Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:23 AM   #1
thriii
macrumors 6502

Sleeve vs Hard Case for 13"?

Not sure which to get right now so what are the reasons to get 1 over the other?

I have a backpack with a spot for a laptop, but I'm not sure if thats enough to protect my macbook air so I'm thinking about a sleeve.. but then I worry about the macbook air when i take it out of the sleeve because of scratches and stuff like that.

The hard case I'm thinking about getting is the Incipio Feather:

does anyone have this case? how is it?

are there a such thing as a sleeve i can use while still keeping the hard case on?
(please dont say bookbook )
thriii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Smileyboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Smileyboy
Nice case!! I have a invisible shield and a bookbook on mine.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Risasi
macrumors 6502

I prefer a naked laptop with a sleeve. Right now I've got a thing for Booq Vyper sleeves...
Risasi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
ArchiMark
macrumors 6502

Can go either way....but sleeve with right material shouldn't scratch your MBA....ie, micro-fiber suede, neoprene, etc...
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:10 AM   #5
aeboi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Can go either way....but sleeve with right material shouldn't scratch your MBA....ie, micro-fiber suede, neoprene, etc...
I believe he's referring to scratches while it's out of the sleeve.
aeboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:15 AM   #6
UKmacman
macrumors regular

Call me paranoid but I am going for both! Really like the new air but I am still feeling like I need gloves to hold it with so I don;t scratch it. Just ordered the incipio feather and also have the slimline speck sleeve. Great combo me thinks!!!
UKmacman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:50 AM   #7
shadowjeff
macrumors regular

Quote:
I always wonder, would the material on WOOL sleeves scratch the mba?

Love the look of the wool sleeves though.
shadowjeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:57 AM   #8
ArchiMark
macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think wool would be a problem....
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:01 PM   #9
iRCL
macrumors 6502

You do realize the laptop is already made out of metal that doesn't really scratch unless you drag your keys along it... go walk around a university campus and you'll see 90% of MBP/MBA have no covers and 1% of them have any meaningful amount of scratches

I have kept my MBP/MBA's in a similar backpack or bag compartment for years, no problems. Who wants to buy a thin laptop anyhow, just to bundle it up in something thicker
iRCL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:04 PM   #10
ArchiMark
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
You do realize the laptop is already made out of metal that doesn't really scratch unless you drag your keys along it... go walk around a university campus and you'll see 90% of MBP/MBA have no covers and 1% of them have any meaningful amount of scratches

I have kept my MBP/MBA's in a similar backpack or bag compartment for years, no problems. Who wants to buy a thin laptop anyhow, just to bundle it up in something thicker
To each his own, but I'd much prefer to have at least a minimal amount of protection (ie, neoprene sleeve, etc...) on such a valuable device, especially if I were to accidentally drop it...

Just my 2....YMMV.....
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:58 PM   #11
thriii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKmacman View Post
Call me paranoid but I am going for both! Really like the new air but I am still feeling like I need gloves to hold it with so I don;t scratch it. Just ordered the incipio feather and also have the slimline speck sleeve. Great combo me thinks!!!
I thought about that but still not sure if thats the route I want to go in are you putting the macbook air inside the sleeve with the incipio feather still attached or do u plan on removing it before sliding it into the sleeve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post

I think I'm just a bit paranoid at the moment.. if I didnt get a hard case, what would be a great sleeve to get? Looking for something minimal in detail.. black.. if possible no big logo that stands out

----------

Quote:
To each his own, but I'd much prefer to have at least a minimal amount of protection (ie, neoprene sleeve, etc...) on such a valuable device, especially if I were to accidentally drop it...

Just my 2....YMMV.....
Dropping it is my biggest concern
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:33 PM   #12
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

I always put a clear skin from bestskinsever.com on my Macs (currently on my MBA). Makes me less paranoid about scratches and gives it a nicer grip than the bare aluminum.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:36 PM   #13
thriii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
I always put a clear skin from bestskinsever.com on my Macs (currently on my MBA). Makes me less paranoid about scratches and gives it a nicer grip than the bare aluminum.
thats a good idea! I was wondering if they had 1 for macbook airs.. so it seems it covers the whole thing.. does it also cover the screen?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Mayo7
macrumors member

If you're going to get a sleeve, I highly recommend the Sleevecase from Water Field. They are probably the highest quality and most protective sleeve out there with their 6mm neoprene padding(unless you go for a hard sleeve case, like the booq viper).

