Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest cool Kickstarter project that we've run across is one by Jason Giddings who promises to build a modern multi-touch keyboard and mouse. Multi-touch keyboards have been done before, but none that we've seen in recent years since the rise in popularity of the iPhone.

This project seeks to modernize the multi-touch keyboard with an attractive glass design:
Multi-Touch keyboards and mice are the next generation in computer peripherals. These elegant well made devices are composed of quality tempered glass, a solid metal base, and the finest components. They are designed using simple existing technology and have no moving parts. They have rechargeable Lithium Polymer batteries and are completely wireless. The tactile sounds and lighting can be turned on or off per the users' preference plus they are coffee and doughnut resistant!
The software might be the most difficult part in integrating into the OS, and is planned to be released as open source in order to give tinkerers the ability to continue to tweak the experience. The cost for one of these finished keyboards will be $250 or more, with $350 to get both the keyboard and mouse. The project requires $50,000 backing total for it to go forward.

Article Link: Glass Multitouch Keyboard and Mouse Seeking Kickstarter Investment

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
No tactile feedback? No thanks. Plus who has $350 to spend on a mouse and keyboard (or rather who wants to spend that much on them).

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
This actually seems like something I would really like, becaus I type on my iPad so much that a traditional keyboard makes me make more mistakes and take a little bit more time to type things. There just isn't enought resistance to my fingers. If the price was lower, this would be amazing. :)

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I prefer the standard apple keyboard where I can actually feel the button. Maybe if they kept it glass but raised the Keys up it would be effective. Either way cool idea, just questioning the practicality. (I have an iPad, but I use the Bluetooth keyboard for essays)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
The reason the touchscreen works on the iPad is you're looking at it. I sure as heck don't want to be looking at my full length keyboard when I'm typing.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I'm sure there is an app that you can just use your iPad as a keyboard, regardless i would never spend that much on a keyboard. On as side note it's not very good looking to me, instead of plastic alluminum, the corners could be a bit less round and have the angle/height of the glass be adjustable if possible. So that is my unwanted criticism, good day.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Can't see myself typing without physical feedback(try typing on a hard surface for a while and not feeling where your fingers are.. don't look down.) and unless this thing lets you change the complete layout to something else entirely different, all this is is a cool novelty/expensive keyboard.

Now if I could say program the so called keyboard to have custom designed shaped keys for different functions, that's a whole different story entirely. If this thing is like a see thru ipad screen but keyboard shaped and made of glass, I could see myself using it for different things, the functionality is limitless. But as one poster said, theres probably a keyboard app for the ipad, which is basically the same thing. Just be more useful in the shape of a keyboard I guess. Kind of like the L5 Remote App, but keyboard shaped and for computers.

Edit-

After reading the FAQ on the kickstarter page no, it's just a glass keyboard. Maybe able to "Print" your own design and possibly slap it on the back some how.. but it's not what I had in mind.. I thought there were lasers that eventually showed the design of the keyboard (turned off shows nothing but glass, turned on the keys turn on and light up) which would in turn design your own design on the glass panel. Nope.. :-\

Look Mah, similar design 3 years ago!
http://www.yankodesign.com/2008/06/12/lights-camera-glassaction/
Down to the lighting and camera. Seriously seems like he stole this guys idea, redesigned it and called it his own.

Last edited:

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I can't see myself buying one of these, especially at the price, as I type without looking. Though I can sometimes type on my iPad or iPod without looking, it's not for more than a few seconds.

However, the fact that it's one piece of class and can easily be cleaned is a great advantage to the design. Also great that it's safe from drink/food spills.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I can't see myself buying one of these, especially at the price, as I type without looking. Though I can sometimes type on my iPad or iPod without looking, it's not for more than a few seconds.

However, the fact that it's one piece of class and can easily be cleaned is a great advantage to the design. Also great that it's safe from drink/food spills.

Definitely agree with that last point. I've spilled on my MacBook(s) twice, and have been very freaked and overprotective about it happening again. Let's just say my friends don't like it :p But you can't blame me!

Anyways, I just got my iPad on black Friday, and today I realized how nice it is that I don't have to worry about things getting in the keys. It's one big slate of awesomeness! So simple. I wish normal keyboards could be like this without sacrificing usability. I don't know how we're gonna get rid of tactile keys.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
It'd be nice to see someone type on that; it seems like the wrist-rests would be better suited to center on the main keys, not the entire board.

No tactile feedback? No thanks. Plus who has $350 to spend on a mouse and keyboard (or rather who wants to spend that much on them).

There could be some sort of tiny, localized vibrate.

The reason the touchscreen works on the iPad is you're looking at it. I sure as heck don't want to be looking at my full length keyboard when I'm typing.

