Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frjonah

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Almost Heaven... WV
not for me...

my $0.02:

The input device of the future will have the following characteristics:

1. It will be able to function as a stand-alone computer (similar to iPad)
  2. It will have haptic feedback (or similar) so that there is some sort of tactile element to typing/input
  3. It will be a screen, not a printed piece of glass... it probably will be flat though... this screen will allow an infinite number of layout options, as well as being a location to play games, watch movies, etc... (full computing capabilities with input being a temporary capability when needed)
  4. It will be able to seamlessly integrate to any computer/device you are near... as you come near a device it can connect to, an alert will offer said connection... no wires, no complexity... it just works...
  5. Oh yeah, and :apple: will make it first :D

unfortunately, this device falls short on all of these categories making it, in my opinion, a really nice looking but, ultimately, lackluster offering.

String

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
If you are using this keyboard to type for long periods would the tips of your fingers not get sore, hitting on a glass panel?

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
A few adjustments and fail.

Perhaps if the keys were in–set, and there was vibration feedback similar to my cell phone's touch screen. But who wants to tap on glass all–day long?

It's strictly for looks.

johnhesting

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
I prefer the standard apple keyboard where I can actually feel the button. Maybe if they kept it glass but raised the Keys up it would be effective. Either way cool idea, just questioning the practicality. (I have an iPad, but I use the Blue tooth keyboard for essays)

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
my $0.02:

The input device of the future will have the following characteristics:

1. It will be able to function as a stand-alone computer (similar to iPad)
  2. It will have haptic feedback (or similar) so that there is some sort of tactile element to typing/input
  3. It will be a screen, not a printed piece of glass... it probably will be flat though... this screen will allow an infinite number of layout options, as well as being a location to play games, watch movies, etc... (full computing capabilities with input being a temporary capability when needed)
  4. It will be able to seamlessly integrate to any computer/device you are near... as you come near a device it can connect to, an alert will offer said connection... no wires, no complexity... it just works...
  5. Oh yeah, and :apple: will make it first :D

unfortunately, this device falls short on all of these categories making it, in my opinion, a really nice looking but, ultimately, lackluster offering.

Good imput!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
who has $350 to spend on a mouse and keyboard

We spend tens of thousands at a time, on what are essentially heavily customizable thousand dollar mice every time wacom comes out with a new intuos update.

If their trackpad featured an option for absolute coordinates, and there's no reason not to, we'd buy a couple dozen of these and consider them a bargain.

reedfox11

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Pros: easy to clean, no moving parts (higher durability), good looks, good looks, good looks

Cons: no haptic feedback, no haptic feed back, no haptic feedback......

this was clearly not thought out properly. just because a many people are typing on touchscreens nowadays, doesnt mean they WANT to, its because they HAVE to. its a tradeoff between screen size and typing comfort. RIM failed to see that and now theyre stuck with the half screen half keyboard design.

Screensize > typing comfort (in mobile devices due to physical limitations)
typing comfort and screen size coexists in the laptop/desktop world, because there are no such limitations.

for now, the only market i see, is those public workstations at hotel lobbies, stores, etc.. price would be less of a problem; ease of cleaning and high durability is a great plus; and the good looks will put customers in awe.

so market this right, and u still have urself a nice product here....

What if they added a vibrator? like on some android phones when you type it vibrates lightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.