I handle my 13" Air somewhat rough (tossing it on the table, shoving it in my backpack full of stuff, tossing the backpack) when it's in the sleeve and it's been great so far.
Mayo7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:53 PM   #15
elpmas
macrumors 68000

Hardshell will get annoying later since you won't get to enjoy the design. I say get a sleeve. Doesn't have to be a specific one since they all do the same thing--protect your Mac.
iPhone 5 32gb
elpmas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:59 PM   #16
thormarketing
macrumors member

I got the speck clear case (so you still get to enjoy looks) and their sleeve. The sleeve is a bit tight and hard to put on sometimes, but it fits.

I'd like to try the incipio as well. The speck clear case would benefit from being a bit lighter on the display assembly. I wonder if the feather is much lighter?
thormarketing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:22 PM   #17
dmk1974
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriii View Post
thats a good idea! I was wondering if they had 1 for macbook airs.. so it seems it covers the whole thing.. does it also cover the screen?
No, their skin does not cover the screen. It covers the outer lid, bottom, trackpad, palm rest areas, and a few of the thin edges. I actually like leaving the screen as-is since I don't ever touch it.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:13 PM   #18
Funkymonk
macrumors 6502a

I'm getting the incipio feather case and the switch easy thins. can never be too careful
Funkymonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:21 AM   #19
PathVu
macrumors member

WaterField Smart Case

I use this sleeve....perfect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	macbookair-smartcase-front-lg.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	314487  
Mid 2011 MacBook Air 13" 1.867Mhz i7 256GB
PathVu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:54 AM   #20
AIR-S
macrumors newbie

I have got a incipio feather case on my 11" air and I can't think of anything bad to say about it!

It doesn't make my air feel any bigger than it did before and provides plenty of protection! Plus it fits snug enough so that no dirt gets behind it!!

I also bought a incase sleeve from eBay and it still fits in it with the feather Case on!! Obviously it is a bit tighter than before but it does still fit!! I Use the sleeve mainly for when it's in my backpack!

I just like to know that it isn't going to get damaged easily I know they are pretty hard machines anyway but I'd rather be safe than sorry!! especially as its my pride and joy!!

Rich
AIR-S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 11:21 AM   #21
macb0y
macrumors newbie

i'm using this at the moment.,
http://www.uniqcases.com/index.php/c...okair-105.html
macb0y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:01 PM   #22
Pedro Julio
macrumors member

I tend not to be very rough on my laptops, so I just use a sleeve. I figure the designers and engineers would have added another case if it really needed one.

Got this sleeve for my MBA for $10:
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:18 PM   #23
Kendo
macrumors 6502a

This is what I use for my 13 and it is AWESOME.

http://www.themacherald.com/2011/08/...ba-review.html

Kendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:46 PM   #24
thriii
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathVu View Post
I use this sleeve....perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
This is what I use for my 13 and it is AWESOME.

http://www.themacherald.com/2011/08/...ba-review.html

Both very nice sleeves! I have been looking for one that completely covers the laptop but these are pretty nice.. I like the booq viper so far and think I'm going to go with a sleeve instead of a hardcase after thinking about it and some of the replies here.

just wish it was a bit more simple.. not looking for much just a simple design that offers great protection all around. Is there anything that would protect my air as much or close to the booq viper that is minimal in design?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:17 PM   #25
footprints07
macrumors newbie

Hi, got a question for people using the Booq viper 13" (I suppose all the viper series are hard case?) for the MBA, does the Air sit nicely inside the case or can you actually hear noise as you carry it around? I am asking because I think viper is for unibody so it fits a MBP which is thicker in height.
Thanks in advance
footprints07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air