It'd be the software implementation that'll make or break this idea. I think it could be revolutionary if done right. Like an unobtrusive pop-up on screen for each key pressed [not necessary when typing out a document, but would be nice to have for other keys]. As for the looking, that's all just about building muscle memory. If there were some tiny bumps [like on F, J, and maybe the edges of the space bar] it'd be a lot easier.

how the hell do you rest your fingers on this without telling it to type?

This is really the strongest opposition that the concept has to overcome; I know that I do this all the time when thinking about what I want to type. The only thing that immediately comes to mind [without resorting to "suck it up and let your hands hover"] is a minimal level of power behind a stroke for it to register. But from personal experience, that'd be annoying; I type with light fingers.

It'll sure be interesting to see what this guy comes up with, though. Like I said, if done correctly, this could be a big shift in peripheral technology.

nick219

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
This will never work. People want to type on their computers without looking down at the keyboard. The reason multitouch keyboards work on iDevices is because the keyboard is on the screen, it is not a separate entity.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Buy a $350 keyboard and mouse from a startup and hope they stay in business and continue to produce drivers that work with future OS upgrades. Seems too risky.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The advantage!? Seriously people trying to invent new things without a purpous are just like 5 year old kids talking about cars that can raise up into street lights, oh wait that was an adult too.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Like it or not, this is the future of computer peripherals. May not be widespread now, but most likely be in 5-10 years.

Hey, at least the guy is inventing instead of sitting on a coach, reading forums like majority of macrumors users.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Like it or not, this is the future of computer peripherals. May not be widespread now, but most likely be in 5-10 years.

This needs advanced haptic feedback, like this, to be in any way practical, and obviously the price needs to come way, way down. Not sure that will happen in 5-10 years. Looks awesome, though.

The advantage!? Seriously people trying to invent new things without a purpous are just like 5 year old kids talking about cars that can raise up into street lights, oh wait that was an adult too.

The advantages of having a configurable keyboard like this is obvious. You can have commands labeled for specific apps, like games and film editing apps, (The Optimus Maximus is similar in this regard) have sliders for things like volume, and switch layouts on the fly--say, QWERTY to Dvorak. You could have widgets on your keyboard, too. Imagine having iStat-like widgets on the Numpad area, or a notifications center...possibilities are endless.

Buy a $350 keyboard and mouse from a startup and hope they stay in business and continue to produce drivers that work with future OS upgrades. Seems too risky.

The software will be open source, according to the article.

Last edited:

Skilty

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2011
Not forgetting the obvious, this thing will show up fingerprints like there is no tomorrow!

Like all things Apple, their keyboard is the best of both worlds. It looks good and it just works! Oh and it is £40 in the UK :rolleyes:

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I really think this looks awesome and I would pay $350 for a keyboard and trackpad if they work as advertised. Even with the complaints about possible tactile feed back issues I think it is worth $350 for the looks alone.

I will donate a small amount like $25 because I like the idea. My problem is spending $350 or more now with no guarantee that this product will ever see the light of day. There are so many things that can happen between now and distribution. Everything from technical issues to things that are out of the control of the designer like patent disputes that can stop a product from being released.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Need physical feedback, hate typing anything more than a web address on an iPad. Tips of fingers feel weird.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I think this is an concept thats great in theory (and science fiction movies) but doesnt really work in reality or they would allready exist.

In the real world, i need the physical sensation of pushing down a button while typing, with that i can basicly type withough looking either on the screen or my fingers and know if i made a mistake.

I also like to rest my fingers on the keyboard and even tap the keys while thinking.

Neither of these are possible with this cool but undesired unit.

Plus, its way too expensive.

----------

There could be some sort of tiny, localized vibrate.

QUOTE]

It has no moving parts.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I presume the lack of "deepness" in the course of the keyw will make they keyboard really uncomfortable.

But, well, very futuristic, for sure.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
It'd be nice if they could develop some API to let app developers use the keyboard space for customized controls. For example, a video player could move the controls down to the keyboard area to keep it off the screen. I started a thread about all-glass keyboards a while back, but I can't find it now... oh well. In 2-3 years these will be the norm.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
It'd be nice if they could develop some API to let app developers use the keyboard space for customized controls. For example, a video player could move the controls down to the keyboard area to keep it off the screen. I started a thread about all-glass keyboards a while back, but I can't find it now... oh well. In 2-3 years these will be the norm.

Why do you think it will be the norm? Try typing on your table while looking on your screen. Its not very comfortable. Now imagine a shiny glass surface instead. Im not too sure. (and im normally not the sceptic)

One thing is for sure though, it would make the office REALLY quiet :)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Why do you think it will be the norm?

Because technology tends to move forward, not backward.

Try typing on your table while looking on your screen. Its not very comfortable. Now imagine a shiny glass surface instead. Im not too sure. (and im normally not the sceptic)

??? Not really sure what you mean. I don't find keyboards particularly comfortable either.

One thing is for sure though, it would make the office REALLY quiet :)

Indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.