy the cheapest thing you can no matter what the sacrifice.

So, yeah. Apple doesn't make a computer for someone with your priorities. They're not interested in that. This isn't news.

A 480GB SSD for the MBA costs about double than a 2.5" SSD of the same size.
That is not being cheap, that is being reasonable.

The Aspire S3 gets it right.

----------

Blue Ray? Stream HD Baby. Disks are dying. :apple:

Disc is far from dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.