Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Financial Times' Mobile Site Broadens Readership to Morning and Evening Hours

The Financial Times' web app has drawn more than 1 million readers since June, growing by 300,000 readers since late September. However, the raw numbers don't tell the whole story.

In its press release about breaking the 1 million mark, the FT staff built an infographic with data from its mobile website. 20 percent of FT page views are from mobile devices, and 15 percent of its digital consumer subscriptions initiate on mobile, showing that the paper is having good luck attracting readers to its pricey business-focused readership.

But most revealing is this chart showing the distribution of readership broken out by time-of-day and whether readers were using a smartphone, tablet, or reading on a desktop. As a financial paper, this data reflects the behavior of a higher-income, white-collar readership.

Smartphone and tablet readership spikes in the morning, then drops as readers use their desktops to keep up with the news during the day, then tablet use rises in the evening as users commute and arrive home.

Article Link: Financial Times' Mobile Site Broadens Readership to Morning and Evening Hours
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:03 PM   #2
incoherent1
macrumors member

The colors of the icons for smartphone and tablets are switched when you move from the icons to the graph. Presumably the dark red signifies smart phones in the graph (pink for tablet), although it's unclear given the confused icon colors.
incoherent1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:08 PM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Looks like people go on the website at work on their work desktops, and before & after work on their tablet or smartphone.
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:09 PM   #4
coder12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoherent1 View Post
The colors of the icons for smartphone and tablets are switched when you move from the icons to the graph. Presumably the dark red signifies smart phones in the graph (pink for tablet), although it's unclear given the confused icon colors.
No kidding.

Consistency. It's a good thing.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:12 PM   #5
BJB Productions
macrumors 6502a

I don't use this app, but I find this to be pretty true for me. Phone in the morning; not a lot of time, so just whip it out. Computer during day/work hours, and then snuggle up with the iPad later at night.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:23 AM   #6
spillproof
macrumors 68020

Very interesting. For me it is smartphone from 9am-6pm then all laptop until 1-2 am.

But I would like to know which color really goes with which device.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 05:45 AM   #7
eenuuk
macrumors regular

Wow, this makes the blog? Is this not common sense? I can't say those graphs,surprise me, if you'd ask me to draw you said graph that's what I'd have drawn, Mr Golson struggling for things to write.....
eenuuk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:39 AM   #8
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This shows smartsphones and tablets have replaced typical newspaper reading habits.
CFreymarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJB Productions View Post
I don't use this app, but I find this to be pretty true for me. Phone in the morning; not a lot of time, so just whip it out. Computer during day/work hours, and then snuggle up with the iPad later at night.
Same here in terms of usage pattern, but I still REFUSE to use the web thingie devised by FT - as a subscriber, it was ridiculous to see them run away from Apple's rules and an award-winning app just to keep control over reader information.

Besides, the web app DOES have disadvantages compared to the normal application.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:13 PM   #10
AmpSkillz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoherent1 View Post
Desktop and tablet also have text which is the same color as the icon but smartphone has the same color text as tablet, so they were not just switched.The tablet icon looks like a large version of their smartphone icon. They actually used a different tablet graphic above this graph in the original uncropped version of this infographic. (Original)

My guess is that they were in a hurry and simply enlarged the smartphone icon for the tablet icon and and meant to recolor one of them, but recolored the wrong one and forgot the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillproof View Post
I would like to know which color really goes with which device.
Assuming that coloring is the only mistake and that positioning on the graph is accurate, this is what it should look like.

Last edited by AmpSkillz; Nov 19, 2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added image
AmpSkillz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:57 PM   #11
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Looks like people go on the website at work on their work desktops, and before & after work on their tablet or smartphone.
This.
Add in people check the finance news before their day in their finance industry jobs. Pretty obvious this.
the8thark is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 08:10 PM   #12
BJB Productions
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post

Besides, the web app DOES have disadvantages compared to the normal application.

Yeah, I'm not a web app fan either.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:30 PM   #13
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Same here in terms of usage pattern, but I still REFUSE to use the web thingie devised by FT - as a subscriber, it was ridiculous to see them run away from Apple's rules and an award-winning app just to keep control over reader information.

What disadvantages are you finding?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:57 AM   #14
Jayomat
macrumors 6502a

uhm ... repost?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 05:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
What disadvantages are you finding?
Here is part of the feedback I sent them:

"My main gripes with this new approach are related to its dependence on another software (i.e., the iPad browser), as well as the relatively limited feature set, page layout and offline-reading capabilities when compared to the original, award-winning App. I must also emphasize that, in relying on the main browser framework (such as Safari for iPad), users may often face memory usage issues that could lead to frequent reloading of content, something which does not normally happen in self-contained Apps."
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:50 AM   #16
kjs862
macrumors 65816

The first thing I do in the morning is grab my iPhone and read macrumors, Facebook, and check my email. After I get up and say to myself, who needs a laptop?
kjs862 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:12 AM   #17
pepitko
macrumors member

That's exactly my type of usage. Reading the FT mobile app on the way to work, reading on desktop during the day and occasionally logging in via iPhone again in the evening when back home.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion