Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Hi, just spent an hour with Apple, then got disconnected. Is there an easy way to make the MBA remember usernames and passwords for sites that are commonly used. This maybe an area where windows is better. After awhile, my old pc just remembers them,gots to be an easier way than an hour on the phone, thanks.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
You are talking about the browser, this is independent of the OS.

Assuming you are using Safari...

Safari > Preferences > Autofill > Checkmark Username and Passwords.

Firefox and Chrome have the same options. You can google how to set them up.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Hi, I appreciate the replies, will try them. I am no computer wiz etc, but I seem to be able to point out GLARING faults in design, before I found Mac. I always said to people...."computers are arcaic, churning butter is more advanced"

We sent men to the moon in good old 1969, Here in 2011, it can take 6 yrs from next tuesday, to do a simple task on a computer..

I like Mac and their direction, but it should be this.

Remember username and password...."click" done.

I wish I could design software....damn

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I like Mac and their direction, but it should be this.
Remember username and password...."click" done.
It doesn't get much simpler than this:
ScreenCap 1.PNG

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Ok, going to safari, preferences, auto fill worked, thanks, but my question is, why didn't the apple rep, so knowing of the MBA didn't direct me to this simple task? he had me going in like a gaggle of different directions, all the while I am saying to myself, there has got to be an easier way. Seems like you guys know more than the Apple people. I am new to the world of Mac all of 3 weeks, so still learning.

When I was using my PCs, I would say to myself, this is stupid, that makes no sense, why does it do that etc. I guess my frustration is with computer programming design, they assume, because they know what the next step is, we should too. It reminds me of Andy Rooneys' piece on 60 minutes (may he RIP) about Bill Gates and Microsoft.

He said "when I want to turn on my computer I press start, ok, when I want to turn off my computer....I press start? again...where the hell is STOP "

His point, was spot on, start to turn on, start to turn off ? WTF is that.
Anyway, just ranting, thanks for the help.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, going to safari, preferences, auto fill worked, thanks, but my question is, why didn't the apple rep, so knowing of the MBA didn't direct me to this simple task?
Remember that "Genius" is only their job title, and not an indication of their intelligence, knowledge or experience. As with any job, there are those who are new on the job, those who excel at it, those who don't, and those who don't care.
Seems like you guys know more than the Apple people.
That is often the case. That's why this forum is such a valuable source of information. You'll find if you search the forum, you'll find that almost any question you have has already been asked and answered dozens or hundreds of times. To search the forum effectively, just do a Google search and add this to your search terms:
site:forums.macrumors.com​
Also be sure to check the dates on posts, as some threads may be several years old and contain outdated information. Good luck!

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
Remember that "Genius" is only their job title, and not an indication of their intelligence, knowledge or experience. As with any job, there are those who are new on the job, those who excel at it, those who don't, and those who don't care.

That is often the case. That's why this forum is such a valuable source of information. You'll find if you search the forum, you'll find that almost any question you have has already been asked and answered dozens or hundreds of times. To search the forum effectively, just do a Google search and add this to your search terms:
site:forums.macrumors.com​
Also be sure to check the dates on posts, as some threads may be several years old and contain outdated information. Good luck!

Helpful Information for Any Mac User
Thanks for the tips, yes, glad I found this forum

MBPDiva

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
on Orion's Belt
On my MBP I configured my keychain to ask for my password even if I had usernames and passwords checked in preferences. That was an extra added layer of security for me in case my MBP was stolen. My MBA did the same thing - until I did an update and now the keychain no longer asks for my password. It just autofills my usernames and passwords and let's me log into a secured page! :mad:

aph3x

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Reno, NV
I'd recommend something like LastPass honestly. It gives me granular control of what usernames and passwords are remembered and if I require the master pass before autofilling. It's free if you just want it on your Mac's and Windows PCs. LastPass isn't seamless but it does a pretty darn good job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.