Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

"VolumeSnap" Feature Returns to Camera+

VolumeSnap has returned to the excellent iOS photography app Camera+.

Last year, developer TapTapTap released an update to its Camera+ application with a small hack -- users could press the volume-up button to take a picture, instead of needing to press a soft-button on the screen.

This was considered an unauthorized hack and Apple banned the app until TapTapTap removed the feature. Apple then borrowed this innovation for iOS 5, and now users can press the Volume Up button to take pictures in the native iPhone camera app.

Camera+ for iPhone is available for $0.99 on the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: "VolumeSnap" Feature Returns to Camera+
MacRumors is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:55 PM   #2
jozero
macrumors member

Any app, if it uses the built in camera API, now inherits this feature as well.
jozero is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:58 PM   #3
yourstation
macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple did not 'borrow' this. It was clearly a planned feature hence Apple blocked it.
yourstation is offline   -19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:17 PM   #4
MattRK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstation View Post
Apple did not 'borrow' this. It was clearly a planned feature hence Apple blocked it.
Do you have any proof to this? How do you know that Camera+ didn't have this on their planned feature list before Apple?
MattRK is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Veinticinco
macrumors 6502a

If you can't beat them/think of it first, then block them citing DA violations regarding 'unauthorised' use of API. Then do a 180-degree U-turn once you've utilised the idea into you own OS.

Not Apple's finest hour this...
Veinticinco is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:24 PM   #6
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

There was a jailbreak for this long before Camera+ included it.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Veinticinco
macrumors 6502a

On update...

"Volume snap is back, beyotches!"

Veinticinco is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:27 PM   #8
gatearray
macrumors 65816

And by having the publicity from Apple removing the original Easter egg from this app, the developer has made MILLIONS of dollars that she wouldn't have without said publicity.
gatearray is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:38 PM   #9
TonyTheBean
macrumors newbie

I still call bullcrap on Apple...
TonyTheBean is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

iRonically I had two updates earlier: one for Camera+ and the other for Camera Genius. Both had one-line blurbs about the update.

Camera+: "Volume snap is back, beyotches!"

Camera Genius:"Removal of Volume Shot as requested by Apple."

Too funny!!!!

Michael
Tinmania is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:41 PM   #11
leroypants
In Time-Out

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

"Apple then borrowed this innovation for iOS 5"

A more accurate description would be "apple blatantly and outright stole this idea"
leroypants is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 06:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

VolumeSnap has returned to the excellent iOS photography app Camera+.

Last year, developer TapTapTap released an update to its Camera+ application with a small hack -- users could press the volume-up button to take a picture, instead of needing to press a soft-button on the screen.

This was considered an unauthorized hack and Apple banned the app until TapTapTap removed the feature. Apple then borrowed this innovation for iOS 5, and now users can press the Volume Up button to take pictures in the native iPhone camera app.

Camera+ for iPhone is available for $0.99 on the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: "VolumeSnap" Feature Returns to Camera+
Editorialize much? :roll eyes:

I wasn't aware Mr. Golson was allowed to speak for MR.
184550 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:10 PM   #13
coder12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
Editorialize much? :roll eyes:

I wasn't aware Mr. Golson was allowed to speak for MR.
Are you kidding me? Mr. Golson IS MR

</sarcasm>
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:19 PM   #14
JBunkers
macrumors member

Too bad it doesn't actually work...

Is there some trick or secret to activating this function, or is it an iOS 5 only feature? Because I downloaded the update and tried it. When I push the volume up button while in the Camera+ app all that happens is that my volume is turned up. I have iOS 4.2 on an iPhone 4, as I am waiting to upgrade to iOS 5 once they've got a couple of .x updates to it.
JBunkers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 07:37 PM   #15
BigDukeSix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBunkers View Post
Is there some trick or secret to activating this function, or is it an iOS 5 only feature? Because I downloaded the update and tried it. When I push the volume up button while in the Camera+ app all that happens is that my volume is turned up. I have iOS 4.2 on an iPhone 4, as I am waiting to upgrade to iOS 5 once they've got a couple of .x updates to it.
I am wondering the exact same thing! I hope it works on iOS 4. I already have the app and I like it, but not sure what I need to do. I did just download the upgrade, but still not quite sure what else I need to do.

Last edited by BigDukeSix; Nov 16, 2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added info
BigDukeSix is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:19 PM   #16
dasmb
macrumors regular

Man you guys don't know what you're missing. iOS 5 offers such significant API and core language benefits to developers that our company's basically closed the book on iOS 4 for good.

For example: this function, which is not legal under iOS 4 but is built in to 5.

Get yourselves in the future. Don't like it (you will), you can always restore.
dasmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:23 PM   #17
kuwxman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just an iOS 5 feature, it seems. I just tried taking a picture with the volume button (on a 4S, 5.0) and it worked with zero issues.
kuwxman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:33 PM   #18
BigDukeSix
macrumors 6502a

I am suspecting that they just made the app match what the existing iOS 5 apple camera app does.
BigDukeSix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:42 PM   #19
Bass Ackwards
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
iRonically I had two updates earlier: one for Camera+ and the other for Camera Genius. Both had one-line blurbs about the update.

Camera+: "Volume snap is back, beyotches!"

Camera Genius:"Removal of Volume Shot as requested by Apple."

Too funny!!!!

Michael
Yea, as a Camera Genius user I saw that update and just figured another one of those incomprehensible Apple decisions, now seeing Camera+ gets it though I'm wondering what gives? Hopefully it just has to do with the way Camera Genius was coding it and it'll come back.
Bass Ackwards is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:54 PM   #20
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDukeSix View Post
I am wondering the exact same thing! I hope it works on iOS 4. I already have the app and I like it, but not sure what I need to do. I did just download the upgrade, but still not quite sure what else I need to do.
Quote:
They are no longer using the 'hack' they had to do before to get it to work but the app did have to be updated to make use of the new API.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:51 PM   #21
AmpSkillz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
And by having the publicity from Apple removing the original Easter egg from this app, the developer has made MILLIONS of dollars that she wouldn't have without said publicity.
I doubt they made millions after the app was removed by Apple.. maybe from the original publicity of the feature.
AmpSkillz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:54 PM   #22
nagromme
macrumors G5

There are good reasons not to have this: the volume switch becomes only “sometimes” volume, and the tap-trigger jiggles the camera less (since it triggers on release and has no physical click). You can say that user confusion only matters on major issues, but the great iOS experience is actually a sum of many small choices, with pro-user motivations just like this policy (when it was in effect).

There are good reasons TO have this: people asked for it! Camera+ demonstrated/encouraged that request. A click feel is, after all, familiar (and doing it via the headphone remote is actually useful at times).

Did Apple block Camera+ so they could “steal” the idea (Evil Apple as always!) or did the developer agreement ALREADY forbid the use of the hardware buttons for non-standard purposes? Hint: the latter is true.

Then Apple changed that policy, because they LISTEN to people and flexible. This is but one of a constant stream of examples of how Apple adapts and improves. They are not fairytale tyrants, they are innovators seeking the best experience for us, and making great calls, and making bad calls, and fixing them.

However, because Apple is Always Evil™, they are both evil when they do NOT change a policy, and evil when they do

So, since we know they’re always evil in all cases, no matter what, and facts don’t matter... lets enjoy the change in both the native app and Camera+
nagromme is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:59 PM   #23
BigDukeSix
macrumors 6502a

I just want it to work on my iOS 4 phone so it is more ergonomic than trying to take a picture using the button on the screen.
BigDukeSix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:31 PM   #24
marty11
macrumors member

A nice synopsis of Apple's idea of innovation going forward.
marty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:34 PM   #25
JBunkers
macrumors member

Not so sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmb View Post
Man you guys don't know what you're missing. iOS 5 offers such significant API and core language benefits to developers that our company's basically closed the book on iOS 4 for good.

For example: this function, which is not legal under iOS 4 but is built in to 5.

Get yourselves in the future. Don't like it (you will), you can always restore.
Actually, from what I understand from information I've read online, once you upgrade your device to iOS 5, you CAN NOT go back to iOS 4. Can anyone else verify or discredit this particular information for us?
JBunkers is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion