Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
I got my bill and I remember when checking out online it showed $263 in charges - $199 for the 4S - $43 in tax - and a $20 early upgrade charge...

I looked at Credit card bill and I paid $199 only - the email Verizon sent me said "In California sales tax is paid on the unsubsidized price of the phone - in your case the price is 0.00"

I got my bill and there is still no other charge than the $199 for the phone...

Was there a change in procedure?

----------

Sorry, should have been in the main page - if there is a moderator on duty - maybe move?

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
$199 iPhone and $43 California sales tax? Last week when I was shopping in one of the LA Apple Stores, the sales tax was 8.75%. Where exactly in California is the sales tax rate 23%?

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
In California the sales tax is based on the unsubsidized price of the phone - $649.00

It may have been more than $43 in tax - but the point was - I paid zero... very strange.

hwojtek

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Poznan, Poland
Maybe there is still some processing to do (your contract is terminated early), so the tax will be billed to your credit card later?

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
You know that's what I thought - but I looked at my records - it isn't on my current bill - and every time I purchased a phone previously - I was billed the full tax amount at the time of purchase...

Oh well, I just wondered if anyone else had this happen....

Is there anyone from California that only paid $199 when they bought their subsidized iPhone 4S online?

hbdude

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
You know that's what I thought - but I looked at my records - it isn't on my current bill - and every time I purchased a phone previously - I was billed the full tax amount at the time of purchase...

Oh well, I just wondered if anyone else had this happen....

Is there anyone from California that only paid $199 when they bought their subsidized iPhone 4S online?

I'm from Socal & have thought it very strange I haven't been charged sales tax on my 32g 4s...my CC was charged $299 & that's all I've paid to date.

I ordered online via AT&T whereas friends that ordered online via Apple store did pay CA sales tax.

My last upgrade in January '11, IP4 bought at Apple Store, i paid the full subsidized sales tax.

...not going to complain saving $60-$80!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.