Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
To be honest it does not look the best and I don't care about matching the style of the air as I will only use it from time to time at home to burn DVDs etc. So is there a better (and cheaper) choice made by someone else? If so what would I gain/lose by doing this?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm sure you can find cheaper

But I doubt you find one that looks better (these are really sharp looking)
Or one that is thinner (it isn't much bigger than a small stack of DVDs and fits in my portfolio)
Or necessarily better (this one has done all I have asked and more, much faster than I thought)

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
I'm sure you can find cheaper

But I doubt you find one that looks better (these are really sharp looking)
Or one that is thinner (it isn't much bigger than a small stack of DVDs and fits in my portfolio)
Or necessarily better (this one has done all I have asked and more, much faster than I thought)

You can build your own - they sell Apple Superdrive-esque chassis/cases on eBay and then you can add a DVD/Bluray slot drive into it.

I'd recommend getting a blu-ray drive these days as it gives your laptop more functionality and there is software to read/write to them and they're about £70

HellDiverUK

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Belfast, UK
I used (and still do) a cheap-off-eBay Blu-ray reader/DVD-RW combo thing. It was less than £40, Panasonic mechanism in a plastic box. Used it on my Macs, on my HP Microserver, and on my little Lenovo.

snowwhite007

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
Scotland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Xbox 360 hd drive tenner from gamestation

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.